Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 21, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #7,576 of 12,975
Tape hiss (not records) is a weird artifact that is pleasant once you get used to it but distracting if you've b never heard it before.
Yes, it adds a bit of that analog feel to digital records. I grew up on vinyl and cassette tapes so I'm use to it :)

Aug 21, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #7,577 of 12,975
I might switch to high gain with the empys, abyss, and lcd4.
I don't like my Abyss TC's out of the TT2 single ended outputs. They sound underpowered. The Empyrean's on the other hand sounded great. Notes had plenty of weight to them and everything was in musically.

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #7,578 of 12,975
Hi all I will be joining the club this week. Very excited to finally have these.

PS If anyone needs to get a new pair of these I got a really smoking deal from a vendor, pm and I'll tell you...

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #7,579 of 12,975
Has anyone tried double helix cable prion 4 and danacables lazuli nirvana with meze empyrean? Between these two - which one is the better match? Which one has right synergy with meze empyrean and provides musical, 3d holographic experience? Thanks.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #7,580 of 12,975
Has anyone tried double helix cable prion 4 and danacables lazuli nirvana with meze empyrean? Between these two - which one is the better match? Which one has right synergy with meze empyrean and provides musical, 3d holographic experience? Thanks.
Those are some serious cabling options. I have a DHC Prion 4 on my Susvara's and the cable disappears and let them shine. The Susvara's are already musical, airy, and 3D and the Prion 4 does nothing to take away those attributes. From what I an tell, it a seriously neutral cable.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #7,581 of 12,975
Those are some serious cabling options. I have a DHC Prion 4 on my Susvara's and the cable disappears and let them shine. The Susvara's are already musical, airy, and 3D and the Prion 4 does nothing to take away those attributes. From what I an tell, it a seriously neutral cable.

Thanks. Is prion 4 worth the price? Can we easily identify the sound benefit compared to the stock cable?

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #7,582 of 12,975
Do you suggest any other better sounding cable for meze empyrean?

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #7,583 of 12,975
I'm still on the standard XLR with my Empyrean, seems to work fine with my V281. I'd like to buy a 'nicer' cable, and if it sounded better, better yet.

Do they actually make a difference though? So many bite your head off when you ask and state without any doubt in their mind that it's all bull.

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #7,584 of 12,975
Here's a pic I snapped the other night.

Still the most stunning headphone i've ever seem.

01CC9AB5-B683-42E9-B243-E3A61083C2BB.jpeg

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #7,585 of 12,975
Do you suggest any other better sounding cable for meze empyrean?
Meze’s own silver plated upgrade cable is awesome with the Empyrean’s. There’s also the Norne Silvergarde S4, which should pair very well with them. Both are cheaper options and are big improvements over the stock cable.

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #7,586 of 12,975
I'm still on the standard XLR with my Empyrean, seems to work fine with my V281. I'd like to buy a 'nicer' cable, and if it sounded better, better yet.

Do they actually make a difference though? So many bite your head off when you ask and state without any doubt in their mind that it's all bull.
They do make a difference but it's nuanced, not night&day.

I recommend norne audio for aftermarket cables.
I myself use a Skraug with the Empyrean

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #7,587 of 12,975
I'll look into the Norne cables. They've been recommended to me a few times.

I did try to find the Skraug and Silvergrade S4 but couldn't locate either on the Norne site.

Regarding the Meze cables, Silver vs. Copper for the V281. What would be the suggestion?

Has anyone owned or tried both and can actually tell a difference?

Aug 23, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #7,588 of 12,975
I switched DACs about a week ago. I went from the Chord Qutest to the Topping D90 MQA. I highly recommend the d90 with the Empyreans. The level of detail I get to experience is a solid step above what the Qutest offered and it feels like a whole new set of headphones.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #7,589 of 12,975
I switched DACs about a week ago. I went from the Chord Qutest to the Topping D90 MQA. I highly recommend the d90 with the Empyreans. The level of detail I get to experience is a solid step above what the Qutest offered and it feels like a whole new set of headphones.
How you like the Rebel Amp? I see it in your profile pic. I am thinking of picking one up. I just got the Audio Technica ATH-AWKT and want a different sound than my THX 789. I have a R2-R DAC as well.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #7,590 of 12,975
How you like the Rebel Amp? I see it in your profile pic. I am thinking of picking one up. I just got the Audio Technica ATH-AWKT and want a different sound than my THX 789. I have a R2-R DAC as well.
I found the RebelAmp to be too warm when paired with the Empyreans. Very nice but not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back