MG head + HD 600 = unengaging sound for rock?
Oct 29, 2001 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jibra

100+ Head-Fier
Dear members

I have Senn HD 600 with MG head with Arcam 7 CDP. I am currently using stock tube for MG head before I start tube rolling. I listen to classical music about 80 percent but I also put some rock, jazz and other stuffs into my CDP according to my mood. The problem is when I play some unclassical music expecially rock music, sound is pretty unengaging.

I sold my Grado SR-60 which was used with Radio shack 3904 about a month ago. If I remember correctly, the sound was more interesting.

Don't get me wrong. There can't be any comparison between HD 600+Mg Head +Arcam and Radioshack 3904+SR-60 when I play some opera CD's which is my favorite. Can I expect the same degree of improvement in other types of music?

So my question is "why I can't listen huge improvement with this combo with some of the CD's I have such as Moby - Play, Patricia Barber - Nightclub, or The dave brubeck Quartet - Time out?" Is it something with HD 600? Or the MG head? The tube inside of the MG head?

Thanks for any suggestion,
jibra

Oct 29, 2001 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 27
1) Sennheisers are laid back which isn't the best for some types of music, eg rock.
2) MGHead is very tubey, which is also not good for rock (higher end tube amps are just fine). Tube rolling can probably fix your troubles.
3) MGHead doesn't have the strongest bass out there. Check out some threads for some upgrades that'll help out.

Oct 29, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 27
Jibra,

I also have the MG Head and the Senn HD600s. I would completely agree. With rock the Senns are definitely very uninvolving. I have a pair of Grados which do tend to liven things up a little. My recommendation would be either try tube rolling and see if you like the sound any better, or just simply get a pair of Grado's for when you want to listen to just rock. I think that the Grado SR-225s are great for listening to rock music.

Oct 29, 2001 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by MikeR17
Jibra,

I also have the MG Head and the Senn HD600s. I would completely agree. With rock the Senns are definitely very uninvolving. I have a pair of Grados which do tend to liven things up a little. My recommendation would be either try tube rolling and see if you like the sound any better, or just simply get a pair of Grado's for when you want to listen to just rock. I think that the Grado SR-225s are great for listening to rock music.

Will Grado work fine with MG head? Did you try to use your Grado 225 with MG head? I don't think many people who link Grado with MG head. Maybe I also should get a small box from JMT for Grado. :)

Thanks,
Jibra

Oct 29, 2001 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

jibra said...

Maybe I also should get a small box from JMT for Grado. :)

That's actually not a bad idea, since you might lose some speed and impact from the Grados if you pair it w/ the MG Head. Tube-rolling will certainly help (I really didn't like the stock tubes w/ the MG Head), but it still won't make the 600s into a good rock headphone. They can rock really well, but not until you get into premium amps. At least, that's been my experience...

Oct 29, 2001 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 27
What exactly do you mean by unengaging? Can you describe this in sound terms, i.e. is it speed or impact or bass slam you're missing. I'm asking this because my HD600 sound fine with any type of music out of X-CanV2. Iwas a bit afraid when I was auditioning the amp, because many people said that HD600 is great with cheap(er) tube amps for classical and jazz but lacks punch for rock. I didn't find any such lack.
Also, what interconnects you're using?

Oct 29, 2001 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 27
jibra,
since you are thinking about getting "a small box from JMT", just a little hint: rodchenko has posted his Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 Ohm) and JMT Penguin amp combo at the For Sale Section. The amp is especially designed for higher impedance phones, though.

The Beyer 770 Pros are my favourite headphone becuase they convey MUSIC, whether you listen to jazz, rock or classical. I'd say it's a sign of inaccuracy, if a headphone leaves only a certain kind of music enjoyable. The Head-Fier mikejazz plays bass-violin in Patricia Barber's band, BTW. He has chosen a Beyer 990 Pro (the open sibling of the closed 770s) because of its warmer and more natural tonal balance over the Senn HD 600. I feel, the Beyer 770 Pros are even better: with an even warmer, more natural tonal balance, more bass extension, more slam, more emotional involvement, more music. You might like them as well.

Oct 29, 2001 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 27
Senn HD-600 are not Rock headphones, period. If you want something that can Rock then try a closed headphone like the Sony MDR-V6 or Sony MDR-V900. Your MG Head is ok for Rock and is not the problem.

Oct 29, 2001 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Senn HD-600 are not Rock headphones, period. If you want something that can Rock then try a closed headphone like the Sony MDR-V6 or Sony MDR-V900. Your MG Head is ok for Rock and is not the problem.

Disagree, period.
What exacrly are rock phones, the ones with thumpy bass, in your face mids and bright treble? Also what exactly is rock music and how is it supposred to sound? IMO HD600 are very neutral and natural sounding cans and every type of music will benefit from these qualities.

Oct 29, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 27
I listen to a lot of different types of music, more so than most people. I can tell you that the HD600's sound great with everything! They sound the best when playing complex music styles, which are most of my CDs. HD600 will still sound good with more simple types of music, but the current Grado line sounds better to me with these types of music than the Senns. I own both Grado and Senns, though my Grados (HP-1000) sound nothing like anything Grado being made today, I have auction the 225's so going by that and my other grado headphone (SR-60), this is what I found.

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 27
"Grainy" "Neutral it is not"
I guess you need to send your Senns (if you have them) to be checked. Perhaps there's something wrong with them. Or, check the rest of your rig, it's gotta be something terribly wrong there, if you can say that HD600 are grainy.
I'd attach the term grainy to something like low end Grados but HD600... c'mon man...

Oct 29, 2001 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 27
Just looked at acidtripwow's profile, looks like he's a team Grado-Sony member. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our tastes.
What bothers me is when people say things like that. I mean listen to this for example:
Grado SR325 are dark and muddy sounding.
To me this is the same as saying HD600 are "grainy"
If acidtripwow's DVD player is grainy sounding WHY BLAME THE PHONES?!
Bottom line:
First, get a pair of these.
Second, get a decent source
Third, tune your system (interconnects, vibrapods, etc.)
Fourth, enjoy.

PS:
I'm sorry, I very seldom get harsh on someone here, but to call HD600 grainy, just doesn't sound right, dunno maybe I'm wrong.

Oct 30, 2001 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Blr, I hate to say it but you're wrong. The HD-600 is not a neutral headphone, period. It is laid back and "grainy" sounding. Neutral it is not.

I have to agree with Blr here. Anyone who claims the HD600 are "grainy" has source/amp problems.

As for "laid back," acidtripwow is a Grado person, so, yes, compared to the forward presentation of Grados, they will sound a bit "laid back." However, they are the most neutral headphones I've ever heard along with Etys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back