Meze RAI Solo -- Wire Free UPM Dynamic Driver with Metal Injection Sintered Steel Body
May 14, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #226 of 267
Build quality is very good for both although the Solo is more premium and made from metal.
And while it is anatomical and comfortable for it's size the truth is that it can't touch the IE300.
The Sennheiser is so small that it vanishes inside the ear.
Discreet, super lightweight and very comfortable.
You will forget that you are wearing it.

Who wants that! I want people to see my beautiful sintered steel beauties with the nice black Lyre, touch is a little rough too cause at retail on the IE they are twice that $150 Solo sale price so one might expect them to sound a little better but then again it's all about your personal sound preference. I like the detail, clarity and brightness of the Solo's and they for sure are not even close to a bass monster but I find it solid, tight and fast :wink: No doubt both are nice iem's:beerchug:

May 14, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #228 of 267
I was expressing some kind of differences and never mentioned if the one is better than the other sound wise. :smirk:
As always personal tastes apply!
Really! I guess I just misunderstood this "the truth is that it can't touch the IE300" No biggie, as you said it's really is in the ear of the listener and what they prefer, as I said they are both nice iem's:v:

May 14, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #229 of 267
Really! I guess I just misunderstood this "the truth is that it can't touch the IE300" No biggie, as you said it's really is in the ear of the listener and what they prefer, as I said they are both nice iem's:v:
Was referring to comfort and fit and the plain truth is that the IE300 is more comfortable.
But even here individual tastes apply as some users might not like the iem penetrating deeper in the ear canal.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #230 of 267
Build quality is very good for both although the Solo is more premium and made from metal.
And while it is anatomical and comfortable for it's size the truth is that it can't touch the IE300.
The Sennheiser is so small that it vanishes inside the ear.
Discreet, super lightweight and very comfortable.
You will forget that you are wearing it.
Many tnx

May 18, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #231 of 267
Hmm, not sure if I'm familiar with Lisboa and where it may be in relation the Arkansas USA! The guy who designed the ES100 is now making the Qudelix K5 which for me is a big improvement over the ES100 not only in build quality but more importantly sound for not much more ($20) then the ES100 is going for :thinking:

The Meze Solo cable is decent but if you are going to balanced why not get a better (maybe just my perception) cable plus a beautifil iem deserves a sweet looking cable too:grin: (Strictly a vanity thing I'd say)

For a couple other cables I'm fond of and are also worthy of a $250 iem are:

Oh No, Mr. Bill, knew I should have bought a couple more of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978880203.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dSwrPpc Like the Xiaofan (The Blue and Red 8 cores) these are also no longer available!

This ISN is a sweetheart:grin: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970249542.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dSwrPpc Here's a photo:wink:

1 Plus 1 is WOW.JPG

Here's shots of the Xiaofan 8 core which you can no longer get either:cry:

3 1s-Olo.JPG
SoloBlu.JPG

I keep coming back to look at these Xiaofan cables, really nice looking. I’ve been also looking at ISN HI-FI and NICEHCK. But I really don’t know what to get. And I wonder what difference, a Meze cable or one of these other cables, would they produce...

What’s the difference you notice between the stock cable and that ISN, sound wise? Have you tried other cables which are still available?

I’ve been listening to music through the Solo’s the last few days and I’m very pleased with their accuracy, detail and spaciousness.

May 18, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #232 of 267
Hello,

I've been using my first IEM for a few months now, a big discovery for me, I was more of a mainstream headset (the last one was a BO H4) and I can say that I really appreciate it every day for its lightness, its comfort and its rendering (over time the sound seemed to me to evolve, certainly my ears with ... it is not an extremely bassy sound, just enough for a good base). I use it with an LC-2.5D Monocrystalline Pure Silver Sterling Litz balanced cable with a BTR5 DAC on my mobile via USB Audio Player Pro (Flac + Deezer HD) and on Pc via Roon and HQPlayer (Flac + MQA). And I must admit that I can no longer listen to my music any other way! It's open, it's musical, it's clear, the voices are clean, the instruments are there and they play for me :wink: However, I am not an expert in analysis or in IEM, just my feelings... but what a pleasure !!

