MF X-CAN v3 tube suggestions
Dec 12, 2007 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jclyle

500+ Head-Fier
Hi-
I have an X-CAN v3 on the way. What are some low cost tubes to try in the unit? Im looking for tubes that are less than $50 for a matched pair.

I'll be using the amp with an SB3, Senn HD600 w/ Cardas upgrade cable.

Thanks-
Carter

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 8
From what I've read over the years here and elsewhere, the X-Can seems to yield good improvements from a better power supply. The little "pinky" from Rock Grotto comes to mind.

I tend to agree with this recommendation and although I have never personally tried it with the X-Can's that I previously had on loan, I did try this when I owned the X-10D ( missing link ) by making an outboard torodial
based PSU for it and it brought quite aparent sonic improvements over what was already quite an amazing device.

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 8
You'll be very pleased with either the 6H23N-EBs (Saratovs), or 6N1P-EBs (Voskhods). Though the 6H23N-EBs are likely a little safer, unless you've got the PinkFloyd mods with the heat sinks on the transistors. The 6N1P-EBs sound a bit better, but run hotter. I found these to be the best with my set up. And they're pretty good values.

Russian 6922 / 6H23

6DJ8/ECC88/6922 Tube Types

Russian 6H23/6922 Type 3

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the resonses so far. What tubes have added warmth to the unit?

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jclyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the resonses so far. What tubes have added warmth to the unit?

I'd say... the 6H23N-EBs likely added a bit more warmth / tamed the highs a bit. And... I think the Amperex Orange Globes were warmer and smoother also.

But... as a hybrid amp... no tubes are going to make it sound as warm and lush as an OTL tube amp.

The tube buffer also helps.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll be very pleased with either the 6H23N-EBs (Saratovs), or 6N1P-EBs (Voskhods). Though the 6H23N-EBs are likely a little safer, unless you've got the PinkFloyd mods with the heat sinks on the transistors. The 6N1P-EBs sound a bit better, but run hotter. I found these to be the best with my set up. And they're pretty good values.

Russian 6922 / 6H23

6DJ8/ECC88/6922 Tube Types

Russian 6H23/6922 Type 3

Very well stated. I will only add that the NOS Jan Phillips are very nice and for some reason do not get much love.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 8
My X-CAN came today, I bought it used off Audiogon last week. After 15minutes of the stock tubes, it went back in the box. I'm going to order an ASL MKIII from audioadvisor, hopefully that amp will have more warmth to it.

This is my first headphone amp, i'm used to tube amps and notoriously warm solid-state amps
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back