MHDT Havana DAC
Dec 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,341 of 2,680
  Thanks Mako,

I installed chips "K grade" and "Japan Made" and i have a 6385 Bendix 
I planned to change the outputs caps also.
Then I would change the transformer.
What i am looking for are the connectors.

Cheers

It was kind of a bitch for me to ID these too.  I bought all the necessary Molex terminations and housings from Mouser.  Here's the list from my order:

538-08-56-0110
08-56-0110
Molex Headers & Wire Housings
CRIMP TERM 22-30 GLD
US HTS: 8536904000 ECCN:EAR99 COO:US

538-22-01-3037
22-01-3037
HSG 3P W/RAMP/RIBS
US HTS: 8538906000 ECCN:EAR99 COO:US

538-08-56-0108
08-56-0108
TERMINAL 22-26 BULK
US HTS: 8536904000 ECCN:EAR99 COO:US

538-09-50-3041
09-50-3041
HSG 4P W/LKG RAMP
US HTS: 8536694040 ECCN:EAR99 COO:US

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #2,343 of 2,680
Hello everybody,

Shinkoh Tantalum resistors 390K 1w are out of stock everywhere.
If someone have 2 for sale, I BUY .
Otherwise, What other resistors can i pu at this place ? Audio note tantalum are good ?

I found and ordered 4x Shinkoh 100R

Thanks
STEF

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,346 of 2,680
...few words about S-Caps
I decided to keep Havana (at least one time) for one reason: to see if the sound improve toward what I wanted, or not.
So, Rike S-Caps brought a generous sound-stage, a lot of details, a good spacialize of instruments, higher coherence, more present treble, etc. , BUT after 150 hours the medium frequencies sound unsatisfactory for the price of these capacitors.
rolleyes.gif
Now, there will be two possibilities: the capacitors aren't burn enough or something does not fit here. Voices seems a little inhibited, thin and rough at the same time, without the initial refinement. This "extra" resolution looks at the moment that broked the tonal balance, something is not settled, cleared in sound.

I'll see how it shows the situation after the next one hundred hours, if there is a favorable outcome and if the above mentioned is due to insufficient running. We'll see..

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2,347 of 2,680
...few words about S-Caps
I decided to keep Havana (at least one time) for one reason: to see if the sound improve toward what I wanted, or not.
So, Rike S-Caps brought a generous sound-stage, a lot of details, a good spacialize of instruments, higher coherence, more present treble, etc. , BUT after 150 hours the medium frequencies sound unsatisfactory for the price of these capacitors. :rolleyes: Now, there will be two possibilities: the capacitors aren't burn enough or something does not fit here. Voices seems a little inhibited, thin and rough at the same time, without the initial refinement. This "extra" resolution looks at the moment that broked the tonal balance, something is not settled, cleared in sound.

I'll see how it shows the situation after the next one hundred hours, if there is a favorable outcome and if the above mentioned is due to insufficient running. We'll see..

Great, I ordered Rike S caps for my crossovers 2 days ago. Thanks for making me waste my money! J/k I'm sure things will clear up with more burn in. Other reports say vocals are a particular strong suit of this cap. Lets see.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #2,348 of 2,680
Great, I ordered Rike S caps for my crossovers 2 days ago. Thanks for making me waste my money! J/k I'm sure things will clear up with more burn in. Other reports say vocals are a particular strong suit of this cap. Lets see.

Don't worry Eugene, vocals have a superior texture compared with Auricap, I feel something there.. the key is patience, but I must confess that I've lost my patience with Havana.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #2,349 of 2,680

YES, the problem was the insufficient burning!!
smile.gif

<I can not abstain from a new comparison from my memory with ARC DAC7>.

