Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #2,611 of 12,975
I don't mind telling people what my expensive stuff costs if I know they can afford it. Sometimes that leads to an interesting discussion. But I don't like telling them if I know they can't afford it, but that likely makes a lot of people feel worse about their financial situation.

There's a threshold aspect to this too. If someone can afford to buy just about all of the things they really want, the fact that some people are much richer than them may not really bother them. I put myself in this category - I'm glad that I can buy whatever headphones I want, but I don't feel deprived that I shouldn't really be shopping for private jets and sizable yachts. With the right perspective and discipline, there can be a point where you feel you have enough, and don't need to keep wanting more.

All of this said, I predict that I'll wind up buying the Empyrean at some point, based on the reviews so far and how much I like the 99 Classics. I guess I do have some degree of addiction ...

Addiction is part of human nature for better or worse. My addiction to organisation and cleanliness can be considered both a good and bad thing depending on your perspective lol...

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #2,612 of 12,975
I don't mind telling people what my expensive stuff costs if I know they can afford it. Sometimes that leads to an interesting discussion. But I don't like telling them if I know they can't afford it, but that likely makes a lot of people feel worse about their financial situation.

Totally agree... this specific friend would not be able to afford it so I didn't want to go down that path. Another friend has a Panerai Luminor that nearly costs the same as my entire setup, I always tease him that my Seiko tells time just the same and he teases me that his AirPods play music just the same... go figure, it's interesting where people find joy and value in spending their money.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #2,613 of 12,975
Totally agree... this specific friend would not be able to afford it so I didn't want to go down that path. Another friend has a Panerai Luminor that nearly costs the same as my entire setup, I always tease him that my Seiko tells time just the same and he teases me that his AirPods play music just the same... go figure, it's interesting where people find joy and value in spending their money.

but he’s wrong. one watch does not tell the time better than the other!

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #2,614 of 12,975
Please don't mention watches, especially not Panerai! That's another obsession, right up there w/the Empyrean.

You think headphone prices are bad? Try big-name Swiss or Italian watches...

("if you have to ask, you can't afford it")

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #2,616 of 12,975
3 Empyreans in the used section....

I'm not surprised. The Empyrean is for sure a great headphone but doesn't fit all of us. If you like headphones with a little bit more energy in the mids or upper frequencies, the Empyrean should not be your first choice.
Means if you are a Stax (except 007) or HD800(S) lover, keep your fingers away from Empyrean :wink:. Except you are looking for a headphone with a completely different tonal tuning.

That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #2,617 of 12,975
A non-audiophile friend of mine listened to my DAVE w/ Utopia and his reaction was wow that sounds amazing, what'd it cost like $500?

same way i feel when friends of mine try to impress me with wine costing hundreds of dollars or insanely expensive pocketbooks for woman or shoes etc....different strokes

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #2,621 of 12,975
I'm not surprised. The Empyrean is for sure a great headphone but doesn't fit all of us. If you like headphones with a little bit more energy in the mids or upper frequencies, the Empyrean should not be your first choice.
Means if you are a Stax (except 007) or HD800(S) lover, keep your fingers away from Empyrean :wink:. Except you are looking for a headphone with a completely different tonal tuning.

That's just my opinion.
I agree with you. I like energetic sound. So, i opted for audio technica adx5000.
Empyrean is not my cup of tea, but its an excellent headphone right from the built to SQ.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #2,622 of 12,975
I still say something is off. It looks like all of these headphones for sale don’t have more than 10 hours on them. One says 2 1/2 hours I think.

Heck, 10 hours doesn’t even get your past the glow of a purchase which overshadows how something actually sounds and you like it regardless.

It’s kind of like going out with pretty girl and you really like her at first because she looks so hot, and when that wears off you realize later she’s crazy.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,623 of 12,975
there is no perfect HP....period...people read reviews or raves and expect when they receive the product that it will completely redefine the world of music reproduction and they are sadly disappointed that it may or may not be a marginal incremental improvement and thus they are disappointed...that is life

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #2,624 of 12,975
I agree with you. I like energetic sound. So, i opted for audio technica adx5000.
Empyrean is not my cup of tea, but its an excellent headphone right from the built to SQ.

The Audio Technica is so underrated. It sounds so damn good connected balanced on my tube amp. I had one for about 3 days and I was really impressed. For me the best dynamic headphone.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,625 of 12,975
This thread has derailed like no other. But that’s ok, some of it’s relevant and a good conversation to have. :) thanks to those who have kept the conversation on track and about the Empyrean. I love reading comments about it’s sound profile and even comparisons... but wish people could include their full setup... amp and dac used is important! It’s greaf to read what people think about the build quality or aftermarket cables too! all quite useful information and on target to the point of this thread.

And yes, it’s an expensive pair of headphones and simply cannot be for everyone. It’s not a hunk of plastic and cheap parts. To those who are passionate about finer things in life and can afford it. It’s worth consideration and one should carefully decide if it’s truly within one’s budget. All headphones end up for sale on the used market. Often from those who buy on a whim with a credit card and have ultimate buyers remorse or their wife slaps them silly to sober them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back