MHDT Havana DAC
Dec 19, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #1,561 of 2,680
I am not for or against MDHT, but I think the last two comments are a bit unfair.
Which electronic/electrical appliances you buy give you the complete schematic in its manual?  Or does MS give you a copy of the source code when you buy a copy of Windows?
Self repair or modification is always done at a user's skill and risk.  If you don't like it, tough, go and buy something else.
No company is going to give you the schematic so you can copy their design, what is next do you want the PCB design file as well?

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #1,562 of 2,680

Quote:
I am not for or against MDHT, but I think the last two comments are a bit unfair.
Which electronic/electrical appliances you buy give you the complete schematic in its manual?  Or does MS give you a copy of the source code when you buy a copy of Windows?
Self repair or modification is always done at a user's skill and risk.  If you don't like it, tough, go and buy something else.
No company is going to give you the schematic so you can copy their design, what is next do you want the PCB design file as well?

The schematic is not necessary for copying the Havana. I can personally do some fakes for you if you want. How many?
You can find many FAMOUS designs in the internet like audio note, stax and many more.

Like I said before Havana is made of very cheap components, I checked it out replacing almost every part of it with another ALWAYS getting better result..

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #1,563 of 2,680
I am not commenting on whether or not the components are cheap. 
I am commenting on the fact that you expect a company to release its schematic.  Not many company will do that. 
Design of different products floating around the internet is most likely either from internal repair manual, or reverse enginneer by someone else.
The design of a product is the IP of a company, it should at least be respected as such.
A large amount of what you buy in a product is the design and engineering cost, parts are often a small part of it.
If you don't like it, go and buy something else or modify it, don't whinge about it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,567 of 2,680

Quote:
I heard recently that 60% of possitive opinions of any products are posted by people sponsored by companies to increase their sales results.
I do not suggest anything, but I see you here for the first time.

Can you provide a source for that number? I'm pretty sure that most of the positive reviews of the Havana are not from people sponsored by them, myself included.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #1,568 of 2,680
The first thing the Havana has taught me: Cheap sounds pretty damn good.

The second?: Ignorance is, indeed, bliss.

:wink:

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #1,569 of 2,680

Quote:

Sorry but I have several products at home of LINN, KENWOOD, HARMAN KARDON and I think these are not comparable with Lilliputs but all of them are providing very profound schematics and manuals. From another side you read on the MHDT website - http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/havana.htm - [size=medium]No digital filter, no Op-amp ![/size]
[size=medium]But you check and find they are using the internal opamps of the PCM56P chips - so how do you call this ?  [/size][size=12.0pt]In one review in the  The Audio Critic magazine [/size] Mr.David Rich says - To see high-feedback integrated op-amps used in an expensive unit is equivalent to finding a rabbi eating a bacon cheeseburger.  Please think about it,
Cheers,

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #1,571 of 2,680
Agreed. I cannot see why a firm is obligated to disclose the schematic. You paid for the product, not the schematic. There is nothing wrong with MHDT.

Quote:
Oh-well.

Don't forget the first rule "GOAL" of any business.  Do I need to say it?  To make a profit.

You can not fault any company for trying to achieve this goal.

Also although it would be nice for Mdht to hand over the schematic, they do not "have" to do this, they do not owe anyone schematics of the product with the purchase. An owners manual perhaps but not the schematic. Mdht has the right to publish the schematic or not, and we have to respect that right.

About the parts choice...well the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #1,572 of 2,680

Quote:
Agreed. I cannot see why a firm is obligated to disclose the schematic. You paid for the product, not the schematic. There is nothing wrong with MHDT.

MHDT advertised their Havana was not using OPAMPS that's why I had purchased it.
I was deceived and now I'm demanding the schematic to remove low quality internal OPMAPs out of the circuit.
I spent much money for the DAC itself and upgrade, I can confess it sounds great now (after deep surgery), but
it would sound much better without the OPAMPS.

So Dear MHDT, do not cheat us any more about your non-opamp brilliant constructions and disclose the schematic so we could
clean up this constructional mess.

If I had known tha Havana used internal OPAMPS, I would have never even considered it to buy.. !!!!

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #1,574 of 2,680
I know what active stage buffer is. I'm not so stupid as you think.
PCM56P chip has two kinds of outputs, one "Iout" - 13th leg the other "Vout" - 9th leg, you should take signal from Iout (as you advertised non-opmap construction) and use tube to convert it to Vout.
There is nothing wrong with using internal low quality opmaps , but do not cheat people that Havana has no opamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back