Vocals getting better, more beautiful. The sound loss their "harsh character" or what I called too colorful or artificial..
It is now incredible what did those capacitors. I'm sure that the sound-stage, details, the separation between instruments, and probably imaging are about on the same level with DAC7. I do not remember to be better with ARC. Speed, timing, dynamics, the tonal balance, hmm..I am thinking that Havana can not be better but even to much weaker. It was what I would call closer to perfection when I heard Dac7.
So, voices became more realistic, extensive and firm and are expressed with a superior texture, certainly richer compared with Auricap (differences are consistent).  Probably the vocals will sound slightly more natural and refined with ARC, but here I can not see critical differences from now on.

My only categorical reservation would be on the bass side, if I were to compare the two DACs. With ARC bass is more consistent, with a slightly better extension and expressed more complete, more nuanced in frequency. But I say that you can live peacefully with Havana becouse the bass quantity and quality is still impressive compared with the "stock" version.
ksc75smile.gif

Personal I like more the treble with Havana overall. The difference it makes by the upper treble area. "Highs" are somewhat attenuated on the upper area with ARC. The decay level of middle treble is similar for both DACs. Still, the transparency seems better with Havana (of course minor differences..)

The wide and depth of the scene is impressive with Rike S-Caps, the layering is very different compared with Auricap! There are better discernible fine micro-details on the background and some noises that I couldn't hear at all before. Audition is very relaxed becouse S-Caps are very coherent capacitors!! ..superior refinement and musicality.
smile.gif

I think that the change of seven 0,10uF film capacitors with Rike S-cap is one of the most efficient upgrade for Havana.

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2,350 of 2,680
I just replaced the ClarityCap MR in my Magnepan 1.6 series crossover with Rike S caps. With only 9 hours on them...

I am astounded! WOW!

The separation, precision, detail and simultaneous coherence, flow, dynamics, balance, natural tone... These are going to end up in every piece I have modded in one way or another. If I had to nit pick, once again I would agree with Tony Gee - a little more richness, though they are in no way lightweight or thin - and tonal color, but just a little. These are more honest caps than Audyn True Copper, but True Copper have more character. More lush, bold, saturated. When I think of TC sonic signature SET always comes to mind. TC makes me feel more cozy and immersed but Rike S cap is at least equally engaging if not more as the music just flows so nicely and pulls you in. Separation of instruments is exceptional. Every section in orchestra is expressed justly, right hand and left hand piano are never confused or drowned out by one or the other. Rike S cap does classical music like... I don't even know what to say but it is fantastic.

Still need lots of burn-in from which I expect more delicacy and refinement.

I will pony up for the 0.1uF pieces in both my Havanas, no doubt. Another good thing is that they come in large values, up to 22uF at least. I have been using Mundorf Supreme in such cases with better caps in parallel and it has worked well for me but Rike S caps are going to replace those.

More later.

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,351 of 2,680
The separation, precision, detail and simultaneous coherence, flow, dynamics, balance, natural tone... These are going to end up in every piece I have modded in one way or another. If I had to nit pick, once again I would agree with Tony Gee - a little more richness, though they are in no way lightweight or thin - and tonal color, but just a little. These are more honest caps than Audyn True Copper, but True Copper have more character. More lush, bold, saturated. When I think of TC sonic signature SET always comes to mind. TC makes me feel more cozy and immersed but Rike S cap is at least equally engaging if not more as the music just flows so nicely and pulls you in. Separation of instruments is exceptional. Every section in orchestra is expressed justly, right hand and left hand piano are never confused or drowned out by one or the other. Rike S cap does classical music like... I don't even know what to say but it is fantastic.

I'm glad to hear it.
smile.gif
You pointed very well: separation of instruments is very good with Rike S-Cap. Another important thing, these capacitors express the sound in a coherent and realistic manner (justly).
The feeling that you have is an emotional participation to the sound.

Still need lots of burn-in from which I expect more delicacy and refinement.

It is true. You'll need a minimum 200/300 hours.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,352 of 2,680
Whoa, smaller values of Duelund CAST Cu are now available.  Tempted to replace the 0.01uF CuTF caps... at $450 *ouch*

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_duelund_pio_elec_new.html

Hell, I am tempted to build a custom enclosure and replace ALL film caps with Duelund - the KING of caps!  It would only cost upwards of $2k, not counting the output caps I already have. 
blink.gif

I wish Rike would make a copper foil version of the S-Cap.  I bet that would sound fantastic.  Would be pricey though.

