Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 31, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #10,981 of 12,975
So there is a new driver and new pads.
You heard that right new earpads that will likely fit also for the Empyrean.

"02. LEATHER + ALCANTARA® HYBRID
With a soft, yet durable outer finish, the HYBRID ear cushions are a new addition to our earpad family that perfectly balances the qualities of Alcantara and leather into a single design. Besides the high wearing comfort, this unique combo lowers the bass pressure and delivers an airy sound signature, in which sound waves appear to trancend the space around you to create an immersive experience."

Personally I hope that the Elite can keep the elevated Bass when using the og Empyreans leather pads.
The new ear pads should definitely fit as their diaphragms are the exact same size.

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #10,982 of 12,975
So there is a new driver and new pads.
You heard that right new earpads that will likely fit also for the Empyrean.

"02. LEATHER + ALCANTARA® HYBRID
With a soft, yet durable outer finish, the HYBRID ear cushions are a new addition to our earpad family that perfectly balances the qualities of Alcantara and leather into a single design. Besides the high wearing comfort, this unique combo lowers the bass pressure and delivers an airy sound signature, in which sound waves appear to trancend the space around you to create an immersive experience."

Personally I hope that the Elite can keep the elevated Bass when using the og Empyreans leather pads.
Driver looks like the same too me. Not saying there isn't gonna be an improvement but 1 k more seems too much IMHO.

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #10,983 of 12,975
Driver looks like the same too me. Not saying there isn't gonna be an improvement but 1 k more seems too much IMHO.
Well specs like THD, Frequency extremes and even Impedance differ slightly.
So the tuning might as well.

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #10,985 of 12,975
And Dan Clark Audio Stealth headphone is keen on fake leather earpads... I like only genuine leather in headphones, especially the earpads.
Well Alcantara is fake leather per Definition, so the Elite comes only with fake leather as well...

Aug 31, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #10,987 of 12,975
Silver upgrade cable will cost extra as it looks like on top?🙄

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #10,989 of 12,975
So it's Elite and not Empyrean Elite after all.

Seems like it has an updated driver.

Wonder when we get the first sound impressions. I love the Empyrean and it will be interesting to see if its magic is passed on to Elite.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901-001156_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901-001156_Chrome.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #10,995 of 12,975
first review. Bloomaudio.com of the Elite.
I'm not surprised by this review. As soon as I heard the price I thought 'Oh, going up-market to battle Utopia, Susvara, Abyss, D8000, etc.' This review is a bit of a 'Love Letter', and that's fine -- can't criticize anyone for finding a piece of kit they love! Still, I look forward to reviews which takes a more critical look at the sound character, and also some pairing notes.

For example, he mentions that the highs aren't 'as smooth' as OG Empy highs -- does that mean there might be some sibilance? Also, how well do they take EQ?

But the real question in my mind is what will be the consensus* of those who love OG Empy? Will it be:

OMG, they took perfection and improved it!

or

OMG, they took the fun out!

* I get that the notion of 'consensus' is laughable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back