MHDT Havana DAC
Jan 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,651 of 2,680
Fathead,
You will not hear the difference between the two.
Do what you want. For me you can use 15kV value and 1kA current, and speedlight fast components.
You will not hear any improvement but why not to try. :)
Post your impressions.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,653 of 2,680
The most important  parameter is of these diodes - "The RHRP8120 is a hyperfast diode with soft recovery characteristics (< 55ns). It has half the recovery time of ultrafast diodes and is of silicon nitride passivated ion-implanted epitaxial planar construction" - that is the issue !
Cheers,

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #1,654 of 2,680

Quote:
Looks like loserica is using Schottky diodes as well....
wink_face.gif

[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]Yes, SCHOTTKY diodes.[/size][/size]..
smile.gif

How's the sound after you install Auricap?

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,655 of 2,680

Quote:
Mako

My modded Havana has a huge soundstage and reached further and deeper than the original, the information that the Dac chips can resolve from the data is rendered beautifully -but- the Havana can not yet resolve as much information as my Audiogd Ref7.

The Audiogd ref 7 is known to be very detailed and may be also quite analytical depending on the other elements of the hifi system with its saber chip so it's not a shame the havana is lower on this aspect. I'm not a fan of huge detailed sources anyway, and not at all of analytical ones, I much favor musicality and rich timbers.

From what I read, changing main components give a better aeration between instruments, transparency, more timber nuances, bigger soundstage and also dynamics (not sure for this); that's what I'm looking for so I may try the improvement. Can be fun anyway.

If tweaked Havana would balance the audiogd dac and be worst only on details it would fine for me.

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,656 of 2,680

Quote:
Good information here

Different approaches at work....I will stick with Schottky for my diode of choice.

Amazing because the RHRP8120 are 8a 1200v.

Seems like this Dac will accept any value of any component inside.
I made a mistake and put resistors in 1000 times weaker than the ones rated and no failure or difference in sound.

You are absolutely right to decide by yourself - just check here and there before final step. Michael Percy is a high end guru - http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf  and he says -
Soft Recovery (FRED) & Schottky Diodes
"Fast Recovery Epitaxial Diode.The FRED soft recovery and Schottky diodes are the high
speed device of choice for rectification. Their fast response time, soft recovery, and lack of
ringing and overshoot places them a big step beyond other high speed diodes which have
much higher noise and distortion. Replacing your diode bridges with these (4 usually
required) will yield significant improvements including increased dynamics, dramatically
lower noise, and reduced grain and glare. Use the 1000V/1200V types where your B+ is
above 350VDC or so, thereby allowing for turn on surges. We carry diodes of this type from
Vishay, IXYS, and Fairchild, including the exceptionally soft recovery "Stealth" types. Please
note that the soft recovery characteristic of these diodes is far more important than the
absolute speed (trr) of one or the other."
Cheers,

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #1,657 of 2,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw Realmaasy sold his havanah for a m2tech young dac so don't really know what to think...

Here I am, I'm still subscribed to the thread, although now is all about mods.
You're right, I sold the Havana, as I felt was the bottle neck of my system.
I'm now using the Young, and I just bought the Palmer (battery power) as well. The two dacs sound completely different, and I guess the Young will not work very well in bright systems.
The USB input is great, so I could sell the Halide Bridge as well.
I'm happy about the sound, but I ended up upgrading the Stax amp  :-O

But, I'd never changed the source without listening to it first, so my suggestion is obvious, try to get a demo and listen to it in your system.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,658 of 2,680

Quote:

Apparently the Havana can use a wide range in values for parts. For example Jiun said the output caps can range from 0.47 to 10u and >50V is OK.  So I went ahead and sent him an email about the range in values for other parts.  

That's right and depends on the input impedance of next component in the system - preamp or whaever. In my case for example Chris VenHouse suggested 3,3 uF in order to get better /cleaner and deeper/ bass.
Cheers,

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #1,659 of 2,680
Quote:

You're right, I sold the Havana, as I felt was the bottle neck of my system.
I'm now using the Young, and I just bought the Palmer (battery power) as well. The two dacs sound completely different, and I guess the Young will not work very well in bright systems.

But, I'd never changed the source without listening to it first, so my suggestion is obvious, try to get a demo and listen to it in your system.

Quote:

BTW, its not really "details" that are meant by resolution.  The Ref 7 is not as detailed as say a LavryDA10 which I have owned, but it does retrieve more information from the source data. When I say resolution I mean just more information, not crisp, hard, detailed sound. Maybe its hard to explain, but sound wise the Ref7 is extremely musical and not harsh sounding at all by any stretch of the imagination.

Hi, thanks for your comments. Well I guess a more neutral source would be better in my new hifi system as my amp is already with tubes - even if it doesn't sound that tuby but quite realistic - and the M2tech young could fit better but as I plan to buy a streamer like Linn akurate ds (not this one as I dont like the sound but same type of streamer) when there will be a good one I guess the Havanah can stay a bit with me. Ideally I'd like to have a dac sounding like Eera or Primare cd players if you know them : refined, nuanced, soft but entertaining, neutral and realistic but musical, detailed but not analitycal and cold.

I don't think I can get that with havana (and dacs of that range) but can try to approach until I find a good streamer and can pay it. FT-3 Russian 0,22uF cap looks good for this according to Robert comment but its size is a problem, I may consider the mundorf silver/oil instead. Elna silmic capacitors + Auricap look good too for this. I will se for the rest.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #1,661 of 2,680
However what a mess to find a website located in europa who sells all these parts !
blink.gif
  By now I found Parts Connexion located in canada. Well, if they have everything it will easier and cheaper anyway.

I will also buy a malaysian chip in TI also as ebay ones are not japan/korean guaranteed, too bad.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #1,662 of 2,680
Quote:
The size of FT3 is really a problem, you can fit it in the case you like it, sounds fantastic. I  encourage you to try it. It's a cheap one.

I'm a real soldery and tweaking begginer so may spend a whole month with this
tongue.gif
. However do you think put two jupiter output caps instead of mundorf silver/gold would be better ? I saw Fathead did that

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,663 of 2,680

Quote:

I'm a real soldery and tweaking begginer so may spend a whole month with this
tongue.gif
. However do you think put two jupiter output caps instead of mundorf silver/gold would be better ? I saw Fathead did that

Jupiter HT and Mundorfs silver/gold are I'm sure different sounding. You ask me which are better, I didn't compare them, I think it is a matter of taste. I'm sure both are great.

I also tried Jensens 2,7uF 630V Copper Foil as output caps, really great, liked them better than Mundorfs silver/gold, but due to their size (much bigger than Mundorfs) I couldn't fit them. I'm gonna try different values (smaller) in the future. I'm fully satisfied with Mundorfs silver/gold for the time being.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #1,664 of 2,680
yes everyone looks happy with mundorf silver/gold output caps, I was just wondering if it wouldn't be a good deal to put Jupiter ones instead with Mundorf Silver/oil 0,22uF cap (as the ft3-russian is a bit big to fit into). I'll try both if jupiter output caps are not too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back