Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 21, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #6,961 of 12,975
Thank you for picking our Empyrean as your favorite, we hope the Empyrean will become your long term favorite after you have tried all the target headphones in your list.

Since you have a first class solid-state setup already, if you plan to add another headphone amplifier to your system, maybe you can consider a tube headphone amplifier, that will give your more flexibility in mix and match within your own system.

Low powered tube amplifier might have limited choice of speaker to pair with, but in the case of headphone applications, even low power DHT vacuum tubes such as 300B will have enough power to handle very demanding headphones with stella dynamic.

In addition, Empyrean pairs well with tube headphone amplifier, we have tried tube amplifiers from Auris, Cayin and Feliks in previous shows and they all sings with Empyrean. So do consider the tube option seriously.

Empyrean with HA6A.jpg
Great thanks! I actually have an icon audio hp8 mk2 so I'm set! No pun intended lol.

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #6,962 of 12,975
Great thanks! I actually have an icon audio hp8 mk2 so I'm set! No pun intended lol.

Very good, so you are all set, we just sit back and wait for your impression! :beerchug:

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jun 22, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #6,964 of 12,975
I have been researching a second amp for my Empy for some late night bed time listening. I was conflicted about spending money on this since the listening time would be low. I have a PeachTree Nova 150 Integrated that I was getting ready to sell today on A'gon. I hooked up the Empy to the headphone jack on the NOVA that I had not paid any attention too in the past. What a nice surprise. It sounded OK, nothing like the Benchmark HPA4+DAC3B but not too bad. If the sound of the Empy on the Benchmark is an A+ the Peachtree is a solid B+. I am keeping the NOVA now. This is the 3rd time I was about to sell the NOVA but I always seem to find a reason to keep it.

The NOVA can be had used for $800-$1100 USD.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #6,967 of 12,975
I have the chance to get another bryston bha1, but perhaps having two is overkill.
At which price would you be able to get it? (Pm if you dont wanna Post it publicly)
I'd make this decision dependant on this factor.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #6,969 of 12,975
A friend of mine has one and I could get it for $1100 CAD.
That Sounds like a Steal, isnt it like 2200USD normally?

Just checked the price of a new unit in germany 2250€ = 3426 CAD

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #6,970 of 12,975
That Sounds like a Steal, isnt it like 2200USD normally?

Just checked the price of a new unit in germany 2250€ = 3426 CAD
Just as a data point, I sold my BHA-1 for 950 USD -- I was the second owner and it was visually 8/10 with a few scrapes, but 10/10 functionally.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #6,971 of 12,975
Just as a data point, I sold my BHA-1 for 950 USD -- I was the second owner and it was visually 8/10 with a few scrapes, but 10/10 functionally.
Ok if that is a "usual" price point for used BHA-1s then I might get one at some point for my own setup. (and his 1100 CAD is still cheaper than the 950 USD, so he gets hell of a deal imo).
Thanks for the data point

I guess I will post a few amps I am considering as pairing for my Empyrean here, to gather some feedback :thinking:

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #6,972 of 12,975
Ok if that is a "usual" price point for used BHA-1s then I might get one at some point for my own setup. (and his 1100 CAD is still cheaper than the 950 USD, so he gets hell of a deal imo).
Thanks for the data point

I guess I will post a few amps I am considering as pairing for my Empyrean here, to gather some feedback :thinking:
No idea what the market price might be for a BHA-1 today -- just trying to provide a data point.

I actually had BHA-1 & Empyrean at the same time. I didn't think it was a great pairing as I would have preferred something a bit brighter. For example, I preferred Empy via my Liquid Platinum w/ Brimar CV-2492 tubes.

Others disagree pretty vigorously :)

Jun 22, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #6,973 of 12,975
I maybe the person that just bought the BHA-1 for $USD 980 from Canada that is mentioned here.

BTW - I bought this unit because of the great feedback on this thread about the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back