MHDT Havana DAC
Apr 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #2,236 of 2,680
Looking for a good CD transport for my new Havana Balanced. (yes, the antiquated CD is still alive...). For some reason, I've always loved top loading transports (just seems to be less moving parts). Woo Audio WTP-1 looks amazing, but not for sale yet. What about Aune Cyclone? Or if I could find a Stello CDT-1, I would be happy...

Any other transports I should be looking at? Budget of $1k, but can do up and down as needed (like most people, would prefer down..)

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #2,237 of 2,680
Do you absolutely need a cd player or just looking for a drive ? If only a drive I suggest you the Squeezebox touch (still available at 250-300 euros) : it's a good drive with better ps and/or audio fidelity mods. I can't recommend cd players which are good drives as well to you as I don't know well these products.

Quote:

I do not know what to say about it. We are very pleased with the quality of the sound provided by this DAC. In some ways it is possible to exaggerate the importance of various changes. Personally I don't think they can compare with the replacement of some capacitors (for example: Black Gate in the digital section, or CuTF on the input/output sections), or with the replacement of tubes, chips, conectors...

Certainly not, I would think it deal with same improvements than changing connectors (rca, bnc...) by high end ones but may be on a lower level : may be better precision, 3d soundstage, micro details... For 100 euros can worth a try, for 300 it's risky.

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,238 of 2,680
Yes, definitely need a CD player. Has lots and lots of them and I don't want to add them to a drive. Cal me old fashioned, but I actually like being able to touch the media (and that's why I love records...)

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2,239 of 2,680
First time I had time to spend some serious time with the Havana and my jaw will hurt tomorrow from this big grin... Live recordings sound, well, live! First time I've ever heard digital sound like my analog rig... Impressed!!!

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #2,240 of 2,680
Ok, so I've decided to kind of blow the budget... It'll be a CEC TL1. Heard that transport a few years back with Thiel CS7.2 driven by some very large (and I'm certain ultra expensive) VTL's. It was truly glorious and if the CEC can only bring me a small step closer to that, I'll be all smiles (it's already sounding amazing just with the Havana!)

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #2,241 of 2,680
Quote:
Ok, so I've decided to kind of blow the budget... It'll be a CEC TL1. Heard that transport a few years back with Thiel CS7.2 driven by some very large (and I'm certain ultra expensive) VTL's. It was truly glorious and if the CEC can only bring me a small step closer to that, I'll be all smiles (it's already sounding amazing just with the Havana!)

CEC TL1 is one of the best world's transports. I've been thinking to get it for myself, too.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,242 of 2,680
Hi,All some findings on Bendix 6385 tubes, i will start by saying not all tubes are equal someone in a past post had made a comment about a 1964 Bendix sounding a bit itch in the vocals. I purchased a 1964 Nos Bendix did not like it lack of bass vocals where just not sweet in fact the Bendix 2C51 sounded better and more bass.
All was forgiven when my 1955 Red Bendix arrived as this has it all full bass great detail full vocals a fantastic tube very happy.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2,243 of 2,680
Quote:
quote:

"<<Teflon capacitors take a solid 400 hours to reach about 90% of their true potential and their true colors open up at the 600 hour mark (25 days). It has also been established that they will even continue to change, ever so slightly, up to 1200 hours (50 days). You may not notice these changes and I only mention it to give you an indication of the characteristics of Teflon. During the break-in cycle of these capacitors, they will go through different stages.

One you reach the 400 hour mark (16 days), you are starting to reach sonic nirvana and it will not be long before you are experiencing the truest potential of Teflon capacitors. It's been a long road but you will probably find the journey well worth it. This is the point where the midrange magic is apparent. You should notice a sense of texture and realism that is uncanny. The bass is quick and firm and the highs extended with a great sense of air. You will now start realizing a wide, spacious presentation as well. At this point, I don't receive any phone calls at all as you will be too involved in your music to want to waste time talking to me...>>"

..back on an old issues which refers to the 0,22 V-Cap CuTF capacitor:

I want to confirm what is write here and to draw attention about CuTF burning-in (I am referring on especially to the 0,22uF capacitance). This capacitor is burning-in extremely hard on this position!! Considering that, I perceive increasingly better what is narrated here about sound effects: the bass is quick and firm, the midrange are coherent and reliable; the highs extended with a great sense of air; a wide, spacious prezentation as well. And last but not least, is apparent a clear improvement in the texture (realistically).
Ok. I estimate that CuTF have about 900 hours of burning-in...
biggrin.gif
In the range which is marked with four houndred >> eight/nine houndred hours, their sound is changing a lot from one week to another, and only gradually you realize what they prepare. I would say it is extremely annoying to listen to in the meantime. These capacitors are for those who want to exercise the patience!
ksc75smile.gif

May 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2,245 of 2,680
Regarding the very low price of Vintage Jupiter cap and the huge burning in time period of vcap cutf I think I'll try Vintage Tone Jupiter on c11 and vcap cutf on c9-c10 only first. It would give me another possible improvement after if I need as i think vcap cutf should bring some extra improvements compared to Vintage Tone. But it seems more logical to try Jupiter on c11 first because of price and burning in.

I'm still patienting to find a better no-cd drive before though (streamer, audio pc...). 

@Robert : you're selling your havana after all that work on it and all your experiments ? I know it was also a hobby but according to your comments you like it, I'm surprised. You found something better ?

May 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #2,246 of 2,680
Mako44 I liked my modded Havana very much. It sounded really great.
I finished my new project based on TDA1541A chip. I've been waiting for chassis and Vcaps CuTF yet.
I didn't need two DACs, decided to sell one.

First minutes of working my new babe.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,248 of 2,680
Quote:
It looks very nice, the conception is completely yours ?

2 rcore ! This is heatsinks near Elna caps ? It sounds better than modded havana even without vcap cutf ?

Board is taken from analogmetric, my choice is what components are used.
It sounds different than Havana.

Yes ,there are heatsinks near the black gates and elna.
[size=medium]Built-in seven independent regulation circuits for dedicated power supply to each block[/size]

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #2,249 of 2,680
Havana sounds absolutely great with the full 0,22uF CuTF burning-in!!
ksc75smile.gif
I am absolutely convinced that CuTF is worth every penny for total upgrade. Who does not believe me should listen the full-upgraded Havana to understand what I want to express. It sounds special indeed.
smile.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #2,250 of 2,680
Does anyone know where I can get my balanced Havana modded?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back