Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #31 of 12,975
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #32 of 12,975
Interesting that these headphones use drivers by Rinaro.

Early last year, a beautiful open-back planar headphone design by Rinaro was leaked here on Head-Fi, but nothing ever came of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Empyrean's were also co-designed by Rinaro, because they look fantastic! :heart_eyes:

I think I might still have Rinaro's EPK for their original headphone somewhere. I'll post some pics if I can find it.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #38 of 12,975
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #40 of 12,975
I'm in this one just for the definition.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #42 of 12,975
I found a video of Pavlo Shymanovych where he is talking about the Isodynamics driver.

Looks like planar magnetic, aka orthodynamic, but round, which might be the iso part. But hybrid and array? Hmmm.
The sound system in the video seems to have a traditional subwoofer with a dynamic driver. Maybe that?
But they said that one of their markets is VR... and the Ossic X, a headphone for VR, has an array of drivers in each ear - a big one for low frequencies and four small ones around the ear for high frequency positional cues (individually driven). It has an orientation sensor to simulate speakers in a room at a fixed location (independent of you rotating your head). Maybe these are trying something similar? Bit of a stretch, but it would explain the need for an array of drivers.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #44 of 12,975
The whole unit being replaceable is a huge strong suit for the 99 Classic and Neo. I would love to see that carried over to this if possible.

These are no lie in my top 3 “want to hear” at CanJam. Probably top 2 actually... the bang for the buck is real with this company. Can’t wait to hear a flagship from them

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #45 of 12,975
:beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back