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #2,353 of 2,680
  Whoa, smaller values of Duelund CAST Cu are now available.  Tempted to replace the 0.01uF CuTF caps... at $450 *ouch*

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_duelund_pio_elec_new.html

Hell, I am tempted to build a custom enclosure and replace ALL film caps with Duelund - the KING of caps!  It would only cost upwards of $2k, not counting the output caps I already have. 
blink.gif

I wish Rike would make a copper foil version of the S-Cap.  I bet that would sound fantastic.  Would be pricey though.

It will sounds really good (special) with Duelund, Eugene.. but I do not think it's worth it. On that money you can look for other DACs category. So the scheme/implementation is not limited with Havana!? I have reservations. Change the output capacitors with Duelund, but stop right there.

Back to Havana: after several hundred hours of burning, S-Caps bring that transparent sound which leaves me stunned. I would have never thought that Havana is able to do this, I speak very seriously.
even if the sound is not yet fully settled (bass is not yet into its optimal parameters, instruments and vocals may have a more heavier&fuller body. I'm sure this will be outlined at a later), the sound transparency is incredible. With Auricap I felt my electrostatic earspeakers on my head, now I feel the music around the head and if I close my eyes I get the feeling to find myself in the middle of it. Sound is realistic, alive compared with what I heard before.

Cheers,

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #2,354 of 2,680
Hi all 
L3000.gif

would you recommend Rike S-cap on c11 ? I have an Interteknik True Copper for the time being, of wich I'm 95% satisfied. I love her welcoming sound, beautiful medium full of presence and sensuality. Lot of pleasure when listening to music. However it may be a bit round and I would appreciate something a little more incisive.

Regarding the price of S-cap I could have a try but I see you have reservations too : leaner medium, a bit harsh as well... Is it as neutral as Clarity Mr Cap or still warmer ?

The other choice would be duelund or vcap cutf instead of Interteknik True Copper (still on c11) but the price is not the same and I'm not sure it would bring what I'm looking for. Don't want to pay it just to test 1 week. I still have several cutf in my havana and my opinion is it's better to mix caps to get better nuances depending on their tone and qualities but I may be wrong.

I don't know if you listen to your music with a computer or directly from a drive but I tested a software called Daphile this weekend : it brought major improvements on my system. If you already have a good converter like Ioserica and his Legato the impact will be lower but you really should have a try you could have a good surprise : http://www.daphile.com/

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,355 of 2,680
  Hi all 
L3000.gif

would you recommend Rike S-cap on c11 ? I have an Interteknik True Copper for the time being, of wich I'm 95% satisfied. I love her welcoming sound, beautiful medium full of presence and sensuality. Lot of pleasure when listening to music. However it may be a bit round and I would appreciate something a little more incisive.

Regarding the price of S-cap I could have a try but I see you have reservations too : leaner medium, a bit harsh as well... Is it as neutral as Clarity Mr Cap or still warmer ?

The other choice would be duelund or vcap cutf instead of Interteknik True Copper (still on c11) but the price is not the same and I'm not sure it would bring what I'm looking for. Don't want to pay it just to test 1 week. I still have several cutf in my havana and my opinion is it's better to mix caps to get better nuances depending on their tone and qualities but I may be wrong.

I have not done exactly right. I should let the capacitors to burn-in completely and then come up with impressions..
"leaner medium and a bit harsh as well": are some partial conclusions and I think this will be adjust in time. We'll see.
Rike are very detailed, transparent and vocals sound beautiful, ...but should be burn-in completely. I do not ever recommend CuTF for C11...it will be burn extremely hard!
ksc75smile.gif

My opinion is, wait until my Rike caps are completely burned, for the moment don't change that capacitor (at C11 place).
I bet on Duelund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back