Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 8, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #9,856 of 12,975
Thanks for the suggestion. This might work for me.
I have one of those, a noir hybrid pigtail. It's nice but not very cheap, at 115 euros. I got it because I have several noir hybrid cables.

May 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #9,858 of 12,975
So I understand that the “bass and slam” on these aren’t too heavy in comparison to the lcd4, but, can’t they still get some thunder from down under going on?

will it be as much or more punch and slam than the m50x? Dumb question I know, but I enjoy listening to metal music on those because of the impact.

May 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #9,859 of 12,975
So I understand that the “bass and slam” on these aren’t too heavy in comparison to the lcd4, but, can’t they still get some thunder from down under going on?

will it be as much or more punch and slam than the m50x? Dumb question I know, but I enjoy listening to metal music on those because of the impact.
I can't comment on comparisons with the m50x, but to your question about bass, I must admit that I chuckled. When the music is supposed to thump, the Empyreans certainly oblige.

As Betula so eloquently put it on page 657, "The advantage of the leather pads is a more focused, cleaner and punchier bass. Bass definition, detail and punch somehow gets lost with the suede pads. Bass presentation is softer, not as defined. The cleaner, more layered and significantly more impactful bass performance of the leather pads win for EDM any day."

The only caveats that I could think to add is-

1) that for metal (and other faster/busier music) in particular, as I've stated before, I prefer the Alcantara pads on my setup, as the Empys seem to keep up better with better staging, separation and clarity in general.

2) These headphones get A LOT better with burn-in, in my recent experience, more so than any other headphone I've owned. I would advise that if you do go for the Empys, make sure that you have adequate amplification (it doesn't have to be too crazy to start off with, but these headphones will scale), and just give it time.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #9,860 of 12,975
With the right DAC/amp pairing the Empyrean is literally just a step behind the LCD4 in bass slam and impact and the Audeze flagship is the king of bass. A clear and powerful class A SS amp can deliver impressive amount of bass impact and slam on the Meze. I think many people who complain about lack of bass slam on the Empyrean use 'toy' amps. With poor pairings the bass indeed can sound soft and unrefined. Bass becomes tight and alive with the right amount of class A power and current.

May 8, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #9,862 of 12,975
think many people who complain about lack of bass slam on the Empyrean use 'toy' amps. With poor pairings the bass indeed can sound soft and unrefined. Bass becomes tight and alive with the right amount of class A power and current.
Could not agree more. I was really surprised by the Meze' s bass when i first heard it wih Ayon ha3. It is not solid state but really makes the Empy's bass kicking.

May 8, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #9,863 of 12,975
Ok in that price range there are:

Feliks Euforia Anniversary Edition (even though price got increased to 2800 in some countries) - warm tubey character, well liked with the Empyrean but doesn't offer much power if you also need it for other headphones.

Depending on country the Cayin HA-6A.
Usually you can get it from many countries, however pricing is very random (some countries ask 2500 others 3600€)
If it is available, I can totally recommend it though.
It has a more modern less tubey sound, imo it hit the sweetspot.

McIntosh releases their new MHA 200 this month, maybe this turns out to be a hit as well. It also doesn't offer gobs of power, but with the Empyrean that is of no concern. (Price varies hugely just like cayin though)

Gott read up on the Auris, the Nirvana is amazing with the Empyrean. Maybe the little brother delivers as well

Turns out most others I had in mind are either US or more expensive.
I'm curious about the Manley but don't have an experience with that one and the Empyrean.

The PrimaLunas are integrated amps, since they are so similar to the Cayin HA-6A I only recommend them if you want to use speakers as well or are set on KT150s.

Otherwise the Cayin ha-6a offers similar performance for way less money.
I would add Ayon ha3 (although a bit more expensive). This was really my discovery how it pairs with Meze.

I also always wanted to try Manley.

May 8, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #9,864 of 12,975
Could not agree more. I was really surprised by the Meze' s bass when i first heard it wih Ayon ha3. It is not solid state but really makes the Empy's bass kicking.
Indeed. Pairing and scaling can't be underestimated with high-end headphones, regardless a low impedance rating.
This is why the current trend of YouTube reviewers saying: 'you don't need more than a Magni 3 with the 32ohm Empyrean' pisses me off so much.
Loudness doesn't mean the headphone is well-driven. IMO the majority of negative Empyrean reviews come from poor amp pairings.

May 8, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #9,865 of 12,975
Indeed. Pairing and scaling can't be underestimated with high-end headphones, regardless a low impedance rating.
This is why the current trend of YouTube reviewers saying: 'you don't need more than a Magni 3 with the 32ohm Empyrean' pisses me off so much.
Loudness doesn't mean the headphone is well-driven. IMO the majority of negative Empyrean reviews come from poor amp pairings.
Synerhy is everything. The gear need not to be really expensive. Empys seems to sound good with unexpensive gear (amps/DAC), they can sound mediocrate with some top level gear, while sounding fantastic with other top gear. At least this is my experience.

May 8, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #9,866 of 12,975
Synerhy is everything. The gear need not to be really expensive. Empys seems to sound good with unexpensive gear (amps/DAC), they can sound mediocrate with some top level gear, while sounding fantastic with other top gear. At least this is my experience.
Synergy is everything I agree, but there is a minimum level of quality that needs to be met. Once you heard the Empy on a great amp around 1-2K I don't think you could go back to any Magni 3 level amp. (And the Magni 3 is a great amp for its price.)

May 8, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #9,867 of 12,975
Agreed. I’m yet to find a planar can that doesn’t benefit from a decent amp behind it. Comments like dull, lifeless, congested.

I very much love my Empy’s though they haven’t had much ear time since the Trailli landed

May 8, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #9,869 of 12,975
And this is the reason i am afraid of listening new expensive gear:))
As most of us are. Enjoy what you have as long as you can. There is no rush.
Sooner or later your budget will set your limit. There are 30-40K DAC/amp combos for some lucky people with unlimited budget. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back