MHDT Canary DAC
Jan 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Effusion

100+ Head-Fier
MHDT Paradisea Owners Rejoice!

According to MHDT's site they are now offering a successor model to the much loved Paradisea DAC!

The new DAC is appropriately named the Canary and is currently priced at $843.  Additional information can be found here on MHDT's site.

In relation to the new successor of the highly praised Havana DAC, the Stockholm, the Canary's digital receiver has been updated to CS8416 to allow higher capacity and is now capable of up to 24bits/192kHz signal inputs.

It also now uses 2 Philips TDA1545A chips to improve resolution and separation, an additional BNC input, what appears to be a brushed aluminum case (acrylic front panel), and depending on the firmware installed, the USB input is switchable between both synchronous and asynchronous modes.

Judging from the pictures, it appears that the Canary also sports a tweaked PCB board and the I/V stage has 2 socketed op-amps (ships with AD847AQ chips).

Information concerning the unit is a little sparse currently, so contacting MHDT for additional details may be in order.  Coming in at ~$274 more than the Paradisea (which I believe is now out of production), I hope there is enough improvements to warrant the price increase.

As a current Paradisea 3 owner, I can't wait for a formal review/comparison, initial impressions, and/or additional information regarding this unit... I hope it combines some of the clarity of the Havana/Stockholm with the same warmth and effortlessness of the Paradisea!

Anyone willing to take the plunge?? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 2
Have the Canary now for almost a week and love it!. Can't compare it with anu other mhdt dacs as I have never heard these. However, my first impressions are very positive. Others call it 'romantoc' and 'musical'. I fully agree. I would add 'smooth' and 'relaxing'. Others mention a loss of detail: I disagree. Maybe it's my (all tube based) system, invluding Martin Logans that make the difference? The whole soundstage and experience brings back very happy and warm memories of the days I was the proud owner of the Marantz CD12/da12 combo. That one had the famous tda1541as1 on board. Which was for me one of the reasons to go for the canary dac. Very analogue (I think as close as you can get in a digital system). Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back