Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 8, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #11,866 of 12,975
Thanks for reading my review! My settings are actually 90% the same as Oratory's, just with a little less treble and more air. If you want to experiment some more, you can get their write-up from here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets
Awesome! I'm planning on doing some experimenting this weekend now that I've put some hours on them. My Elites are still stuck in Germany, so it'll give me a chance to bring them to their highest potential.

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #11,867 of 12,975
Just spent an evening with the Empyrean, after a long absence since I got the Elites. Was listening through the Wells Audio Milo amp, to some brilliant progressive fusion in the Japanese band Kenso, and the French band Minimum Vital. It all sounded soo good. Love the Empyrean all over again. I still think the Elites are better technically. But in terms of deriving sheer enjoyment, both are equal to me. So for anyone who might be feeling envy or regret over having the Empyrean and not having the Elite-- don't. The Empyrean is still as excellent and satisfying as it ever was.

(That said, am I happy to have the Elites too? Hell yes. Call me a Meze fan).

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #11,868 of 12,975
If you are anywhere near Chicago or intend to attend AXPONA on 22-24 April 2022, please drop by Booth 8214 to check out the Meze Audio Showcase. We have the Elite/Empyrean/Liric on display with dCS Bartok and a Ferrum Erco, this is the perfect chance to explore/compare the Meze iso-dynamic headphones. It's a pity that I can't attend this event but the Meze Team is looking forward to seeing you there.
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

11745252.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 14, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #11,869 of 12,975
Just spent an evening with the Empyrean, after a long absence since I got the Elites. Was listening through the Wells Audio Milo amp, to some brilliant progressive fusion in the Japanese band Kenso, and the French band Minimum Vital. It all sounded soo good. Love the Empyrean all over again. I still think the Elites are better technically. But in terms of deriving sheer enjoyment, both are equal to me. So for anyone who might be feeling envy or regret over having the Empyrean and not having the Elite-- don't. The Empyrean is still as excellent and satisfying as it ever was.

Glad to know we have dedicated users enjoying our headphones every track, every moment.:beerchug:

If both Empyrean and Elite are equal to you "in terms of deriving sheer enjoyment", I guess you are putting musical experience before technicality. Your impression will be particularly meaningful to those who share your priority and preference.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #11,870 of 12,975
I wrote some thoughts on the Empyrean:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meze-audio-empyrean.23675/reviews#review-28289

I'm actually very curious how much better the Elite is, but I need to give my wallet a breather :cold_sweat:

This is a wonderful Empyrean review. Full of punch lines that marketing will love to quote them again and again.
  • The Empyrean is the definition of a musical headphone.
  • Honestly, they all reached a point where I don’t really feel the need to throw thousands more dollars to get to the next level.
  • The Empyreans are the headphones you pick up after a long day at work. .... You use them not to listen to your gear or source chain, but to just listen to the music.
You can feel the writer are very excited with his Empyrean. He used it, and he explored it, and he want to share his experience. I read a lot of Personal Audio product review and this is one of the most sincere sharing I come across in 2022 so far. :pray:

PS. By the way, which city are you located? Will there be any audio shows or headphone meets nearby so that you can check our the Meze Elite?

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #11,871 of 12,975
20220412_173940.jpg

I hooked up my empyrean to Formula S amp yesterday.
This is the best empyrean sound I've ever heard.

The bass is so controlled, tight and big. It doesnt diminish sub bass that empy good at.

The upper mid glare that sometimes strike my ear is gone. Replaced by sweet and lush mids that draw you nearer to the music.

The treble is detail and crisp and yet extended. You will mot feel fatigue even for long listening.

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #11,872 of 12,975
This is a wonderful Empyrean review. Full of punch lines that marketing will love to quote them again and again.
  • Honestly, they all reached a point where I don’t really feel the need to throw thousands more dollars to get to the next level.
  • The Empyreans are the headphones you pick up after a long day at work. .... You use them not to listen to your gear or source chain, but to just listen to the music.
You can feel the writer are very excited with his Empyrean. He used it, and he explored it, and he want to share his experience. I read a lot of Personal Audio product review and this is one of the most sincere sharing I come across in 2022 so far. :pray:

PS. By the way, which city are you located? Will there be any audio shows or headphone meets nearby so that you can check our the Meze Elite?
Thank you for reading my review! I'm actually located in Socal, but I missed Canjam last year :sweat: Hopefully I can attend this year

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #11,873 of 12,975
Apr 14, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #11,874 of 12,975
Apr 14, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #11,875 of 12,975
Thank you for reading my review! I'm actually located in Socal, but I missed Canjam last year :sweat: Hopefully I can attend this year

Well, there is another way to put it. If they keep the same schedule, you'll have another 6 months fully devoted to Empyrean before you check out the Elite. :L3000:

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #11,876 of 12,975

The bass is so controlled, tight and big. It doesnt diminish sub bass that empy good at.

The upper mid glare that sometimes strike my ear is gone. Replaced by sweet and lush mids that draw you nearer to the music.

The treble is detail and crisp and yet extended. You will mot feel fatigue even for long listening.

Courtesy of XiAudio, I have the honour to enjoy this setup for several weeks, and when I said enjoy, I rally enjoyed myself. :pray:

Elite and Empyrean with Formulaf S 01.jpg

Last edited:

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #11,877 of 12,975

The Formula S with Powerman is seriously good. I owned the full XIAudio stack for about a year.

Apr 14, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #11,878 of 12,975
Great little write-up. Thank you.

Now to work out the best way to EQ my Empyrean through my TT2 and MBP setup.

Any suggestions? I used to have an RME which made EQ simple.
SoundSource for Mac is outstanding
https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

Test it out for free, pay to unlock all the features. I can’t remember the differences between free and paid, but it’s worth every penny.

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #11,879 of 12,975

Just joined the Meze fan club of owning and keeping both Empyrean and Elite :L3000:

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #11,880 of 12,975

Yup, that about sums it up for me with the Empyrean. It is pretty much all the TOTL headphone I need, and delivers a sound profile that works best for my ears with most of the music I listen to. When I want something different, well I’ve got a few IEMs that complement/contrast with it very nicely.

Passion for Sound echoed a lot of this in his excellent review of the Elite, well worth a watch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back