Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 23, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #7,816 of 12,975
Ordered a Meze Empyrean which arrived already, a GS-X Mini (hasn't arrived yet), and the silver plated balanced upgrade cable which also hasn't arrived yet.

I am so pumped. Having owned the Empyrean before, I regret ever parting with it, but I was very obviously using an amp/dac combo that wasn't working on these, and I've since upgraded my amps and dacs a lot since.

It sounds incredible on my improved amp and dac already so if the Mini and silver cable improve things even further, I'll be super happy. Definitely confirmed my theory that the issue was in my old amp/dac not bringing these to their full potential.
Let me know how GS-X mini is, as I'm thinking of upgrading from a90.

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #7,817 of 12,975
Ordered a Meze Empyrean which arrived already, a GS-X Mini (hasn't arrived yet), and the silver plated balanced upgrade cable which also hasn't arrived yet.

I am so pumped. Having owned the Empyrean before, I regret ever parting with it, but I was very obviously using an amp/dac combo that wasn't working on these, and I've since upgraded my amps and dacs a lot since.

It sounds incredible on my improved amp and dac already so if the Mini and silver cable improve things even further, I'll be super happy. Definitely confirmed my theory that the issue was in my old amp/dac not bringing these to their full potential.
Congratz, that was quick.

It gets better with coffee.

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #7,818 of 12,975

Congratulaton! Which color did you get? What is your current dac/amp?

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #7,819 of 12,975
Yeah, Crutchfield seriously got it to me within 24 hours-ish I think.

I'll come back and make any streams of consciousness notes regarding the GS-X Mini + upgrade cable improving things.

I used to be that type of person who heavily prioritized headphones over amps/dacs, and while I agree that this is still how I feel, amps and dacs are definitely more important than I originally believed. I think the reason I slacked off on them was because a lot of stuff in my collection sounded great on what I already had, so, I didn't see upgrading as a huge priority. When the Empyrean I ordered last time didn't sound all that great, it didn't click that some headphones are maybe more picky to amps/ dacs.

I'm currently using the Asgard 3, Schiit Magnius, and Rupert Neve RNHP. My dacs are Schiit Modius (which actually sounds amazing) and I also have a Schiit Bifrost 2.

At the time, I had a Schiit Modi 3 during my first go-around with the Empyreans and it didn't seem to do it many favors. Ah well, live and learn.

Also, I got it in the copper color. :relieved:

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #7,820 of 12,975

I'll come back and make any streams of consciousness notes regarding the GS-X Mini + upgrade cable improving things.

I used to be that type of person who heavily prioritized headphones over amps/dacs, and while I agree that this is still how I feel, amps and dacs are definitely more important than I originally believed. I think the reason I slacked off on them was because a lot of stuff in my collection sounded great on what I already had, so, I didn't see upgrading as a huge priority. When the Empyrean I ordered last time didn't sound all that great, it didn't click that some headphones are maybe more picky to amps/ dacs.

I'm currently using the Asgard 3, Schiit Magnius, and Rupert Neve RNHP. My dacs are Schiit Modius (which actually sounds amazing) and I also have a Schiit Bifrost 2.

At the time, I had a Schiit Modi 3 during my first go-around with the Empyreans and it didn't seem to do it many favors. Ah well, live and learn.

Totally understand this. I find the Empyreans scale very well with different setups. I originally used it on a WM1A and TAZH1ES with the Alcantara pads, but on a Chord Hugo 2 or DMP, i much prefer the leather pads.

You'll find the silver cable a wonderful upgrade and copper is an excellent choice.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #7,821 of 12,975
Totally understand this. I find the Empyreans scale very well with different setups. I originally used it on a WM1A and TAZH1ES with the Alcantara pads, but on a Chord Hugo 2 or DMP, i much prefer the leather pads.

You'll find the silver cable a wonderful upgrade and copper is an excellent choice.

Hey, thanks! Yeah, it's so odd, but a lot of my current headphones are not that amp/dac picky at all. Sure, I definitely prefer them all with a specific pairing, but the nuances there are subtle.

With the Empyrean, upgrading my amp/dac even just a little bit made it more full bodied, more rich, and just better.