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #233 of 267
I keep coming back to look at these Xiaofan cables, really nice looking. I’ve been also looking at ISN HI-FI and NICEHCK. But I really don’t know what to get. And I wonder what difference, a Meze cable or one of these other cables, would they produce...

What’s the difference you notice between the stock cable and that ISN, sound wise? Have you tried other cables which are still available?

I’ve been listening to music through the Solo’s the last few days and I’m very pleased with their accuracy, detail and spaciousness.
I'll chime in here to say that I purchased these, B07ZQCH9CN, and find them to be outstanding for the price($20). The reviews are stellar, and I've had nothing but listening bliss with the SR25! Don't get too wrapped up in price. Yes, you'll find plenty of exotic balanced cables for hundreds of dollars which those companies would love to sell you. Spend wisely!

May 18, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #234 of 267

I have to say tbrobinson has given an excellent option, the tripowin cables are very nice for the price and for me they really open up the soundstage and have a sharp, clean and clear presentation. I gave up on Xiaofan because when I started promoting them they seemed to stop making anything less than $150 and even though they are nice they are over priced. Of course they always had that $6900 cable for the gullible but like the $150 ones being over priced I can assure you for your ROI the $6900 one if just crazy!

Tripowin cable are well built and supple more importantly are the sound qualities I've mentioned. This is one of my favorites I run on my BA10's, IMHO at $100 the BA10/Tripowin 16 Core are giant slayers (Oh I can here the rumblings in the background now):smirk: LOL

Even eye pleasing if you will:wink:

Chi-Fi Doodle Doo.JPG

The ISN is also sweet sounding and more supple than one would think considering it's thickness but you'll also pay $20 more than the Tripowin:thinking:

I'm pretty sure ISN is short for Insane Size:scream:

One One Four.JPG

May 28, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #235 of 267
Just got a pair of the Meze Rai Solo yesterday. I am impressed. Like them so far, and I read that they get better with burn in! (150 hours??) I have a pair of the Fiio FA9's that I bought there 2.5mm balanced cable for. I'm using that with the Solo's. I'm really impressed with the soundstage of these IEM's. The bass is a little loose at the moment, but it has promise. Doesn't seem too trebly IMO, like has mentioned on forums and reviews, but then I am a Grado fan, so treble isn't an issue for me.

May 30, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #236 of 267
Just got a pair of the Meze Rai Solo yesterday. I am impressed. Like them so far, and I read that they get better with burn in! (150 hours??) I have a pair of the Fiio FA9's that I bought there 2.5mm balanced cable for. I'm using that with the Solo's. I'm really impressed with the soundstage of these IEM's. The bass is a little loose at the moment, but it has promise. Doesn't seem too trebly IMO, like has mentioned on forums and reviews, but then I am a Grado fan, so treble isn't an issue for me.

If you’re impressed just after 24h with little or no burn in, then you’re in for a treat. I got mine and they were continuously playing (from an iPod at 50% vol.) for more than 72h. I listened for like half an hour to an hour straight out of the box, then at 24, then at 48, then at 72h. The evolution is remarkable. A great example for the people who diss burn-in!
The taming of the lower treble, the slightly looser higher treble, the controlling of the mids, the precisioning of the bass. They just even out, compose themselves and deliver...
I have many years dedicated to music, but mostly through speakers and some over-ears. I confess I have little to no experience with IEMs and I usually prefer linear, “uncolored” headphones. To me, these are awesome.
I’ve listened to them straight but mostly through the THX Onyx, which I believe just exacerbates their qualities, as I’ve mentioned in previous posts.
I got a second cable for them which will probably arrive tomorrow. It’s not that the stock cable isn’t good enough, I’m just very curious about the changes in sound signature. It’s the Tripowin C8. We’ll see how it goes.
Enjoy!

