Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 10, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #6,136 of 12,975
the past two days, i have been using the Meze Empyrean with JPS superconductor headphone cable (using ultrashort adaptors) to the headamp GSX Mini.
the resulting sound is a bit too thick in the low end, and there is lack of clarity and air up top. feels very rolled off in the highs. mids sound a bit flat.
i do not like this combination much. feels dull and non-engaging.

my favourite combo with the Meze is still with a good silver cable to the benchmark HPA4.
Thanks for the clarification. I've heard time and time again that the Empyrean benefits from a very neutral amp as it is already a softer headphone. Sounds like the HPA4 is the best the Empyreans can get... I don't think there is anything more neutral out there. Unless someone knows of something...?

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #6,137 of 12,975
Thanks for the clarification. I've heard time and time again that the Empyrean benefits from a very neutral amp as it is already a softer headphone. Sounds like the HPA4 is the best the Empyreans can get... I don't think there is anything more neutral out there. Unless someone knows of something...?
Still wishing I’d held onto my Empyrean to try with my DSHA-3F. With the amorphous transformers I think it would be a great pairing.

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #6,138 of 12,975

i do enjoy the Empy with my WA22 and some nice tubes. i takes the lushness up a notch, and with Mullard ECC35 tubes i find that the highs remain crystal clear and airy. It also brings the presentation a bit more forward and i quite like that for the Empy. but for pure cleanliness, low end punch, and "speed", the HPA4 is still tops for me.

Mar 11, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #6,139 of 12,975
the past two days, i have been using the Meze Empyrean with JPS superconductor headphone cable (using ultrashort adaptors) to the headamp GSX Mini.
the resulting sound is a bit too thick in the low end, and there is lack of clarity and air up top. feels very rolled off in the highs. mids sound a bit flat.
i do not like this combination much. feels dull and non-engaging.

my favourite combo with the Meze is still with a good silver cable to the benchmark HPA4.
Would you consider the HPA4 a slighty brighter amp? That is the impression I got from hearing it.

Mar 11, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #6,140 of 12,975
Definitely give the RME ADI-2 a try. The Empyrean is on the warm side and the RME is transparent and neutral. It should be a good combo, plus it gives you an insane amount of EQ and other adjustment options. But note that I have not tried them together myself.

Hugo2 and Brooklyn should be good. Both dacs are transparent and fast. Although, I would prefer Chord dac over any other.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to see if I can audition all of these later on.

I'm really hoping the RME ADI-2 impresses me just because it's a fair bit cheaper than the alternatives :wink:

From what I've read, the ADI is likely going to be closer to my Micro BL and the Hugo 2 will sound quite different by comparison.

Mar 11, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #6,141 of 12,975
So I auditioned Hugo 2, Rme Adi-2 and also listened to Ifi micro bl as a comparison (already owned) with Empy.

Store floor wasn’t as noisy or busy as other times when I visited, but there was still a decent amount of noise in the background while auditioning.

My impressions where that the Hugo 2 sounded a little brighter in some tracks, but also sounded a little veiled compared to the Adi-2 and micro BL to my ears. Switching back to the Adi-2 after the hugo 2 confirmed it sounded clearer to me. I'd say the Hugo 2 was the smoother dac+amp and the others more analytical.

I could see myself enjoying the sound of both the Hugo 2 and the Adi-2, they sounded great and not really much in it to my ears. The crossover feature for the Hugo 2 is pretty neat, not sure the Adi-2 has this. Given the cost though, I’m going to go with the Adi-2.

Unfortunately no where I went had stock in store apart from demo units, so couldn’t take one home. I've found an Amazon seller though so it should arrive tomorrow.

A couple of other things I noticed about the micro BL unit in store was that it sounded a bit over excited sometimes versus the sound of the Hugo 2 and Adi-2. A bit more in your face. Which wasn’t pleasant after coming from the Hugo 2 and Adi-2. Also the volume pot was much better on the in store unit than my one at home, below 10oclock mine becomes severely channel imbalanced, the store unit could go below 9oclock just fine.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #6,142 of 12,975
So I auditioned Hugo 2, Rme Adi-2 and also listened to Ifi micro bl as a comparison (already owned) with Empy.

