Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 15, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #11,192 of 12,975
I now spent a few days with the Manley Absolute and yesterday I also received my new digital source, the Auralic Vega G1.

All I can say the Empyrean sound great and the Manley is an absolute pleasure to use, quite fun in fact.
You can switch the topology between push pull and set, change the quantity of feedback and it has even got a simple equaliser for treble and gain. All of those ‘tweaks’ are fun to play with and have a audible impact on the sound.

I’m not gonna try to describe the music coming out from the chain…it’s just plain magical to my ears, romantic, lush, but above all, very natural and life-like.
I was eyeing that amp for a while as well.
Must be magical

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #11,193 of 12,975
@realmassy.

very nice set up. the manley looks like a very interesting amp. don't know much about the vega. purchases seem to come in 2s or 3s, as if one spurs the other. i purchased an auris amp and shortly thereafter the empyrean; i guess the rationale is that one complements the other (or why not).

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #11,194 of 12,975
so far I've found the Empyrean are really easy to power.
I've used them on a DAP and older Grace M902 desktop amp.

Haven't tried on my tube amp yet.

What are some amp recommendations to push it to the limit?

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #11,195 of 12,975
So the new Elite hybrid earpads are now listed and specifically only for the Elite. Very disappointing.

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #11,197 of 12,975
What do you mean specifically only for the Elite? They likely would also fit Empyrean.
Not only likely they do fit for the Empyrean.
However they are more expensive than the other two pairs. 200€ per pair is quite a pricetag.

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #11,199 of 12,975
@realmassy.

very nice set up. the manley looks like a very interesting amp. don't know much about the vega. purchases seem to come in 2s or 3s, as if one spurs the other. i purchased an auris amp and shortly thereafter the empyrean; i guess the rationale is that one complements the other (or why not).
So true! I think it something like an addiction? You know when you start eating something nice and can’t stop? You want more and more…it feels pretty similar! But I should be fine and full for a while now. And the best way not to eat more is to stay away from the kitchen and temptations…head-fi in this case!

That's a good rig that you have!
Thank you Sir!
I was eyeing that amp for a while as well.
Must be magical
It doesn’t work with every headphones, not a fan with the HEDD for example, but I feel the 300ohm ZMF could be a good match. Maybe the HD800s too?

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #11,200 of 12,975
What do you mean specifically only for the Elite? They likely would also fit Empyrean.
They aren't showing in the drop down box for the Empyrean pads along with the the others, only for the Elite. They either aren't compatible or Meze don't seem to want to encourage Empyrean owners to purchase them.

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #11,201 of 12,975
They aren't showing in the drop down box for the Empyrean pads along with the the others, only for the Elite. They either aren't compatible or Meze don't seem to want to encourage Empyrean owners to purchase them.
Meze tuned the headphones with earpads in mind.
They Think that the Elite should be used with the Hybrid or Alcantara pads.
While the Empyrean should be used with leather or Alcantara (or the vegan option which according to Meze sounds identical to the leather option)

They are 100% compatible if you try to use the Hybrid pads on the Empyrean or Vice versa

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #11,203 of 12,975
Meze tuned the headphones with earpads in mind.
They Think that the Elite should be used with the Hybrid or Alcantara pads.
While the Empyrean should be used with leather or Alcantara (or the vegan option which according to Meze sounds identical to the leather option)

They are 100% compatible if you try to use the Hybrid pads on the Empyrean or Vice versa
It seems puzzling and contradictory to me that they encourage switching earpads as a way of tuning the Empyrean, but suddenly now seem to be keeping the new pads just officially for the Elite with no mention of their cross-compatabillty.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #11,205 of 12,975
Whatever happened to the "new" Empyrean pads that were in development? Was it cancelled or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back