Everyone kept touting these as being super easy to drive, so, I had a cheap amp + a little Schiit Modi 3 back when I first got them and the bass sounded a bit uncontrolled, sound wasn't very cohesive and separated, and I actually remember having a bit of a mental breakdown because I became convinced that they were not that great.

When I got my new pair of Empyreans, first thing I did was use the same amp that I used before but I added a much better dac to it this time around. Already the sound improved a ton. It wasn't subtle, it was completely night and day. Then I started playing around with some better amps that I accumulated in the time since I last owned them, and, wow. These really scale in such a way that blows my mind.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #7,822 of 12,975
Hey, thanks! Yeah, it's so odd, but a lot of my current headphones are not that amp/dac picky at all. Sure, I definitely prefer them all with a specific pairing, but the nuances there are subtle.

With the Empyrean, upgrading my amp/dac even just a little bit made it more full bodied, more rich, and just better.

Everyone kept touting these as being super easy to drive, so, I had a cheap amp + a little Schiit Modi 3 back when I first got them and the bass sounded a bit uncontrolled, sound wasn't very cohesive and separated, and I actually remember having a bit of a mental breakdown because I became convinced that they were not that great.

When I got my new pair of Empyreans, first thing I did was use the same amp that I used before but I added a much better dac to it this time around. Already the sound improved a ton. It wasn't subtle, it was completely night and day. Then I started playing around with some better amps that I accumulated in the time since I last owned them, and, wow. These really scale in such a way that blows my mind.
Unlike you, I had a mental breakdown because they were too good. Kidding, my biggest obstacle with the Empyrean when I first had it was getting the left and right plugs correctly.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #7,824 of 12,975
Congrats Jeweltopia :)

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #7,825 of 12,975

That's a heck of a setup. I see you have ADX5000 and HD800S's. The Empyrean's should complement both of those headphones very nicely.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #7,826 of 12,975
Has anyone moved from the Empyrean to 1266 TC, or own both and can provide some comparative thoughts?

I've got a potential trade opportunity and curious to hear from those with experience with the two headphones.

Love my Empyreans, but the 1266 TC cost is extreme without letting something else I have go.

I'd likely buy the Empyrean again in future anyway, perhaps a different colour.

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #7,827 of 12,975

I think Headphones and DAC/Amp behave similar to Lens and Camera selection.

As a photographer we always strive to gain great detail, contrast with as little distortion and imperfections as possible with the imagery we capture. I have several lenses which make the Empy seem cheap, designed to work with high quality, high MP cameras. They make my life easier as I have to spend less time processing images dealing with those imperfections.

If I take a cheaper lens and use it on a cheaper camera body that resolves to say 16-20mp sensor, it can look very good. Take that high end lens and stick it on that camera and the image will look a little better but not fantastic given the price difference. But on a camera with a bigger / better sensor the lens really shines and produces bags more detail and excellent micro contrast.

However, there are downsides with the better cameras... they do need those better lenses. If you pop that cheap lens on them they will reveal / magnify all the imperfections and weaknesses of that lens. Most likely will look soft (focus), especially on the edges and corners with poor detail and plenty of aberrations. This is why you tend to buy the best lenses you can afford as they'll allow you to upgrade camera later on without having to replace the lenses.

Headphones and DAC/Amp combinations seem to work the same way. You could have the best DAC/Amp in the world but if you use budget headphones and speakers it will never impress. But, you could have the best headphones in the world and they'll only reveal the maximum level of detail that the DAC/Amp is capable of... no more.

Consideration has to be given to the whole chain to maintain a good balance and not to sacrifice one element over another. That includes cabling and power.

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #7,828 of 12,975
Has anyone moved from the Empyrean to 1266 TC, or own both and can provide some comparative thoughts?

I've got a potential trade opportunity and curious to hear from those with experience with the two headphones.

Love my Empyreans, but the 1266 TC cost is extreme without letting something else I have go.

