Mezzo Hifi - New AK120/AK100 Mods (WM8741 in software mode)
Oct 2, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #91 of 133
Ok well that is a little confusing. I would of thought the Mezzo mod maintains more functionality, seeing as it can still be used sans amp with a working volume control. What is the Mezzo mod sacrificing that the Red Wine isn't?

PS. My unit has arrived and I'm getting ready to have a listen.... I'm as giddy as a school girl right now! lol :D

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #92 of 133
Ok well that is a little confusing. I would of thought the Mezzo mod maintains more functionality, seeing as it can still be used sans amp with a working volume control. What is the Mezzo mod sacrificing that the Red Wine isn't?

PS. My unit has arrived and I'm getting ready to have a listen.... I'm as giddy as a school girl right now! lol
biggrin.gif

Essentially: Mezzo adds functionality (as I said), while RWAK100 maintains the same functionality but eliminates the hurdles the AK100 faces that block it from attaining truly good SQ. Mezzo sacrifices nothing, adds more, but costs a lot more. 

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #93 of 133
  Essentially: Mezzo adds functionality (as I said), while RWAK100 maintains the same functionality but eliminates the hurdles the AK100 faces that block it from attaining truly good SQ. Mezzo sacrifices nothing, adds more, but costs a lot more. 

Ahh, apologies I see what you mean. I forgot Red Wine have a very basic mod at only $250. I wasn't really including this, as it doesn't swap out the WM8740s for the WM8741s. Only the Red Wine S and B mods do this and they cost $599 and $699 respectively, so with the Mezzo mod coming in at $700, that makes it equivalent in price with far more functionality.

For me that's a slam dunk :D

I'm still listening to my modded AK and before I lay down a judgement on it I want to give it a bit more time to make sure it's not placebo or just plain excitement, but right now..... Wowsers!!! I'd forgotten what it was like to get that kind of genuine grin on your face when you listen to some great kit.

I'm a very happy bunny right about now.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #95 of 133
It's cheaper than the RW-S mode, and gives more functions, really interesting.I wonder is it possible to upgrade the firmware, since it changed the dac chip I supposed It's not.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #96 of 133
It's cheaper than the RW-S mode, and gives more functions, really interesting.I wonder is it possible to upgrade the firmware, since it changed the dac chip I supposed It's not.

You can upgrade firmware

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #99 of 133
Any updates on the AK240-Mod?

Thanks.

I try ak240 but after compare sound with our ak120 mod. I donot think it is a good ak platform to mod with its price tag. Sound it so thin no depth of the stage.

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #101 of 133
Is there anyone from Hong Kong here? If so, I would really like to share your views on this modification, especially in comparison to other available mods on ak120. Also, it will be great if I can have a quick test run on it. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #102 of 133
You can upgrade firmware

I can confirm that, having just upgraded my MSAK120 from 1.37 to 1.40.
I forget whether FW upgrade is supposed to improve SQ, but to my ears it sounds even better now (and frankly that's the important thing). Really fab sounding mod. Well done guys.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #104 of 133
You bought it recently in Singapore? Glad that the firmware upgrade is working out for you.

Kozato: yes I did - bought in Singapore last week. FW upgrade to 1.40 definitely made a difference in SQ.

Early impressions are that earphone pairing makes a huge difference:
Shure SE535 with stock cable or with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable: not good at all. Just harsh and trebly.

Earsonics S-EM6 with stock cable: fantastic all round sound. Smooth overall; more forward-but-rich mids without losing bass or treble. Great for all kinds of music. Closer to Shure SE846 sound with stock cable. Punchy, decently compressed nightclub sound with dance music, and really enjoyable punchy wake-up vibe with rock music.

FitEar Melomane limited edition with stock cable: not as punchy as the Earsonics but better separation and wider soundstage. More "hi-fi".

The elephant in the room: comparison to iPhone 6 with Tidal tracks (16/44 or better): iPhone has a lovely, wake-up-and-smell-the-coffee punch but MSAK120 is smoother, richer and much wider soundstage.

Extra points: MSAK120 into Chord Hugo (Toslink) with Earsonics, FitEars or Denon D7000 closed back headphones: amazing smooth, detailed sound.

Elephant in the room 2: iPhone 6 into Hugo via Toslink and listening to hi-res tracks through Onkyo HFPlayer and all IEMs: sounds amazing. But less x and y axis (width and depth) vesus MSAK120 + Hugo.

Summary: as things stand, best totally portable solution for me, with all types of music, is MSAK120 with Earsonics S-EM6 IEMs. Except for EDM, in which case the FitEars probably sound better. I would be very happy on desert island with just MSAK120 and either IEM. The Earsonics sound smoother and perhaps musically lovely; the FitEars are more hi-if and wider soundstage.

MSAK120 with Hugo is awesome, with Earsonics or FitEars. Having auditioned the DAP with balanced connection, I'm genuinely excited about posting impressions with balanced cables as mentioned above.

Caveat 1: waiting for balanced cables from Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge for the Earsonics and Shures (I will probably get the SE846 next week).
Caveat 2: waiting for UM Merlin universals to arrive. Earsonics balanced cable should fit the Merlins. Impressions to follow after that.

This exercise has confirmed what we all know: once you get a high-end DAP and properly high-end IEMs, it's more about preferences than better or worse sound quality. I've just spent an hour A/B-ing my Earsonics and FitEars (all in single ended mode) and they both sound amazing through the MSAK120.

In short, I absolutely love the DAP with this mod. And while I'm a huge fan of just sticking a high-end pair of IEMs into an iPhone 6, the AK120 kills the iPhone for soundstage, separation and overall rich sound. It really sounds fantastic.

I told the Mezzo guys that I would consider the Glove Audio A1. They replied pretty quickly that it's not worth it, because the sound out of the MSAK120 is cleaner. Without having tried it, I'm happy that the DAP sound solo, with single ended connection, is amazing. I won't pre-suppose the balanced sound, but considering that what I'm already hearing is the best DAP sound I've ever heard (and yes I've tried the AK120ii and AK240), it's all good from here.

May 5, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #105 of 133
sorry if i missed it somewhere, but is Phanom a member here on HF?  I tried to contact him via email, but it always comes back to me after one managed to pass. He answered me, and then it was impossible to get back to him. 

thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back