MG Head reliability?
Jun 21, 2002 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I'm constantly hearing about people having hums on their MG Heads, etc. Is it just because of the shear number of people that own it? Or is there a real problem?

Jun 21, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 21
Apparently, some hum and some don't, you're trying your luck when you're ordering it. When I was getting mine (which would probably be up for sale after I get Sugden... or maybe not, time will show), Head DT [the one I auditioned first] hummed, while Head OTL [the one I ended up buying] didn't.

Of course, for most MG Heads this problem can be easily solved, although I can see how one may want a 300+ USD headphone amp to work well out of the box without having to do some DIYing first...

BTW, I gave Headmaster a listen couple of days ago, and it wiped the floor with my rolled MG Head OTL... Not that I was really surprised or anything
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 21
It is simply a matter of the wire to the power switch being routed too close to the left tube socket. Not a reliability issue, more of a design issue. It is a simple fix.

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 21
i think they're build quality sucks and also their quality control sucks.

just because something is heavy does not mean it was built well.

my mini jack on the front of my amp works sometimes and doesn't work most others. not a huge thing, but i have to use a 1/4" adapter for every headphone i try it in (not that you can use much other than the hd580/600..). the major problem that i have with this is, that when i first ordered the mg head dt, headroom sent it to me and the mini jack didn't work at all. i was making much less money then and it was quite an upsetting moment. they, of course, sent me a new one and i returned the old one only to find that after a few months the mini jack doesn't work again. i barely even use the mini jack, i could understand if i unplugged and replugged it multiple times a day.

if you want quality, don't buy antique sound labs. the sound is pretty good, but i'd really recommend getting something else for the price range (a little, meta42, emp, etc.)

please note i have not heard the meta42 or the emp, but from the reviews it sure sounds like an eric-built meta42 has better build quality than the mg head..

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 21
I had to exchange my first set because the power switch was coming off and the tubes were slanted. As long as you get a good unit they should last for quite long...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 21
I had one new OTL and it was perfect and silent. I also owned a used OTL and was also silent. Great amp. I'll own one again.

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
It is simply a matter of the wire to the power switch being routed too close to the left tube socket. Not a reliability issue, more of a design issue. It is a simple fix.

We has solve this problem by additional 10mm Longer in Chassis. So The power switch and wire is away from tube more.
Also new MG_Head OTL V.R change to no click type. I Hope this modification is helpful !

Jun 22, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Lau

We has solve this problem by additional 10mm Longer in Chassis. So The power switch and wire is away from tube more.
Also new MG_Head OTL V.R change to no click type. I Hope this modification is helpful !

So the new OTL's have a smooth volume potentiometer? When will they be available? I want to be sure I understand you correctly.
thanks

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 21
Build quality of the MG Head is mixed. Mine came with the bottom screws loose. It developed a slight intermittent low level static in one channel, which I can live with, as music blots it out. It's not as loud as the quietest record lp.

BUT. Be aware that if you need warranty work that it must go to CANADA, which means big bucks for shipping, then customs, international stuff. It's a gamble.

Headroom Little. Hey, it's a place in Montana that's great. No problems. And Headroom build quality is USA superb.

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
Be aware that if you need warranty work that it must go to CANADA, which means big bucks for shipping, then customs, international stuff. It's a gamble.

I've shipped stuff to Canada before and the postage, via USPS, isn't really much higher than shipping in the regular 48 states. Also customs will not tax items that are sent out for repair and returned to the states. So it may seem like a hassle shipping to another country but to Canada it really isn't so.

Jun 23, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Lau

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo. I just got through a long ordeal about getting my MG Head DT returned for a MG Head OTL (which is on order). Now you got another one coming out just when I finally got the version I was looking for. I swear Joe, you are never going to let me stay statisfied
wink.gif
. I second Lextek here, when is it going to be out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back