I don't own the AB-1266 but have auditioned it quite extensively on a few separate occasions. I would say that what you gain in sound when upgrading to the AB-1266, you lose in comfort. It's a mostly linear upgrade in sound quality, getting a considerably more expansive soundstage, much stronger dynamics and more treble energy. While the Empyrean's sound is inoffensive and laid back, the AB-1266 is the exact opposite, and you'll be at the mercy of the source gear driving them to minimize listening fatigue.

I cannot see the AB-1266 as a true upgrade over the Empyrean, since it's not an ideal headphone to use for many hours a day. But if you just want the best listening experience, yeah the AB-1266 will deliver a considerable upgrade on that front.

Sep 24, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #7,829 of 12,975

I've auditioned the Abyss and here are my thoughts on it.

With the Abyss, you can't move your head much at all with them on. You have a very light seal that ever so gently touches your ears, and if you move your head wrong or shift positions too much, you can lose that perfect fit that you worked so hard to achieve. Some people find a perfect fit and actually find them comfortable. Some people will struggle to find a perfect fit, and even once they do, they find them to be very awkward fitting and uncomfortable.

Many people who own the Abyss say that they put them on for a few songs and that's it. I've seen lots of people say that they put them on to listen to a few songs, and, they can't be bothered with wearing them for much beyond that point. I do see some people wearing them for a few hours a day but I can't imagine doing that. The Abyss were going to be my next big upgrade, but, I bought the Raal Requisites and quickly returned them which made me re-think the Abyss for reasons which I'll list. I was in SoCal once at a headphone show and tried the Abyss and the Raal Requisite SR1A. I had the Abyss and Raals on for... a few minutes, tops? Loved the sound from both. Recently, ordered a Raal SR1A and got a migraine from the pads (the ones near your temples) causing tension and pressure. Returned them because comfort was obviously an issue. It took about 15 minutes of wearing them for me to notice how uncomfortable I was feeling, so, it had me re-thinking the Abyss as well. While I easily tolerated the heaviness, the awkward fit, the fiddling around and adjusting them in order for them to sit properly, etc., I looked back on my brief time with the Abyss and realized that even though I could have dealt with that for a few minutes, I didn't know if I could deal with it for an hour or two.

As someone who can afford high end stuff, I avoid Audezes for example because they're heavy and strain my neck too much. I'm a female with a small head so this can all heavily play into it. I avoid Hifiman because I've had a few Hifimans fail on me due to quality control issues, but, I hear that's gotten a lot better. And likewise, I've been avoiding Abyss because of the awkward fit and comfort issues.

Headphones like the Abyss and Raal are more like "ear speakers" than headphones, so instead of going with one of those (because they both have comfort issues to me), I instead try to prioritize comfy headphones and upgraded my desk speakers for whenever I want that speaker experience. If you were to get an Abyss, I'd maybe get the Diana Phi and ask them if they have DMS modded pads, still. The Dianas have awkward fits too for some heads, but, there are mods Abyss can do perhaps to help with this. Knowing Abyss, though, they release new models relatively frequently. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the future, they released a Diana Phi TC with the TC drivers but with none of that awkward fit. Who knows what Abyss will release in the future. They seem to be perfecting their drivers more and more with each iteration and are making strides towards helping with comfort by recently releasing a new and improved leather strap for the 1266 models. I'd be thrilled to see what Abyss comes up with within a year or two.

I feel as though it's easy to say that you would be willing to trade off comfort for sound quality until you try wearing something awkward for a prolonged period of time. I used to be like this, too, but then I tried wearing Audezes for longer than half an hour and got bad neck pain. The Raals gave me a headache within 15-20 minutes. The Abyss, I only tried briefly, so I don't know how I'd fare with it over long listening sessions, but having dealt with some uncomfy headphones, I would take something comfortable over something awkward in my personal opinion.

The Abyss will also really be amp/dac/source dependent. If you pair the wrong amp with it, it'll show. If you pair the wrong dac with it, it will show. If you try to listen to a file (even if it is FLAC for example) but the mastering on it was garbage, then it'll show. Just some stuff to consider.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #7,830 of 12,975
That's simply not accurate...most Abyss owners (myself included) use them for hours on end without issue. They barely contact your ears (if you set the fit correctly) and are just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back