Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #1,561 of 12,975
Can someone compare the DAVE (+) (-) HUGO Mscaler directly driving the Empyrean to the Hifiman HE 1000se, build quality aside? And then to the Abyss and Stax 009 (with Carbon)?
He he, do you think this is a sound test center? :)
Not many have all that gear.
The buld quality on Empyrean is the best.

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,562 of 12,975
The buld quality on Empyrean is the best.[/QUOTE]

I agree :)
Empyrean 3 (FILEminimizer).jpg
Empyrean 4 (FILEminimizer).jpg
Empyrean 6 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Do not be too envious of me...

My wife left for a 4 days business trip abroad....
Because of a virus infection my dermatologist ordered me to bed for three days....(do not touch my post otherwise you will be infected :gs1000smile:)
The Hungarian Meze distributor gave me a Meze Empyrean for a week evaluation to make a review on my local blog...

So I am laying in bed and listening to music all day ...

I do hope there are here other music lovers like me who cannot afford to spend so much for headphones gear (no Abyss, No Dave).
I am not a member of the High Society of Headphoners, but enjoying music from the bottom of my heart.
This morning I was listening the Empyrean from an Astell & Kern Kann - Vorzüge VorzAMP Pure II+ combo and enjoyed every minute.
Later I moved to the following system:
Bluesound Node 2 fed by an Audioquest Carbon CAT7 cable, connected to an Arcam rHead amp with Nordost Heimdall cables.
These all together costed a fraction of the price of a Dave.
The sound quality on this system was considerably better than on the mobile combo...

For those who do not want to buy a Meze Empyrean, because they think, getting one will completely ruin their financial position, because it needs very expensive gear to make it enjoyable I have a message:
NO!!!!
You can enjoy the Emperyan even if you cannot afford even a Chord Hugo 2!!!
I will definitely write a Meze Empyrean review, but just now my main words describing this brilliant headphones:

Effortless,
Musical,
Very comfortable,
Easy to listen,
Beautiful.

As said earlier I recently checked Sennheiser HD820, Ether 2, Flow, but non of them can compete with the prodigious Empyrean.

Attachments

• Empyrean on head.jpg
    Empyrean on head.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181202_160425 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    IMG_20181202_160425 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181203_193421 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    IMG_20181203_193421 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #1,564 of 12,975
It's all in my signature.
Discounting IEMs I currently own Aeon Flow Closed, Hifiman Edition X v2, Sennheiser HD600 and NAD Viso HP50
I know they are not Soundstage Kings like HD800/S though

Actually, the Edition X V2 has a pretty large soundstage. I used to own those and they’re great sounding headphones. If the Empyrean soundstage is equal or greater than those, I’m going to be very happy. Thanks for that!

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #1,565 of 12,975
My replacement pair arrived just now, unfortunately the purchased balanced cable wasn't in the parcel even though that was promised.
But again, I've got a little mark on one of the cups:

IMG_7426.jpg

I double checked by gently cleaning it with the cloth I clean my glasses with, but it's definitely a mark.
Are my expectations too high? Or is this something I should accept on a pair of headphones of $3000?

Edit: the mark is like a little paint chip

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #1,566 of 12,975
My replacement pair arrived just now, unfortunately the purchased balanced cable wasn't in the parcel even though that was promised.
But again, I've got a little mark on one of the cups:

I double checked by gently cleaning it with the cloth I clean my glasses with, but it's definitely a mark.
Are my expectations too high? Or is this something I should accept on a pair of headphones of $3000?
Anybody else has these marks ?

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #1,567 of 12,975
The buld quality on Empyrean is the best.

Because of a virus infection my dermatologist ordered me to bed for three days....(do not touch my post otherwise you will be infected :gs1000smile:)
The Hungarian Meze distributor gave me a Meze Empyrean for a week evaluation to make a review on my local blog...

I do hope there are here other music lovers like me who cannot afford to spend so much for headphones gear (no Abyss, No Dave).
I am not a member of the High Society of Headphoners, but enjoying music from the bottom of my heart.
This morning I was listening the Empyrean from an Astell & Kern Kann - Vorzüge VorzAMP Pure II+ combo and enjoyed every minute.
Bluesound Node 2 fed by an Audioquest Carbon CAT7 cable, connected to an Arcam rHead amp with Nordost Heimdall cables.
The sound quality on this system was considerably better than on the mobile combo...

For those who do not want to buy a Meze Empyrean, because they think, getting one will completely ruin their financial position, because it needs very expensive gear to make it enjoyable I have a message:
NO!!!!
I will definitely write a Meze Empyrean review, but just now my main words describing this brilliant headphones:

Effortless,
Musical,
Very comfortable,
Easy to listen,
Beautiful.

As said earlier I recently checked Sennheiser HD820, Ether 2, Flow, but non of them can compete with the prodigious Empyrean.[/QUOTE]
Interesting design. With the pads removed there is a plastic grill over the drivers. Why doesn’t that grill impede some of the sound?

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #1,568 of 12,975

NO!!!!

Effortless,
Musical,
Very comfortable,
Easy to listen,
Beautiful.

As said earlier I recently checked Sennheiser HD820, Ether 2, Flow, but non of them can compete with the prodigious Empyrean.
Interesting design. With the pads removed there is a plastic grill over the drivers. Why doesn’t that grill impede some of the sound?[/QUOTE]

It probably actually helps channel the sound like the Audeze Fazor system and Ether Flow system.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #1,569 of 12,975
Definitely the Empyrean will benefit from burn in time. Not that I am saying to do that, just enjoy the music and you may hear or not changes later on.
This headphone is really musical and effortless out of the box. And the comfort is fantastic. Looking forward to try with other gear soon , maybe TT2, Dave again and LPGT if I can find one :)
MrSpeakers makes great headphone, but Meze has created something really special here.
Still waiting for my A16 to arrive, surely that will be a great combo, apart from listening to music I like watching movies and the sound and comfort of this headphone is just perfect.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #1,570 of 12,975
Definitely the Empyrean will benefit from burn in time. Not that I am saying to do that, just enjoy the music and you may hear or not changes later on.
This headphone is really musical and effortless out of the box. And the comfort is fantastic. Looking forward to try with other gear soon , maybe TT2, Dave again and LPGT if I can find one :)
MrSpeakers makes great headphone, but Meze has created something really special here.
Still waiting for my A16 to arrive, surely that will be a great combo, apart from listening to music I like watching movies and the sound and comfort of this headphone is just perfect.
Do you have any marks or paint chips on yours?

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #1,573 of 12,975
I've really enjoyed the Empyean for low level listening - Excellent stage, detail and dynamics at low volumes

This is a comment I've been waiting for. I know how good the Empyrean sounds, but never tried low-level listening (something I do often in home office). That's important to me.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #1,575 of 12,975
It would be nice if Antonio can give us some feed back on the quality issues, delivery damage is understandable but if it's got passed quality control like that someone isn't doing there job properly

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back