MHDT Havana DAC
May 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,892 of 2,680
Quote:
Horace,
You're tempting ! I will try them as soon as I finish my new NOS DIY DAC based on TDA1541A. In a month time or so...

So to do! If I hadn't so happy, I wouldn't insist. But, Robert, if you think is the best upgrade as quality-price ratio! (,,,besides, R-Core). I'm not able yet to evaluate how much help in sound R-Core compared with implementing the Oscon capacitors, but never mind. This upgrade is not that others, is a critical up-grade one even! Havana needs to open sea in this way by a lot of micro-details! It does all the charm of listening.
smile_phones.gif
  I speaking most seriously! Dare to compare this upgrade with the first line, critical: experienced similar effect by changing the resistance, chips, electrolytic cap's, etc...
What I enjoy more, is that my friend's electronics gave me the suggestion to implement Oscon's and analog side, too. Is known from practice that they are great just on the digital section. But we realized that Havana is poor, so even after a number of other important changes, ...so, it is deficient in the medium-high resolution, and it features a somewhat dark play compared with other digital-analog converters (not go into details). Although it wasn't advisable in theoretical to put four capacitors here (on the analog section), We dared. The risk that may arise, as was appear too high, or to feel that effect "sss ..." in voice, but it wasn't at all! Highs became a house specialty, a delicacy! (STAX know why
smile.gif
).

Currently, the most important thing is that it's the idea.
Success!

May 8, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #1,893 of 2,680
I started to peep into the output section. Still uncompleted and unverified. Has anyone gone further than that? Perhaps we can do more if we join forces together
smile.gif

It seems to be a Cathode Follower with 16.3V at the plate Not enough to get a proper read at the Tube Curves!!

May 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,894 of 2,680
yes it is a cathode follower, in the case of Havana the tube works at 10-15% of its power. What do you want to improve?
Niamex omitted the built-in op-amp and took signal from 13th leg (Iout) of PCM56 for better micro details and air around.

Read lampizator's solution for tube analogue output stage, works great.

May 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,895 of 2,680
Quote:
Thank You for the BOM!

Do you know where can I find a reliable source of K-Grade PCM56's?

There is one seller on Ebay, and the K letter on the left corner is so obviously hand-painted!  
confused.gif

The grade is marked after the chips are controlled /after production/. Obviously the grade will be marked by hand by a tampon - just think and do not worry .
Cheers,

May 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,896 of 2,680
Quote:
yes it is a cathode follower, in the case of Havana the tube works at 10-15% of its power. What do you want to improve?
Niamex omitted the built-in op-amp and took signal from 13th leg (Iout) of PCM56 for better micro details and air around.

Read lampizator's solution for tube analogue output stage, works great.

But please do not forget you have to place a VERY good quality resistor for the I/V conversion there /in my case Z-foil bulk metal ultra low noise Texas/
Cheers

May 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,898 of 2,680
Quote:
But please do not forget you have to place a VERY good quality resistor for the I/V conversion there /in my case Z-foil bulk metal ultra low noise Texas/

[size=10pt]Thank you for pointing this detail. Do you mean that it is not enough to just take the output directly from Pin 13 instead of Pin 9, so we have to use resistors to convert from V to I? What values are recommended for the resistors? [/size]

[size=10pt]Robert, thank you for mentioning the Lampizator. I didn’t know about it.[/size]

May 15, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #1,900 of 2,680
Quote:
Well i am glade to say i have sold my paradisea Dac and have just ordered my Havana.

Congrats! A very good upgrade to be sure. I had the Paradisea too, before the Havana and really noticed a difference. Post some thoughts once you get it ...

May 15, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,901 of 2,680
Hey guys,

New to this thread.  I planning on getting the Havana DAC.  I have a question or two.  Do any of you pair this DAC with the WOO WA22 amp or does it pair better with Solid State amps?  Does anyone use a complete tube rig - or do you mix and match more than not?

May 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,902 of 2,680
Quote:
Hey guys,

New to this thread.  I planning on getting the Havana DAC.  I have a question or two.  Do any of you pair this DAC with the WOO WA22 amp or does it pair better with Solid State amps?  Does anyone use a complete tube rig - or do you mix and match more than not?

I've  not heard it specifically with a WA22 but I've listened for quite some time via a Raptor tube amp and also through my roommates Woo 6 SE. It pairs very well with tube amps. The tube influence on sonics with the Havana is subtle but definitely noticeable. You will not get extreme tube warmth (aka sometimes referred to as "smearing" or "lush") with the Havana. The variations among tubes with the Havana are definite and real, some warmer than others, some more analytical, some more clean than others, more detailed, better soundstage, etc. But, you will not find as dramatic of an influence from tube to tube as you would, say with a good valve amplifier.

That said. I think the Havana would be an excellent match with the WA22 (the newer Stockholm DAC as well) and especially if using a Bendix 6385 tube and/or even the slightly more affordable Bendix 2C51. Both lean towards the detailed, airy side of things with the 6385 being a bit better with just about all aspects, especially detail and soundstage.

Best of luck...

.joel

May 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,903 of 2,680
BTW ... forgot to mention this here but for those who might be interested, I did a little write up of the newer MHDT Labs Stockholm DAC which just so happens to feature the same basic analogue circuit as the Havana but with the addition of "asynchronous" USB capabilities and a new digital receiver allowing it to receive input from 192khz files. 

You can read about it here, should you be so inclined:  MHDT Labs Stockholm Review

FYI.

May 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #1,904 of 2,680
Quote:

[size=9pt]I do not know if I can improve something. Just to learn, experiment, have fun, and who knows... maybe something can accidentaly be improved (I hope not barbequed) 
smile.gif
[/size]

[size=9pt]I am still wondering if I have to add resistors to use the direct output from pin 13. Will it work if I just bend Pin-9 before inserting the IC into the socket, and wire a link between pin 13 and pin 9 at the PCB?[/size]

[size=9pt]I have replaced the output caps with Jantzen Audio Silver Cap 3.3 uF 800V. It is a great improvement. I did enjoy listening to the Havana before any change, but the Jantzen caps add more separation at the instruments. This is particularly noticeable at the low notes (i.e. the bass is more separated from the bass-drum) and more clarity and detail at the highs. I am not going to invest in more expensive capacitors. This improvement is substantial enough for me.[/size]

[size=9pt]Now I am working on the C-core transformer. I have [size=x-small]already cut the legs (to accomodate it on the space of the old one)[/size], but I still haven’t found the connectors. Maybe I will re-use the old ones.[/size]

[size=9pt]K Chips, Elna caps, and Audio Note film resistors (I could not find Shinkon)  are already on the way [/size]

[size=9pt]Cheers![/size]

May 16, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #1,905 of 2,680
Quote:

[size=9pt]Now I am working on the C-core transformer. I have [size=x-small]already cut the legs (to accomodate it on the space of the old one)[/size], but I still haven’t found the connectors. Maybe I will re-use the old ones.[/size]

[size=9pt]K Chips, Elna caps, and Audio Note film resistors (I could not find Shinkon)  are already on the way [/size]

[size=9pt]Cheers![/size]

Awesome.

I'm going to have to break down and learn how to solder, I think. It's beginning to bug me.

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back