MG HeadDT Tweak: Sorbothane Feet
Jan 21, 2002 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I have a whole bunch of very thin (1mm) sorbothane lying around (from an Itronix XC-6000 laptop, about $15 on eBay); it's used to shock-isolate the LCD. I also have an MG HeadDT(OTL) with rather microphonic tubes... So I cut the sorbothane into strips, and rolled up 4 2cm-long 1cm wide strips, so they fit in the little hole on the bottom of the MG Head's feet. The sorbothane rolls don't fit all the way in, so they expand to about a centimeter square when I put the Head back down.

The sorbothane provides *phenomenal* vibration-isolation... I can push down quite a bit on the Head, and move it side-to-side by 2-3mm and it will spring back. Definitely worth it... And hey, $15 on eBay is cheaper than $40 for SorboFeet or whatever they're called...

Jan 21, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 12
Why not spend $15 on new tubes with less microphonics, like a 5751 for your driver tube? That would make more of a difference... unless you have some $70 NOS tubes in there...

Jan 21, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 12
Because I had sorbothane lying around, and the stock tubes will burn out eventually...

Besides, I wanted to be able to call myself a tweaker
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2002 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I have been using stock tubes, made no tweaks to my MG Head DT. Still going strong, I don't see any carbon or smell any fumes. Would a different tube really make a difference? I'm still skeptical.

Jan 21, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 12
In terms of microphonics, different tubes can be night and day. In terms of sound, it is more subtle but it's differentiable.

Jan 21, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I have been using stock tubes, made no tweaks to my MG Head DT.

I replaced the stock tubes with a Mullard 12AX7 and two EiEL84s......big difference in sound. Sweeter top end and better bass. BUT.....the Wing mod (no negative feedback) transformed (no pun intended) the MG Head into something else altogether. It's a night and day difference from the stock MG Head......and all for the better. It must be heard, preferrably with Senn HD-600s, to be believed.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 12
Nah, the Wing mod consists of cutting the negative feedback wires. There's a difference between no negative feedback and OTL, AFAIK. The new OTL amp has a switch that does this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back