Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #3,211 of 12,975
Anyone have any measurements of the alcantara pads vs leather pads? Just wondering

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #3,212 of 12,975
I only have Valhalla 2 and Liquid Platinum at my disposal right now. I am using LP(with Amperex NOS tubes) with Empyrean. What changes should I expect if I switch to SS. I have joined the drop for Massdrop THX 789 but it will only be delivered around mid May. I am using Chord Mojo as DAC and have Qutest coming my way.
I should swap to my Amperex tubes in LP before answering, but...here goes anyway.

To my ears, Empyrean is a bit 'overly lush' with LP/Siemens E88CC NOS tubes. While the BHA-1 does tilt Empy a little less warm, the change I actually care about is the way it opens up the sound. By that I mean that I hear all the parts a bit more, and the 'all blended together' effect is reduced a bit.

The best analogy I can come up with is the changes I get with Utopia going from SS to LP, in the opposite direction of course. Out of my SS amps, Utopia can seem a bit too analytical. I hear all the parts really well, but miss out on the musical gestalt. Moving Empy from tubes to SS, it's the opposite effect. With tubes, I hear the musicality really well, but miss some of the detail -- SS amp brings a little more of the 'parts' to the fore.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #3,213 of 12,975
I think that rather than using the word “spare” the E2 should be described as neutral. The Empyrean is warmer and mid-bass forward.
I get what you're saying, but to my ears it's more than just a tonality difference which is how I think of neutral vs warm.

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #3,214 of 12,975
Just a quick few thoughts and personal opinion on Empyrean vs D8000 as I have them both for a few day sessions right now for A/B running from Tidal/Roon/Hugo 2/stock cables with different kind of genres pop/electronic/metal/rock/classical. I own Empyrean and prefer suede pads. Both are great and really tough call if I had to choose one, but here is how I would compare a few characteristics of both:
- tonality: Empyrean = organic/balanced, D8000 - neutral/V shaped
- resolution: Empyrean > D8000
- clarity: D8000 > Empyrean
- soundstage size: Empyrean > D8000
- note thickness: Empyrean > D8000
- bass: D8000 > Empyrean
- mids: Empyrean > D8000
- treble: Empyrean > D8000
- musicality: Empyrean > D8000

Tried to be as much objective as I could and for sure I would go for D8000 if these stroke me as the ones, but after the comparison I am happily staying with Meze.

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #3,215 of 12,975
Just a quick few thoughts and personal opinion on Empyrean vs D8000 as I have them both for a few day sessions right now for A/B running from Tidal/Roon/Hugo 2/stock cables with different kind of genres pop/electronic/metal/rock/classical. I own Empyrean and prefer suede pads. Both are great and really tough call if I had to choose one, but here is how I would compare a few characteristics of both:
- tonality: Empyrean = organic/balanced, D8000 - neutral/V shaped
- resolution: Empyrean > D8000
- clarity: D8000 > Empyrean
- soundstage size: Empyrean > D8000
- note thickness: Empyrean > D8000
- bass: D8000 > Empyrean
- mids: Empyrean > D8000
- treble: Empyrean > D8000
- musicality: Empyrean > D8000

Tried to be as much objective as I could and for sure I would go for D8000 if these stroke me as the ones, but after the comparison I am happily staying with Meze.

wow nice to see a comparison between D8000 and Empyrean. I wish I could do it with my home setup. Your impression is in line with that of FR chart of both the headphones as well. Good to know that you like musicality of Empyrean more then that of D8000. Read somewhere that Empyrean is more balanced across FR however D8000 has more Bass energy and then again high amplitude around 8K onwards. So this contrast gives more musicality. I have to experience the headphone to see it. However I would personally go with more balanced FR curve. Somehow I am more prone or dislike higher amplitude in Mid and upper treble. That's the only reason I got Empyrean to go with my HD800s.

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #3,216 of 12,975
Good to know that you like musicality of Empyrean more then that of D8000. Read somewhere that Empyrean is more balanced across FR however D8000 has more Bass energy and then again high amplitude around 8K onwards. So this contrast gives more musicality.

