Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 7, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #2,986 of 12,975
I just received the Empyrean in for review. I couldn't make out much at the Tokyo show last year, so I'm happy to be able to listen to them in my own environment.
They are pretty soft-sounding with the stock cable, so I switched in an ALO Audeze cable I had on hand which has livened things up a bit.
What is most interesting is that they are the first pair of headphones I've had (from memory) that I can turn the volume up and they maintain complete competence. Everything else I've owned or had here seemed to just become shouty and irritating.
It has been rather like going from a regular DAC to a Chord DAC, with a similar What factor of instruments coming exactly as they are, from their exact position in the stereo space, down to the individual notes, regardless of what else is going on.

You should try Sundara driven from Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ at almost maximum volume it can push, also able to maintain competence at the maximum volume :)

Also, I agree with you. When Brother @dusty.ro shared his pair with me for some tests, I also turned up Empy like, almost the max I could accept, and they kept their cool really nicely. I love that :)

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #2,987 of 12,975
They are remarkable headphones, my other cans don’t see much use anymore

I've just been listening between them and the Utopias, which I had become somewhat bored with (I now have speakers). They are showing some freakish competence. A lot of "How the heck do you make headphones do bass like that?". I also just saw the measurements (I only look at them after listening first), which goes some way to answering the question.

I'm starting to think that they are the R10 successor many people have been waiting for. They have many of the qualities people liked about the R10s, going by my old memories of them.

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #2,988 of 12,975
I've just been listening between them and the Utopias, which I had become somewhat bored with (I now have speakers). They are showing some freakish competence. A lot of "How the heck do you make headphones do bass like that?". I also just saw the measurements (I only look at them after listening first), which goes some way to answering the question.

I'm starting to think that they are the R10 successor many people have been waiting for. They have many of the qualities people liked about the R10s, going by my old memories of them.
I can see that, never really thought about that...

When’s the review coming? Don’t hold out on us hah

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #2,989 of 12,975
When’s the review coming? Don’t hold out on us hah

It depends on how many other pairs of headphones I decide to compare them with, for the most part. I'll probably do a split review like I did with the Solaris.

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,990 of 12,975
It depends on how many other pairs of headphones I decide to compare them with, for the most part. I'll probably do a split review like I did with the Solaris.

That would be good, I’d like to hear your impressions versus LCD 4 and Ether Flow 2 and ZMF Verite

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #2,991 of 12,975

I'd like to know more about your comparison to the Utopia (which I personally NEVER will be bored with, haha!) and the Sony Z1R. Hope these two find their way as benchmarks into your review of the Empyrean. Good luck, these reviews are an awful lot of work.

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #2,992 of 12,975
Now I just can’t wait to hear the empyreans on the WA33, it can’t get here fast enough!!

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #2,993 of 12,975
I've heard the Empyrean on a nearly-new WA22 w/all NOS tube set.* They're both still burning in, too early to make conclusions, blah-blah. Of course peeked in once or twice & got rewarded w/some of the best sound I've ever heard (any system).

Midrange is rich & palpable, the best mids I've ever heard--this from a headphone occasionally criticized for being "fun," slightly V-shaped, etc (WRONG). No way to tell how much of it is the amp vs how much is the HP until I start using other amps.

From the 1st Empyrean I heard at CanJam last year & all the ones since--this headphone is a real thrill-ride. It has a lot of moves, and it's going to take awhile IMS to figure out what I'm hearing.

*which is unleashing the full force of my audio OCD, obsessing over this rectifier, that matched set of driver tubes. I was already on the edge; now I'm going over.

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #2,994 of 12,975

Hi Amos

Did you get “somewhat bored” with the utopia like you might with most headphones or was it somewhat different due to the nature of the utopias?

And from yiur hekv2 review did you end up keeping a pair of them or trying out the newer hekse? Keen to hear your impressions there (the hekse) particularly relative to the utopia and empyrean

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #2,995 of 12,975
Can't wait to hear you thoughts Amos. I am curious about the Empyrean compared to the LCD 4 and LCD 4Z. I will get a chance to compare them side by side at a meet this month out of the Dave and Blu mk2.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #2,996 of 12,975
I'm interested to hear your impressions vs the Susvara!

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #2,997 of 12,975
I'm interested to hear your impressions vs the Susvara!
The susvara is very difficult to drive properly and the empyrean is incredibly easy to drive. If comparing the two it’s very important that a very capable amp is used so that it even gives the susvara a chance. I personally believe there are just a couple good amps that can do it justice.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #2,998 of 12,975
The susvara is very difficult to drive properly and the empyrean is incredibly easy to drive. If comparing the two it’s very important that a very capable amp is used so that it even gives the susvara a chance. I personally believe there are just a couple good amps that can do it justice.
so in a way you compared both....
one can sound good with any amp and the other needs investment in specific amp after dropping $6K

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #2,999 of 12,975
well I can understand the R&D went for Empyrean. Be its headband design, CNC milling of the cups and the innovation in the driver to warrant price of $3K. Just look at the ease and the innovative way to put on the ear pads and to use the ear pads attachment as a way to refine the sound is just too good.
Have to look into susvara specs and engineering to understand if it can warrant such a high price. I mean its 2x the price of Empyrean.
No comment on the capabilities of it. May be sounds out of word but really 6K???

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #3,000 of 12,975
This comment will probably be unfair, but here it is: I heard the Susvara twice at CanJam NYC. Both times (different rooms/different amps & DACs) I found it to sound very bright, tipped up, and non-musical. I could have listened a lot longer than I did, but the sound was actually aversive to my ears...off-putting, so both times, I took them off my head pretty quickly.

I've been averse to peaky/trebly audio for a long time. It was one of my first realizations in transitioning from mass market speakers & receivers to audiophile gear: I just couldn't handle speakers or anything equipment that promoted detail & "accuracy" over the natural weight in lower registers and nice sparkle (but not brightness) I heard IRL musical events.

The Empyrean instantly worked for me (it was love at first listen), while the Susvara most definitely did not. BTW, I have nothing against Hifiman. In fact, the HEX v2 is one of my favorite headphones ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back