Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 24, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #10,816 of 12,975
A slightly heavier, hungrier version of the Empyrean with improved performance would be a huge win. (Per metal571's review) The original is so comfortable and easy to drive that Meze could add some extra magnets to the design and not really lose out on much in that arena, though whether or not that would necessarily yield higher sound quality is another question....
My main concerns are mainly with the change in sound. Technicalities aside, I'm curious to find out if it will manage to maintain the Empyrean's personality, and provide a subjectively improved version of the same kind of experience. Next question would be whether I'd have to change things up in my source chain to get the synergy in order and what that might potentially cost/earn me, and if the resulting improvement will justify the cost of upgrading, which will probably be more than €2k on top of what I could get back from selling my current Empy.

And I'm also very curious to try the Elite pads on the OG Empy, assuming (or hoping) that they could be different but interchangeable. That'll at least be worth exploring as a middle-ground, providing an option to gain some kind of potential improvement without breaking the bank.

Either way, I'm paying my dealer a visit once he has it on demo, and I'll just go in without too many hopes/expectations. Of course I'm super excited to get my ears on it and experience what Meze cooked up this time, but I don't really desire any specific outcome for my personal needs. I'm still happy with my Empy as-is, and there are currently a lot of things on my radar outside of audio as well, so to deliver enough of an improvement to make it to my shortlist won't be that easy.

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #10,818 of 12,975
My main concerns are mainly with the change in sound. Technicalities aside, I'm curious to find out if it will manage to maintain the Empyrean's personality, and provide a subjectively improved version of the same kind of experience. Next question would be whether I'd have to change things up in my source chain to get the synergy in order and what that might potentially cost/earn me, and if the resulting improvement will justify the cost of upgrading, which will probably be more than €2k on top of what I could get back from selling my current Empy.

And I'm also very curious to try the Elite pads on the OG Empy, assuming (or hoping) that they could be different but interchangeable. That'll at least be worth exploring as a middle-ground, providing an option to gain some kind of potential improvement without breaking the bank.

Either way, I'm paying my dealer a visit once he has it on demo, and I'll just go in without too many hopes/expectations. Of course I'm super excited to get my ears on it and experience what Meze cooked up this time, but I don't really desire any specific outcome for my personal needs. I'm still happy with my Empy as-is, and there are currently a lot of things on my radar outside of audio as well, so to deliver enough of an improvement to make it to my shortlist won't be that easy.
that's actually spot on also what I am wondering about while I am lucky to just enter the Empy scene with the new model.
Only listening tests will show if the change is to one's liking or the current Empy line is perfect as it is while the new one is "just" a side grade tonality wise.
What I am reminded of is the Denon line if anyone has followed that.
They brought out a D-7200 and then dunno a year later brought out a D9200.
There are still people preferring the 7200 for fun listening while 9200 is regarded as a more audiophile step up.
It's all very personal in the end as we are yet on a very high level - just my personal thoughts...

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #10,819 of 12,975
that's actually spot on also what I am wondering about while I am lucky to just enter the Empy scene with the new model.
Only listening tests will show if the change is to one's liking or the current Empy line is perfect as it is while the new one is "just" a side grade tonality wise.
What I am reminded of is the Denon line if anyone has followed that.
They brought out a D-7200 and then dunno a year later brought out a D9200.
There are still people preferring the 7200 for fun listening while 9200 is regarded as a more audiophile step up.
It's all very personal in the end as we are yet on a very high level - just my personal thoughts...
I have a feeling the 7200 / 9200 Situation will be very similar.

Regular Empyrean has the more "fun" tuning while the Elite will have a little more even frequency response. Less midbass is one Attribute I expect.

Really curious if it will mske sense to keep both.

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #10,820 of 12,975
anyone else lacking the list of online users?
It's gone on all of my devices and browsers since this morning

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #10,821 of 12,975
anyone else lacking the list of online users?
It's gone on all of my devices and browsers since this morning
Didn't realize before you mentioned it, but it's also gone for me

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #10,822 of 12,975
There's a new post on Meze fb fan page with some new shots of the incoming EE headphones :) Can't wait to see it. I hope it's going to be Empyrean with more resolution but preserving its unique relaxing profile.

Zrzut ekranu 2021-08-26 o 17.07.50.png

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #10,823 of 12,975
Yeah, the way they're talking about this, it's not the sub-2k product positioned between the Empy and 99s. If this isn't a new flagship, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #10,824 of 12,975
Yeah, the way they're talking about this, it's not the sub-2k product positioned between the Empy and 99s. If this isn't a new flagship, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Haha, I think I understand what you are trying to say, but it reads funny somehow. As in, how can you not be in favor of the best getting better... :wink:

I agree, it certainly looks to be heading in the direction of an Empyrean successor. And for me, that makes it more interesting, not less.. :) We will have clarity by next week, at the latest.

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #10,825 of 12,975
I don't see why Meze would need or want to have a successor to the Empyreans so soon. They are doing very well with the Empyreans with few complaints, so fix something that's not broken?

A trickle down technology model seems more sensible. However, with a name like Elite, it seems unlikely that it's not a top-of-the-line model.

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #10,826 of 12,975
I don't see why Meze would need or want to have a successor to the Empyreans so soon. They are doing very well with the Empyreans with few complaints, so fix something that's not broken?

A trickle down technology model seems more sensible. However, with a name like Elite, it seems unlikely that it's not a top-of-the-line model.
Soon... is 3.5 years soon? Yes, maybe, certainly if you compare to LCD4 or Utopia. But it was their first attempt at a flagship headphone, and I guess they see enough room for improvement on that first model. So I am getting a little excited actually..

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #10,829 of 12,975
Yes , the cheapest new Dacia and the Elite will be in
Price probably isn't that far away , I think, …:smile:
The Empyrean will outlast the Dacia by a significant margin tho...

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #10,830 of 12,975
Soon... is 3.5 years soon? Yes, maybe, certainly if you compare to LCD4 or Utopia. But it was their first attempt at a flagship headphone, and I guess they see enough room for improvement on that first model. So I am getting a little excited actually..
Oh, I do wonder what price point they target if this is a successor as the naming scheme implies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back