MHDT Havana DAC
Jun 23, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,261 of 2,680

Quote:
What purpose did Texas Instruments build factories in several countries doing the same. (Korea, Japan, Malaysia)?. I suppose they don't have its own factory at all.
They simply order their DACs in varies factories choosing the best offer. (the cheapest).
I think there is no quality standard. This is my opinion only. I may be wrong.

Absolutely correct.

TI owns the specs for the product, they survey the world for a chip maker who can produce the chips in the amount required "to spec" for the least amount of money.

However all products, from burgers to hotdogs to volume knobs are made with quality. No quality specs = you turn a product on and it might work, or blow up or who knows what.

Done deal.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,262 of 2,680

Quote:
Absolutely correct.

TI owns the specs for the product, they survey the world for a chip maker who can produce the chips in the amount required "to spec" for the least amount of money.

However all products, from burgers to hotdogs to volume knobs are made with quality. No quality specs = you turn a product on and it might work, or blow up or who knows what.

Done deal.

So why does the same product made in various factories sound different? The answer is:  because it's made of different materials.

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,265 of 2,680
popcorn.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #1,266 of 2,680

Quote:
What purpose did Texas Instruments build factories in several countries doing the same. (Korea, Japan, Malaysia)?. I suppose they don't have its own factory at all.
They simply order their DACs in various factories choosing the best offer. (the cheapest).
I think there is no quality standard. This is my opinion only. I may be wrong.

Supply chain management. It is a complex management of parts, components and manufacturing of a product. From component lead time, customer projected orders, inventory control, etc...

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,268 of 2,680
Let me give you a hypothetical situation. Believe me this happens all the time. A sales account manager gets a call for an order of 5k DAC chips to be delivered at the beginning of July. That's a very small order. So the sales guy calls the factory in Malaysia, they can't do it, their line is tide up for the next 6 months from an Apple's big order. He calls the factory in in Japan, same thing, Motorola has a big order for the next 3 months. He calls the factory on Korea, they have an idle time of one week from the beginning of August, 5k DACs can be made in a week but parts have to be ordered and what is the lead time on these parts? The sales account manager calls back the customer, he can have it in 8 weeks.

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #1,269 of 2,680

Quote:
Let me give you a hypothetical situation. Believe me this happens all the time. A sales account manager gets a call for an order of 5k DAC chips to be delivered at the beginning of July. That's a very small order. So the sales guy calls the factory in Malaysia, they can't do it, their line is tide up for the next 6 months from an Apple's big order. He calls the factory in in Japan, same thing, Motorola has a big order for the next 3 months. He calls the factory on Korea, they have an idle time of one week from the beginning of August, 5k DACs can be made in a week but parts have to be ordered and what is the lead time on these parts? The sales account manager calls back the customer, he can have it in 8 weeks.

However, even though all the factories produce the exact same product from the exact same spec Audiophile consumers think that the Japanese product sounds best.

Now the Sales account manager is stuck with 5K chips that were to be destine for the Audiophile market that he can't move because the ink says Korea instead of Japan.

Go figure
blink.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,270 of 2,680

Quote:

However, even though all the factories produce the exact same product from the exact same spec Audiophile consumers think that the Japanese product sounds best.

Now the Sales account manager is stuck with 5K chips that were to be destine for the Audiophile market that he can't move because the ink says Korea instead of Japan.

Go figure
blink.gif

Not really. The customer can go somewhere else if he wants a DAC chip with a made in Japan stamp. The machines that make the chips are all the same, the manufacturing process is all the same.

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,271 of 2,680

Quote:
Not really. The customer can go somewhere else if he wants a DAC chip with a made in Japan stamp. The machines that make the chips are all the same, the manufacturing process is all the same.

The only place the consumer can do is dig around in old vintage gear with old used chips that were made in Japan. Because the Japanese factory that once made the chips is now tied up making chips for TV's and Phones.

Such is the very real situation we are in today.

But this consumer [knowing that all the chips are the same] will go ahead and purchase the Malaysian chips and be on his marry way....
L3000.gif

BTW, Mouser informed me that BB is no longer making the chips anywhere, so once all inventories are gone the chip is history.  Mouser only has 42 of the K series chips left. Ebay has none...

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,272 of 2,680
There may very well be differences in sound, the wafer, components inside, manufacturing environment, etc... But the measured specs are within the limit but borderline. I've experienced this before so sometimes the limits are "relaxed".

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #1,274 of 2,680
Hi,

A significant change which will highlights entire rig is the source! Say to those who does not have an Apple Mac.
Operating system and the hardware are superior than `classical` computers. Differences in sound playback are substantial.  We can say that Havana has indeed a beautiful sound-stage and sound elements are well placed in `listening space`.
smile.gif

Thank`s.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #1,275 of 2,680
Guys,
I think something  is very wrong  around here. We are talking about music – not technical developments. Music is what matters and everything else is just computers,  oscilloscopes and whatever. You have to know that that dac chips, caps, resistors, connectors,  interconnects, power cords etc . are supposed  to bring your sound  at home as much as possible to the real musical ambient which you experienced. But how do you now   the “real’ taste of acoustic if you have never heard alive Nigel Kennedy, Marcus Miller, Chick Corea, Ibrahim Ferrer, Al  DiMeola, Antonio Forcione, Philharmonic orchestras etc. etc.  Please do not try to impose  an abstract opinion which is not based on the real musical effect of the components and rigs. Otherwise there is a chance to wrongly influence some young /or may be some not so young/ people in their sonic imaginations and research in this field.
Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back