Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 4, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #1,576 of 12,975
It's all in my signature.
Discounting IEMs I currently own Aeon Flow Closed, Hifiman Edition X v2, Sennheiser HD600 and NAD Viso HP50
I know they are not Soundstage Kings like HD800/S though

It may not rival the HD800 (that's an awfully high bar), but IMO the HEX v2 has a striking soundstage...great width + all around the head. Certain transients, especially percussion, are very distinct in space w/this headphone.

I recall the Empyrean having very good soundstage, too--though I was so wowed by its design beauty & overall sonic profile that soundstage was not uppermost in my mind.

I tend to pay less attention to soundstage than tonality/timbre & dynamics. But whenever it's well above average, I reap the benefit.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,577 of 12,975
My replacement pair arrived just now, unfortunately the purchased balanced cable wasn't in the parcel even though that was promised.
But again, I've got a little mark on one of the cups:

I double checked by gently cleaning it with the cloth I clean my glasses with, but it's definitely a mark.
Are my expectations too high? Or is this something I should accept on a pair of headphones of $3000?

Edit: the mark is like a little paint chip

For this price, your expectations should be very high. If I were you, I'd want a 3rd pair--one that's perfect.

I think many if not most of us here are impressed as hell by this headphone on multiple levels. I was also impressed by Antonio when I met him at Canjam. His company & this design are very exciting; I want them to succeed 100%.

However, QC/customer support is a "blood sport" -- as in, get it right or go home. That's true of any $300 headphone, and it's even more true for one that costs $3000.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,578 of 12,975
This is a comment I've been waiting for. I know how good the Empyrean sounds, but never tried low-level listening (something I do often in home office). That's important to me.

Someone commented on what "Low level listening" means. It's somewhat subjective (also dependent on individual's ears and how hot a particular recording is) . With the Mytek Brooklyn DAC/amp I often listen between - 40 and - 50 db w/ very satisfying sound.

I am very curious as to how the Empyean would sound w/ the new Benchmark HPA 4.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,579 of 12,975
For this price, your expectations should be very high. If I were you, I'd want a 3rd pair--one that's perfect.

I think many if not most of us here are impressed as hell by this headphone on multiple levels. I was also impressed by Antonio when I met him at Canjam. His company & this design are very exciting; I want them to succeed 100%.

However, QC/customer support is a "blood sport" -- as in, get it right or go home. That's true of any $300 headphone, and it's even more true for one that costs $3000.
I just got a call from Mircea from Meze Audio. He explained the process of making the frame. It was quite technical and I did understand it on the phone, but not enough to summarise it here. He had a logical explanation for the 'marks', but agreed with me that it should be perfect. Therefore he'll double check the next pair himself, make sure it's perfect and then he'll send it to me tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,580 of 12,975
I just got a call from Mircea from Meze Audio. He explained the process of making the frame. It was quite technical and I did understand it on the phone, but not enough to summarise it here. He had a logical explanation for the 'marks', but agreed with me that it should be perfect. Therefore he'll double check the next pair himself, make sure it's perfect and then he'll send it to me tomorrow.

I like the sound of that response. It's timely & positive. I know you've had 2 flawed headphones here, which obviously concerns. But hopefully you're about to have a satisfactory outcome.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,581 of 12,975
Mircea Is a nice guy. I talked to him at CanJam London both in Romanian and English. He is very passionate about what they are doing. Meze Audio really stands behind their products.

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #1,583 of 12,975
Ill take a dented one for $1,000 usd less.

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,584 of 12,975
Has there been any comparative reviews of Empyrean?

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,585 of 12,975
My replacement pair arrived just now, unfortunately the purchased balanced cable wasn't in the parcel even though that was promised.
But again, I've got a little mark on one of the cups:

I double checked by gently cleaning it with the cloth I clean my glasses with, but it's definitely a mark.
Are my expectations too high? Or is this something I should accept on a pair of headphones of $3000?

Edit: the mark is like a little paint chip
That microscopic mark? Common, man. lol

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #1,587 of 12,975
To me $3000 is a lot of money and I expect an immaculate pair of headphones with that price tag.
But feel free to contact Meze, if you'd like to buy one of the two I received. :)
I wonder if they offer a nice discount lol

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,590 of 12,975
Come on Pete, 2600 quid on headphones, I want them perfect or they going back
The 2nd pair I wouldn't even notice something that small, but I do understand the frustration, trust me I do. I like perfection myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back