Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 15, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #12,061 of 12,975
@ThanatosVI

Any reason you kept the Empys? I find the Elites too bright right now. Looking for a warm blanket to counteract the brighter TOTL tunings. Thanks.
If you find the Elites bright, I’d recommend trying them with a tube amp if you haven’t yet. I don’t find the Elite bright at all with my Quicksilver Headphone Amp paired with a Bifrost 2.

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #12,062 of 12,975
Last time I owned Empys were 2+ years ago. I moved up the ladder significantly since. I remember female vocals from memory were even more sultry then the Susvara, is this a correct assumption? I A/B Elites and Susvara for female vocals, and Susvara came up top for me. Are Empys female vocals better than the Elites?

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #12,063 of 12,975
If you find the Elites bright, I’d recommend trying them with a tube amp if you haven’t yet. I don’t find the Elite bright at all with my Quicksilver Headphone Amp paired with a Bifrost 2.
Well not bright overall, just compared to the Empys. I thought it was going to keep the same warmth and sultryness but with added detail. Instead it is tuned similar to Susvara but I believe Susvara is better in many aspects.

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #12,064 of 12,975
They have that thick, warm seductive sound.
A very unique tuning unlike everything else, that's why I keep them.

The Elite has the same house sound but is noteably less warm, more linear and detailed. Ultimately it is only a complenentary headphone and no replacement for me.
I'll add - I use my Empyreans for movies/TV and my Elites for music.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #12,066 of 12,975
Selling a 4.4 balanced silver upgrade cable. 1.2m length. Please check the classifieds.
20220922_113938.jpg

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #12,067 of 12,975
I would like to share my first experience with Empyeans.
I'm not an audiophile by any means. My current headphones are audioquest nightowl carbon and I also have Audio Technica msr-7 which I don't listen to anymore.

I had a chance to listen to some high-end headphones at an exhibition last weekend. The first one was some 400$ model of sendy audio, I don't remember the name. They were good, but not that they would replace my nightowls. Then I moved on Sendy audio peacock which is about 1000$ more expensive and I could not hear much difference.

Then I moved on to hifiman HE-1000. I know they are highly regarded in this community so I expected to be amazed by them. It didn't happen. I was just not having fun with them. Maybe if I would spend more time with them, I would appreciate them more, I don't know. They just didn't do it for me.

Next one was Sennheiser HD800. If Hifimans were not fun, these were just pure boredom. I put them down quickly and moved on. The bass was almost non-existent. And they sounded too thin.

After denons 9200, which were quite good for closed backs, I finally grabbed Empyreans . It was no contest with any other previous headphones I tried. The bass was just uncomparable. And one thing which I don't see in many reviews is, they have incredible separation, at least for me. Also the the vocals, midrange...
Every other cans just sounded too thin compared to Empyreans.

But at the cost of 3000$ I kind of was not surprised they sounded best from what I've heard to that point. Here comes the fun part.
Next I approached Susvaras. I expected to be blown away. And I was surprised, in a bad way. They may be more detailed etc...
but I didn't have fun. They played from chord hugo TT2. I realized ,this is 12k$ combo and it doesn't impress me, wow. So it's true, everyone have different needs in terms of sound.

Next I put on Abyss Diana. They sounded really good. In my preference, I would take them over Susvara any day, they were so natural. Abyss TC 1266 were on my head for like 30 seconds, because it was overcrowded in the room at the moment, so I won't comment on that. But to no surprise, they were close to diana.

Next I took Meze Elites. It was good but that full sound of Empys just wasn't there. They may be technically better, but I was missing something. Definitely better than Susvara and HE-1000 though.

To sum it up, I found out that it is not about how much the headphone cost at the first place. It's about sonic preferences. I can understand someone prefer few hundred dollars cans to few thousands dollars cans. Now I'm on my mission to save some money for Empyreans. This could be endgame for me, but I've never heard Utopia or any ZMF or Fostex or Audeze so I'm not going to be sure until i hear them.

As for pairing, I have SMSL SP200 amp, which is regarderd as analytical, and I hope it will be fine with Empys since they are full, lush sounding so hopefully they will compliment each other well. I don't care about 5% more detail retrieval at the cost of spending another few thousands for amps and dacs. But if something can notably improve the sound under $500 I'm willing to try that.

And sorry for my english, it' s not my first language

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #12,069 of 12,975
Next I approached Susvaras. I expected to be blown away. And I was surprised, in a bad way. They may be more detailed etc...
but I didn't have fun. They played from chord hugo TT2. I realized ,this is 12k$ combo and it doesn't impress me, wow. So it's true, everyone have different needs in terms of sound.
Susvara needs a very powerful amplifier. Chord Hugo TT2 does not rock them.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #12,071 of 12,975
-

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #12,073 of 12,975
hi there, I live in san mateo, CA (bay area). Does anyone have a Meze Empyrean I could demo for 10-15 minutes? I just need to try it before committing to buying. Will gladly pay, gift card, buy lunch/dinner. Thank you so much!
I cannot but as a new owner I have a hard time wanting to get up to take a break from work. I'm finding myself ****ing around on something else that I really don't need to do.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #12,074 of 12,975
I cannot but as a new owner I have a hard time wanting to get up to take a break from work. I'm finding myself ****ing around on something else that I really don't need to do.
Looking at your occupation, maybe better so :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back