MG Head detail?
Jun 24, 2002 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I had a listen at the MG head OTL today. . . very nice, except for one thing. where's the detail???? The cosmic was much better in this respect. . .

Does tuberolling help?

Jun 24, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 14
I've heard that the OTL mode exchanges some detail for low end response. I dunno.

I have the regular DT and it has no problems in the mid band on Up. The bass is acceptable to me as I'm not a bass hound.

I have used different new preamp tubes and the Sovtek pre increases the crispness at the upper frequency extreme. So yes it has more detail. The Ei Yugoslovia is the best one I've tried so far because it give a bit more upper frequency detail without adversly screwing anything else up.

Keep in mind these are inexpensive tubes. SOme of the NOS ones are supposed to be much better...with prices to match however.

Jun 24, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 14
thing is, at the WOH tour, the mg head was being fed by a $300 marantz. I'm comparing the detail to the cosmic, which was being fed by a meridian 588! Thousands!

So, is it the source, or the amp?

Jun 24, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 14
I just received my MG Head OTL and have only been listening to it for a day. I would also characterize it as not a very detailed amp. It does as everyone has said a very nice midrange, warm and sweet. Because of this listening to orchestrial music I prefer the Corda HA-1.

Jun 24, 2002 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 14
The detail of the Marantz can definitely not be compared to the detail of the awesome Meridian 588. That aside the MG Head with the right tube has excellent detail in the midrange but rolled off highs. The Little has rolled off highs as well but the Premium Little should restore them. If you're talking about that high frequency detail, you'll never hear it in the Head. If you're talking about anything but the hf detail, a $25 Raytheon tube and comparable source is all that is needed.

Jun 24, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 14
andrze

You realize no matter what you do, some of us will approve and some will disapprove. Now that you've heard the amps you're considering, my real advice is to go with what you liked best. Even with the source differences and whatever else, you've probably got an idea of what you want. You know if you stay on this board, it won't be your last amp no matter what you do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 14
This detail issue is a little intersting. Friends of mine that love metal domed tweeters in their stereo systems tend also to go for Grado and solid state amps.

I wonder if there is a larger correlation.

I find all but a few speakers using metal drivers to be shrill and unlistenable...the likes of Paradigm and Energy for a start. There may be more there but they also provide too much whispiness and sssssssssssss on cymbols and female vocals.

If you can listen before you buy...or just get the Sugden and be done with it.

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 14
And I hated the sennheisers.

The only thing that bugs me with the grados is the horrible screw** retro look.

I like to look cool, that's all... But oh well, they sounded so great I got em.

Jun 25, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Personally, I hated the grados. Not like it really matters now.
frown.gif

It might depend on the type of music you are into.
I really liked the sound of the RS-1 at the show but I doubt I'll ever give up my 580s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back