Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 10, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #6,706 of 12,975
Well I have already posted my early impressions somewhere above.
Anyway to keep it short this is only headphone that sounds like my Audiophysic set up.
Headphones sound , well you know like headphones....
This sounds like speakers in a good room.
Tonality for my ears is just perfect - as close to the real thing.
They are not neutral , they natural.
They pose all the technical ability that you would ever need but it is in the background.
This are made to play music , the other flagships are made to extract detail if you know what I mean.
The war of the flagships pushed design to favor technicalities and detail extraction with bad tonality , forgetting to play music.
Meze doesn't bite , its is music from the beginning to the end.
Let the others blame this that are not resolving.
I have been trying to describe my experiences with the Empyreans and I think you nailed it when you said "they are not neutral, they are natural.".

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #6,707 of 12,975
Just arrived!
This is the best looking Version.
Beautiful, love it!

Enjoy, I am starting a listening Session right now!

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #6,709 of 12,975
I buy all my headphones without hearing them due to living in the stix, so I listen to you all and your reviews. I know that I'm looking for the exact opposite of the hd800 and utopia and beyers. I cannot stand treble spikes and/or bright headphones.

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #6,710 of 12,975
Well I have already posted my early impressions somewhere above.
Anyway to keep it short this is only headphone that sounds like my Audiophysic set up.
Headphones sound , well you know like headphones....
This sounds like speakers in a good room.
Tonality for my ears is just perfect - as close to the real thing.
They pose all the technical ability that you would ever need but it is in the background.
This are made to play music , the other flagships are made to extract detail if you know what I mean.
The war of the flagships pushed design to favor technicalities and detail extraction with bad tonality , forgetting to play music.
Meze doesn't bite , its is music from the beginning to the end.
Let the others blame this that are not resolving.
Bravo sir.

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #6,711 of 12,975
I buy all my headphones without hearing them due to living in the stix, so I listen to you all and your reviews. I know that I'm looking for the exact opposite of the hd800 and utopia and beyers. I cannot stand treble spikes and/or bright headphones.
Same here, and from the descriptions it felt like the Meze Empyrean is the perfect headphone for me.
I didn't have them on my Radar until few weeks ago.

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #6,712 of 12,975

Bingo!!!

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #6,714 of 12,975
True, so here it is.
Unfortunately the copper Version, which is the least attractive one of all three.
Listening impressions will follow, had it on for 45 Minutes, but now I have to return to work.
20200610_114729.jpg
Like I mentioned, too bad we are not on the same continent, congrats, love the copper!

Love that phrase.....l might have steel it! :)

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #6,717 of 12,975

Not the sticks, but no demo possibilities here either, but I like you wasn't a Beyer fan, returned the 1990. The Empy just arrived late last week, following reviews and impressions to what I believe my tastes are worked out perfectly.
Overall my favorite. The LCD-4 also sounded greatly to my liking, but the comfort difference makes a big enough difference to me itself even if the Empy sounded worse.
Thick, body, full, and natural come to my mind while listening to the Empy.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #6,718 of 12,975
Not the sticks, but no demo possibilities here either, but I like you wasn't a Beyer fan, returned the 1990. The Empy just arrived late last week, following reviews and impressions to what I believe my tastes are worked out perfectly.
Overall my favorite. The LCD-4 also sounded greatly to my liking, but the comfort difference makes a big enough difference to me itself even if the Empy sounded worse.
Great stuff. If these are supercharged 99 classics I will certainly be in love.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #6,719 of 12,975
Yep, those adjectives work, although my favorite was 'lush'.

Aside from comfort (which is obviously no contest) how would you compare Empy vs LCD4?

Thanks

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #6,720 of 12,975
I recommend one on which the earcups are closed, so that dust doesn't reach the driver.
E.g. an Omegastand

Even though I actually like the looks of yours
Can't recommend the omega stand for planar headphones.
A german distributor for audeze (cma in Gräfelfing near Munich) told me on a privat audition, that most of the driver failures in the past comes from using a closed stand.
Hanging the planars on the stand while they're playing music will force the membran to touch the magnets bc of the air pressure introduced by the sealing of the stand.
For planars i'd prefer stands like the Zmf or the Room's by audioline.

Btw.
The stand from staffz93 is a cheap Avantree stand from Amazon, i do own too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back