MG HEAD DT/OTL MKIII Mods
Jul 3, 2004 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tuckers

100+ Head-Fier
Looking through the postings of mods to the MG Head it looks like they are all pretty much for MKI and II.

Anybody have experience with the MKIII? I see a lot of room for improvement.

By looking at III it seems they have licked the hum problem some were having by putting the AC in an outboard.

I think the main circuit board is new, as I don't see any call-out for the NF wires. Unless that was on the top side that you can't see from the bottom?

It looks like there might be a film cap in there now in a critical area, and I can't tell if the volume pot is an Alps. Did the original one have a circuit board on it for connections?

The circuit board for the power supply says Version II, so it may have the same layout. The power supply circuit is a bit tighter than I am comfortable working with. How do you get Hexfreds in there anyways?

I guess in OTL it doesn't have to use the onboard transformers, which are probably not so good.

Out of the box the amp and the 650s didn't sound so good. Turns out my system was overloading the input. I can step down the output by 10db, which I did curing the crunchyness I was hearing. I may have to see if further step down renders better sound.

It's slowly coming around, and some EAR feet helped a lot.

Jul 3, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuckers
Looking through the postings of mods to the MG Head it looks like they are all pretty much for MKI and II.

Anybody have experience with the MKIII? I see a lot of room for improvement.

By looking at III it seems they have licked the hum problem some were having by putting the AC in an outboard.

I think the main circuit board is new, as I don't see any call-out for the NF wires. Unless that was on the top side that you can't see from the bottom?

It looks like there might be a film cap in there now in a critical area, and I can't tell if the volume pot is an Alps. Did the original one have a circuit board on it for connections?

The circuit board for the power supply says Version II, so it may have the same layout. The power supply circuit is a bit tighter than I am comfortable working with. How do you get Hexfreds in there anyways?

I guess in OTL it doesn't have to use the onboard transformers, which are probably not so good.

Out of the box the amp and the 650s didn't sound so good. Turns out my system was overloading the input. I can step down the output by 10db, which I did curing the crunchyness I was hearing. I may have to see if further step down renders better sound.

It's slowly coming around, and some EAR feet helped a lot.

The original OTL had a PCB and did not have an Alps pot if I recall correctly. Orpheus and I had mods done on our amps though I think Orpheus has since sold his. I had the pot replaced with an Alps, replaced the Multicaps with GE caps and had the power cable replaced by coax. The power cable is a moot point for you but I do think that the first major mod that could be done is to replace the pot. Orpheus also had some other mods in addition to mine. Personally, I don't listen to the OTL mode, I prefer using the transformers.

Jul 3, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 3
<NT>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back