Store floor wasn’t as noisy or busy as other times when I visited, but there was still a decent amount of noise in the background while auditioning.

My impressions where that the Hugo 2 sounded a little brighter in some tracks, but also sounded a little veiled compared to the Adi-2 and micro BL to my ears. Switching back to the Adi-2 after the hugo 2 confirmed it sounded clearer to me. I'd say the Hugo 2 was the smoother dac+amp and the others more analytical.

I could see myself enjoying the sound of both the Hugo 2 and the Adi-2, they sounded great and not really much in it to my ears. The crossover feature for the Hugo 2 is pretty neat, not sure the Adi-2 has this. Given the cost though, I’m going to go with the Adi-2.

Unfortunately no where I went had stock in store apart from demo units, so couldn’t take one home. I've found an Amazon seller though so it should arrive tomorrow.

A couple of other things I noticed about the micro BL unit in store was that it sounded a bit over excited sometimes versus the sound of the Hugo 2 and Adi-2. A bit more in your face. Which wasn’t pleasant after coming from the Hugo 2 and Adi-2. Also the volume pot was much better on the in store unit than my one at home, below 10oclock mine becomes severely channel imbalanced, the store unit could go below 9oclock just fine.
The ADI2 has one of the best crossfeads you can get! The manual has an entire entry just on that.

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #6,143 of 12,975
The ADI2 has one of the best crossfeads you can get! The manual has an entire entry just on that.

Amazing! Really hoping I'm happy with it when it arrives.

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #6,144 of 12,975
Sounds great with the THX 789 and even better from a GSX mini, would like to hear it with the V281 or HPA-4 myself.

May I ask how the GSX-mini is better? I’ve been contemplating replacing my THX 789 with the mini for a while now.

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #6,145 of 12,975
Amazing! Really hoping I'm happy with it when it arrives.

Quoting myself here, but it arrived and I'm very happy.

Thanks everyone for the advice, for me the RME ADI-2 and Meze Empyrean sounds amazing. Feels like a decent upgrade to the Ifi Micro BL.

Now very curious to try the ADI-2 as a digital pre-amp to my speakers. Might have to get a second one though if it impresses.

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #6,146 of 12,975
Quoting myself here, but it arrived and I'm very happy.

Thanks everyone for the advice, for me the RME ADI-2 and Meze Empyrean sounds amazing. Feels like a decent upgrade to the Ifi Micro BL.

Now very curious to try the ADI-2 as a digital pre-amp to my speakers. Might have to get a second one though if it impresses.

Good to hear. I remember getting the ADI-2 and plugging in my headphones for the first time. I immediately, without any doubt, heard the improvement in sound quality. Clearer sound providing more details, punchier sound, overall better experience.

Enjoy!

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #6,148 of 12,975
So thanks to excellent Head-Fi member puppypatrol, I've joined the Empyrean club. So far-- Wow. Love at first listen. What most impresses me at the moment-- the low distortion, linearity, and sheer euphonic listenability. (Sorry for the 'L' alliteration). Marvelous.

I see you have the LCD-4 as well.
Would love to hear a little comparison if you get around to it as I'm selling the 4 to fund the Empy.
I keep reading the Empy isn't as detailed as others for its price, but it's tonality is great. Sits well with me.
Glad to hear you like them!

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #6,149 of 12,975

Thank you very much for sharing your audition experience with us, this certainly offers insight to Empyrean users (or potential users) :o2smile: who are looking for DAC/Amp options. I think you have make a very smart choice. If the ADI-2 offers similar level of performance at a lower price and you like its tonal presentation overall, you got bang for your buck. Beside, you can further upgrade your system by adding a dedicated headphone amplifier to you chain later on.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 12, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #6,150 of 12,975
So thanks to excellent Head-Fi member puppypatrol, I've joined the Empyrean club. So far-- Wow. Love at first listen. What most impresses me at the moment-- the low distortion, linearity, and sheer euphonic listenability. (Sorry for the 'L' alliteration). Marvelous.

Glad you like our Empyrean. If you like it from the first minutes, you definitely will enjoy it even more down the road.

By the way, can you tell us more about your upstream equipment so that we can benefit by your mix and match experience with Empyrean. :beerchug:

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back