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #237 of 267
If you’re impressed just after 24h with little or no burn in, then you’re in for a treat. I got mine and they were continuously playing (from an iPod at 50% vol.) for more than 72h. I listened for like half an hour to an hour straight out of the box, then at 24, then at 48, then at 72h. The evolution is remarkable. A great example for the people who diss burn-in!
The taming of the lower treble, the slightly looser higher treble, the controlling of the mids, the precisioning of the bass. They just even out, compose themselves and deliver...
I have many years dedicated to music, but mostly through speakers and some over-ears. I confess I have little to no experience with IEMs and I usually prefer linear, “uncolored” headphones. To me, these are awesome.
I’ve listened to them straight but mostly through the THX Onyx, which I believe just exacerbates their qualities, as I’ve mentioned in previous posts.
I got a second cable for them which will probably arrive tomorrow. It’s not that the stock cable isn’t good enough, I’m just very curious about the changes in sound signature. It’s the Tripowin C8. We’ll see how it goes.
Enjoy!
Thanks! I didn't even try the stock cable. Just plugged in the Fiio 2.5mm balanced cable. Yea, things don't seem precise right now, so I'm looking forward to the changes with burn-in. The mids are a little too in the background right now. Do they come forward a little more? My understanding is they will have a slightly V shape sound signature, which I am fine with. I have the Meze 99 Classics and like them alot. I'm becoming a Meze fan! Gonna be hard to save up $3000 for the Empyrean's. Maybe I'll go for the Rai Pentas first.

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #238 of 267
Thanks! I didn't even try the stock cable. Just plugged in the Fiio 2.5mm balanced cable. Yea, things don't seem precise right now, so I'm looking forward to the changes with burn-in. The mids are a little too in the background right now. Do they come forward a little more? My understanding is they will have a slightly V shape sound signature, which I am fine with. I have the Meze 99 Classics and like them alot. I'm becoming a Meze fan! Gonna be hard to save up $3000 for the Empyrean's. Maybe I'll go for the Rai Pentas first.

I too have become a Meze fan, no doubt. The Empyrean and the Penta are way out of my budget. The 99 Classic (or Neo) are attainable, if I venture in that path. But right now the Solo’s are amazing and I’m loving them.

I believe you’re going to be surprised about those mids, mainly the upper ones will give you more clarity, I trust. The bass will be more controlled and you’ll have a little more lower bass. The highs will have a little more air but they will still roll off up top, which is fine by me.

I’ve a/b’d the stock cable and the C8 (still not so extensively) and, for me, the C8 is (pleasantly) a tad warmer and less analytical, giving you a little more bass and evening out the upper mids while still retaining clarity, as the instrument separation is very much there, the instrument separation, the soundstage. I must say that the stock cable is better than expected and I wouldn’t discard it. First impressions are that the C8 is just different, maybe sweeter.

I’m eager for more comparisons but mostly for other folks impressions on the Solo’s themselves.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #239 of 267
I highly recommend the Rai Pentas. I actually had Pentas before Solos. My Pentas are my most-used IEMs. Keep your eye on the classifieds, they come up for sale used from time to time, and the used price has come down, though I don't know why. I did find the Pentas a bit picky about what drives them. I used them for several months with an Astell&Kern DAP. Smooth, refined, liquid, lovely on Sunday afternoon. However, I could understand why many thought the Pentas boring. I bought a Questyle QP2r and find it a touch more dynamic than the A&K and that's just the ticket for the Rai Pentas for me. A bit extra punch, a little more articulation of individual notes, a little more slam in the loud places makes the Pentas just right for me.

The Empyreans would have to be a lottery splurge, or a retirement gift to myself. I don't even want to listen to them for fear I would then covet a pair and be unhappy until I sold a kidney for them.

For those curious (I think I've said this before): to my ears the Rai Pentas give you a little more of everything when compared to the Rai Solos. More detail retrieval, smoother sound overall, more bass extension and weight, more sparkle in the treble without sibilance or harshness. Your non-audiophile mate will wonder why anyone would spend 5x on the Penta what the Solo costs, but us audio geeks understand. The comparison is out there on the "diminishing returns curve", but those extra details are important to us and the Pentas provide a pretty healthy extra measure for your extra money.

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #240 of 267
I've been searching for a pair of Rai Pentas for months now on the classifieds and nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back