mhdt havana vs. monarchy nm24
Dec 17, 2008 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jsnyc

New Head-Fier
wondering if anyone anywhere has heard these two tube dacs and can give me any impressions of their signatures compared to each other. please. i'll be your best friend forever.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 27
I am interested in possibly buying one of these DACs.

Are they both NOS?

Doesnt the NM24 support 24bit sources as well as 16bit sources?

Anyone have some comparisons yet?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 27
Wow, these were my final two as well. The only reason I picked up the Monarchy was because I got a super deal on it. I don't think you will be disappointed with either. I'd be very interested in hearing the impressions of someone who has heard both.

One plus for the Monarchy is that you are basically getting two DACs: a solid state and a tube dac. I prefer the tube DAC but the solid state is no slouch and is good to have as a reference once you start tube rolling.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 27
I would really like to find a <$1,000 NOS DAC (non-upsampling/non-oversampling) that supports 16/44.1, 16/48 and 24/96. Seems like most NOS DACs do not support 24bit word length (aka bit depth).

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 27
Yeah, I just found out that price via email today. Very tempting now!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and CCPoon from Monarchy also said you can totally remove the tubes if you only use the Solid State DAC. I thought that was interesting. *shrug*

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 27
Don't think you want to remove those tubes. I originally configured my system to use the tube dac only. I liked it so much that instead of feeding my line out from my pre-existing preamplifier to my amplifiers, i fed it through the line stage in the monarchy and then ran from that line out to the amplifiers. that means my old preamp acts largely as a switch but its remote control also governs the system's volume, even though the monarchy has a master volume control.

so now all my sources -- phono, tuner, even casette deck -- are kissed by one set of tubes and the music server (apple tv) by both sets in the monarchy. this is the only real modification i've made to my system in more than 20 years and i'm really really pleased with it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 27
FWIW, I have the Monarchy and absolutely love it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't think you want to remove those tubes. I originally configured my system to use the tube dac only. I liked it so much that instead of feeding my line out from my pre-existing preamplifier to my amplifiers, i fed it through the line stage in the monarchy and then ran from that line out to the amplifiers. that means my old preamp acts largely as a switch but its remote control also governs the system's volume, even though the monarchy has a master volume control.

Nice! I am currently planning a speaker rig and had not thought of a configuration like this.

Is your pre-existing preamp active or passive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back