MFSL
Aug 29, 2001 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 14
Well......considering some of the RIDICULOUS cable tweaks some people do (none on this board
wink.gif
), I think it makes more sense to spend money on albums than "ultra-super-dooper-wowie" cables.

Then again, $400 is enough to buy CD remaster of EVERY Floyd album......and probably you'd still have enough cash to get an ice cream. Imagine that.

Aug 30, 2001 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 14
These discs are extremely rare and out of print, in addition to being thought as collectibles by some, thus the stratosphere prices.

When they first came out they were $30 or something!

I still have Mofi discs that are ten years old that I easily prefer over newer releases of the same title, but $100s for a disc is little beyond me, even if it were a favorite. But then again, I'm not
that wealthy.

*I heard Mofi was brought back to life by Music Direct(audiophile store), and discs were in the works. In fact I got a questionaire asking what 1. top 5 titles I would like to see released(excluding Beatles and with commercial potential factored in), and 2. what formats, in order of preference, would I like the releases to be in.

Anyone have info on whether MoFi is back in business?

Aug 30, 2001 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 14
I recently picked up a few DCC an MFSL CDs, and have a bunch more on the way. So far, a quick impression is that the DCC sound is superior to that of MFSL. I plan to post a short impression in the near future, but for now let's say that the detail and resolution is fantastic. If you have a good source and a good pair of headphones, you owe it to yourself to try DCC out.

Aug 30, 2001 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
I recently picked up a few DCC an MFSL CDs, and have a bunch more on the way. So far, a quick impression is that the DCC sound is superior to that of MFSL. I plan to post a short impression in the near future, but for now let's say that the detail and resolution is fantastic. If you have a good source and a good pair of headphones, you owe it to yourself to try DCC out.

Do you have any recordings that were remastered by both companies? If so then I am really looking forward to your review. I think I also prefer the DCC sound to mofi but I do not have and CDs that were remastered by both companies so it is really hard to make an objective determination.

Aug 30, 2001 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 14
i own a few mfsl discs, and tull's "songs from the wood" and "thick as a brick" stand out as especially fine remasters. mfsl claims to seek out the best surviving master tapes and does a fine job of encoding them, with little or no dynamic compression. my mfsl u2 "war" disc even features slightly different mixes than the original cd. i think their touchstone for sound quality is either the analog master tapes or the vinyl versions: their cds feature a very analog sound. as far as using gold for the discs or their "gain" technology, i think just careful mastering at 20 or 24 bit is just as good. i have non-mfsl high rez remasters of "dark side of the moon", "ghost in the machine", and "cream of clapton" that sound just as good as my mfsl discs, with perhaps a bit more dynamic compression thrown in. sometime i wish some of these sound engineers had their mothers in the studio with them to slap their hands when they reach for that compression button.

Aug 30, 2001 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 14
Well, we compared the MoFi "original masters" LP pressing of Steely Dan's Aja to the newly released remastered CD at Kurt's house at the norCal Headwize/fi meeting, and the LP stomped all over the CD, especially in soundstaging and smooooooothness.

of course, one never knows if this is due to Mofi's tweakings (or lack therof) or the inherent benefits of LPs over CDs. who knows?

that said, it seems like bigger record companies are getting into high-rez recording (telarc, emi, etc) so we shall see.

Aug 30, 2001 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 14
morphsci, I don't have any dupes from both companies yet. On DCC I have Heart (fantastic!) and Hotel California, with AquaLung, A Night At the Opera, and Eagles: Greatest Hits on the way. On MFSL I have Exodus, with Pyromania, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on the way.

XXhalberstramXX, I have a few MFSL vinyl discs from way back, and I'd have to say my copy of the Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece.

After I spend some time with the above CDs and the few more I will order this week, I may be able to comment on each label as a whole. I have a feeling that the philosophy at DCC is more in line with what I am looking for. More later...:wink:

Sep 1, 2001 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 14
The Other day I compaired the Floyd Columbia Halfspeed remasterd Lp (Wish You Were Hear) to The New Columbia remastered CD and the Lp was Way better in all aspects Except the Bass. In that dept the CD is Alot Better and Both these recordings sound alot Better than eather the Origenal Columbia Lp. Yuck, Origenel Col. Cd Better all around, Remasterd Columbia CD To mutch Midrange grain for Me. Columbia Remastered Lp Splendid Except the Origenel CD has more bass Extention.

Regarding MFSL, This time Elton john's Goodbye YellowBrick road The Origenel LP was alot worse Than the MFSL Lp and The Orig. CD relise was worse than Both With the MFSL remastered CD this one of the Newer ones using there Ultradisc II Technology is Mind Blowing and This must be Heared on a good system To get the Complete Soundstage of this Disc. On track 16 The Birds at the Start sound all around you just like in real Life and at 8 Sec into the track the dog actualy sounds like it is in Back of You, Whitch is way Cool since That' ween Elton is singing By Bulldog is barking in the back yard. Now this effect i only Heared on Well placed UltraHigh Quality loudspeakers and is not like that on Headphones, or Normal stereo systems. Oh Goosebumps. In fact i think ill go and wake up my Neighbors and get off the Net .. See Ya.

Sep 3, 2001 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 14
$450 for Mobile Fidelity's finest pressing of "Dark Side of the Moon"? Absolutely -- if I had the bread. Nothing to date has sounded better than the Mofi records of the 70s and 80s. I've been following those auctions and if I had a couple thousand to drop, I would easily spend $2000 dollars on, say, my favourite 20 albums that were released by Mofi. Team those LPs with a super turntable and I would be ready to retire from the game. Now as far as the cds go, they're a whole different story. Yes, they're nice analogue sounding remasters, but they are "analogue sounding" and not analogue recordings. I read a great article about Mofi somewhere, and their demise was basically the rise of the cd. Their albums were a clear cut above commercial company releases, but when cds started to proliferate, Mofi lost their edge. Their cds weren't THAT much better than other LP. Their gold cds (which were a huge novelty at that time) - to my ears, anwyay - were never worth the extra expense. That's when I sadly lost track of Mobile Fidelity. But seeing these unopened LPs for sale on Ebay has me salivating remembering the beauty of those recording and wishing I could buy all my favourites, hook my turntable back into my system and savour the musicialty of it all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2001 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 14
I did not Know that MFSL Lp's and CD's were Becoming Collectable. So I gess it is a good idea to hold on to my MFSL Lp and CD's.

Sep 3, 2001 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 14
since I have several of the original MFSL "original master recordings" in vinyl. They are the best imaging thing that I have heard, short of the Sheffield direct to master discs. Those recordings were made directly to master cutting lathes. Those masters were then used to make the stamps to press the vinyl. Astounding quality.

I checked the plastic sleeve on my MFSL Pink Floyd Dark of the Moon album. It was $15.99. That was a weeks worth of food at the time, and I was a hungry grad student. However, the choice between uncompromising sound and food always seemed obvious.

Sep 3, 2001 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 14
Greg - I have utmost respect for your love of high-end audio. I mean.....food would always win with me. Call me whatever you want - food wins! Hands down!

Now - I don't mean "fancy food" - but food is a necessity - LISTENING to music for me isn't......now playing music is a whole different thing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back