I think musicality is a subjective term, so can't be strictly translated into FR and also my observation is that generally V shaped sound is regarded as more musical, but I feel differently in case of Empyrean.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #3,217 of 12,975
Mar 26, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #3,218 of 12,975
Thought I’d share this with you guys.
Just conducted a blind test with the Mrs using the LCD4Z, Empyrean and the Oppo PM-1. She has no idea on how much they cost (which is just how I like it lol)
I used about a dozen songs each for approx 2-3 mins so around half an hours listening time.
She ranked the 4Z first for every song based on sound, although she did think they were on the heavy side.
She ranked the Oppo PM-1 2nd on every song except one which was Bruce Springsteen’s Philadelphia where she ranked it third. After she gave me her feedback. I asked her which headphone she would choose if she could only have one. She said it was a really tough choice as they all sounded great but for her it would have to be the Oppo PM-1. She said it sounded great, although not as good as the 4Z but it was like putting a pair of slippers it was so comfortable. I then proceeded to tell her the MRSP of each headphone (crazy fool) She said she wasn’t surprised that the 4Z was the most expensive but was blown away by the value of the PM-1.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #3,219 of 12,975
I agree with those stating that the velour pads are warmer and bassier. The leather pads are much more neutral.

So weird. I hear exactly the reverse. To my ears, leather pads on the Empyrean result is a more boisterous/party-like sound, with somewhat elevated bass (basshead level, for real) and an audible peak in the treble. With velour pads, the whole frequency ranges sounds flatter & more focused.

The Empyrean will never be one of those dead-flat, accuracy-first, forensic headphones. But the velours take it closer to neutral than the leathers.

Having said that, I like both pads and find each set uniquely suitable for some (tho not all) genres I listen to.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #3,220 of 12,975
Thought I’d share this with you guys.
Just conducted a blind test with the Mrs using the LCD4Z, Empyrean and the Oppo PM-1. She has no idea on how much they cost (which is just how I like it lol)
I used about a dozen songs each for approx 2-3 mins so around half an hours listening time.
She ranked the 4Z first for every song based on sound, although she did think they were on the heavy side.
She ranked the Oppo PM-1 2nd on every song except one which was Bruce Springsteen’s Philadelphia where she ranked it third. After she gave me her feedback. I asked her which headphone she would choose if she could only have one. She said it was a really tough choice as they all sounded great but for her it would have to be the Oppo PM-1. She said it sounded great, although not as good as the 4Z but it was like putting a pair of slippers it was so comfortable. I then proceeded to tell her the MRSP of each headphone (crazy fool) She said she wasn’t surprised that the 4Z was the most expensive but was blown away by the value of the PM-1.

Dude, you need to get your wife posting on Head-Fi!!

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #3,221 of 12,975
Mar 26, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #3,222 of 12,975
I can't believe he told her the prices :)

I know, sacrilege!!! Reminds me of the very old joke (since I’m an old guy), telling his audiophile friends, “if I die, please don’t let my wife sell my gear at the prices I told her I paid for them (sic, heavily paraphrased).”

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #3,223 of 12,975
I never thought I’d say this, but my Blackwood Autuers aren’t getting any head time now that I have the Vérité. If anyone is interested in trading an Emperyian or Ether 2 for/toward (on m side), please pm me.

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #3,224 of 12,975
So weird. I hear exactly the reverse. To my ears, leather pads on the Empyrean result is a more boisterous/party-like sound, with somewhat elevated bass (basshead level, for real) and an audible peak in the treble. With velour pads, the whole frequency ranges sounds flatter & more focused.

The Empyrean will never be one of those dead-flat, accuracy-first, forensic headphones. But the velours take it closer to neutral than the leathers.

Having said that, I like both pads and find each set uniquely suitable for some (tho not all) genres I listen to.

I’m right there with you. My wife as well agrees. We both instantly noticed a significantly more neutral signature with alcantara pads. And the leather ones bump the bass, bit of mid forward and highs noticeably. If I recall something around 20-200hz a slight boost, 2k-3K boost and only the sparkly top end around 10k is very noticeable for us both. But so great for some EDM aka party time music. Otherwise I’m loving the alcantara for most of my music.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #3,225 of 12,975
It works very well with the Empyrean and Hugo 2.
Some people report Empyrean (and other headphones e.g. Clear) boring with Chord DAC amps. Did you compare H2 to H2 + external hp amp?

I'll third this too. In my words, they have a warm and engaging signature (especially if you love bass, as they go down very low) but at the same time are capable of rending a great deal of detail, down to ultra-micro detail, such as the subtleties of something like the sound of a hand clap. They will throw out thundering bass all the while maintaining that precision, which is what I find totally remarkable.
It seems the Vérité goes significantly deeper on bass than the Empyrean providing an even more thundering bass. But the comfort and the Beryllium thing is holding me off the Vérité.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back