Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 26, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #6,542 of 12,975
I think the Meze Empyrean is going to be my next headphone. Do any of you guys use it for rock and metal? Is it a strong performer for both?

I listen to many genres, but multiple subgenres of rock and metal included.. I'll have a pair any day now, just waiting on arrival.
I'll be including impressions here after some time with them and I will definitely run plenty rock and metal through them before sharing thoughts.

May 26, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #6,543 of 12,975
The Black Copper version.. silly question but I want to 100% confirm that it is anodized metal with copper color and not actual copper so I know whether to expect it to eventually turn turquoise like the Statue of Liberty when it rusts/corrodes?

:statue_of_liberty:

May 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #6,544 of 12,975
I think the Meze Empyrean is going to be my next headphone. Do any of you guys use it for rock and metal? Is it a strong performer for both?
I use the Empyrean more so for hip hop and EDM. They can be used for metal, but I think my Verite are better for that style.

May 26, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #6,545 of 12,975
Let's talk pairings.

How does the empyrean pair with the following?

- Schiit Mjolnir 2
- Schiit Gungnir Multibit
- Woo Audio WA6-SE
- Holo Spring 2 Level 1

Would be nice if someone who has experience with any of these pairings could share them.

you need a really clear and transparent Solid state...that mid-bass is really annoying unless you love bass.

May 26, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #6,546 of 12,975
you need a really clear and transparent Solid state...that mid-bass is really annoying unless you love bass.
Ha I do love bass which is why I like the Empy, but I do agree, In General tubes and Empy = No go. Especially a lush tube amp or tube rolling combination. I would generally say a neutral to even slightly bright SS amp would be best.

May 26, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #6,547 of 12,975
I share the sentiments above. Empy plus hpa4 is very clean and bass is great. Not too thick but just nice for edm.

I pair with wa22 occasionally but yes choice of tubes is important, and for me I find the drivers made the most difference with empy.

May 27, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #6,548 of 12,975
The Black Copper version.. silly question but I want to 100% confirm that it is anodized metal with copper color and not actual copper so I know whether to expect it to eventually turn turquoise like the Statue of Liberty when it rusts/corrodes?

:statue_of_liberty:
I asked Vlad at Meze this exact question two weeks ago :

On the copper version, is there any chance the copper on the ear grills will tarnish or become discolored over time?
"There should not be any discoloration overtime on the grill overtime, the grill is not painted, is anodized."

(Trying to decide what version to get myself)

May 27, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #6,549 of 12,975
I asked Vlad at Meze this exact question two weeks ago :

On the copper version, is there any chance the copper on the ear grills will tarnish or become discolored over time?
"There should not be any discoloration overtime on the grill overtime, the grill is not painted, is anodized."

(Trying to decide what version to get myself)

Thanks for the confirmation! I actually wont mind if it's real copper so 15-20 years from now it'll turn to full green blue color. As much as I like all black, I'm leaning towards copper since I find it more unique than the common all black headphones. Not 100% sure yet if I'll spend this amount of money for headphones though.

May 27, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #6,550 of 12,975
Thanks for the confirmation! I actually wont mind if it's real copper so 15-20 years from now it'll turn to full green blue color. As much as I like all black, I'm leaning towards copper since I find it more unique than the common all black headphones. Not 100% sure yet if I'll spend this amount of money for headphones though.
The copper version is gorgeous and more unique. It's the one I just demoed and I really like that color scheme.

May 27, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #6,551 of 12,975
...Not 100% sure yet if I'll spend this amount of money for headphones though.

From my experience, headphones and speakers make a greater improvement or impact on sound quality than other audio components. Don't hesitate to spend on a good set of headphones or speakers within your budget.

I have the Empyreans since Feb 2019 and they are very good.

May 27, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #6,553 of 12,975
Oh damn I do.
That midbass bump is something I am really looking forward to!

May 28, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #6,554 of 12,975
I am now over 100 hours on my headphones connected by the original headphone cable to a Benchmark HPA4 + DAC3B. The sound is rather good for this headphone newbie. It is actually fantastic for when I am working. These headphones will be used in my office late at night when I am working .I noticed that I am not only enjoying the music but I am also way more focused on my work compared t listening to the standmount speakers directly behind me. So all good.

I was reading posters comment on replacing the default headphone cable with after market one made of either copper or silver. What are some recommended cables for this headphone.I would not mind a bit more detail though I am waiting for 200 hours of break-in before I really critically listen.

Listening to some Sinead O'Conner on the headphones now (Night Nurse was a fun track on headphones). Wow, just an amazing experience. Still like my speakers more but these headphones are amazing.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #6,555 of 12,975
Just posted my review of the Empyrean's here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back