Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 30, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,426 of 12,975
I bought the latest issue of HiFiNews for $5 through the iOS app. Excellent review of the Empyrean! Highly recommend checking it out if you are interested in these cans. There are some nice FR charts which corroborate Jude's measurements. These cans have exemplary frequency response. My brief listening session certainly backs that up :)

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #1,427 of 12,975
I bought the latest issue of HiFiNews for $5 through the iOS app. Excellent review of the Empyrean! Highly recommend checking it out if you are interested in these cans. There are some nice FR charts which corroborate Jude's measurements. These cans have exemplary frequency response. My brief listening session certainly backs that up :)
You joined in 2004 ? They had the internet back then let alone any real portable gear? I found HF in 2007.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,428 of 12,975

Being a happy Utopia owner (who's also interested in the Empyrean), your positive impression made it very hard for me to resist buying.

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,429 of 12,975
You joined in 2004 ? They had the internet back then let alone any real portable gear? I found HF in 2007.

I became an obsessive audiophile (big 2-channel living room system) in the mid-'80's. I started subscriptions to STEREOPHILE & THE ABSOLUTE SOUND ~'85. While flying to Italy in 1985, I changed planes in Heathrow in the middle of the night. Walked over to a newstand and, using extremely unfamiliar/strange money (pence! quid!) I purchased a copy of HiFi News. It was impressive, a clearly evolved audio publication. Forgot that until this thread reminded me...

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #1,430 of 12,975
I only wore them for about 30-40 mins, comfort is great, and I used the alcantara pads as I found them better sounding. I’d also say they’re more comfortable for long term use compared to leather, but that’s only based on my 30-40 mins with them.

I own the Clear and HEKse just upgraded, I think the HEK is the most comfortable headphone out there and the cup is so large it breathes nicely. The Clears do get warm but it never bothers me, but it’s not as comfy and the Meze or HiFiman. Those headphones kind of just float, and have very low clamping force which is what really causes the Focal headphones to get warm after long usage.
Thank you for these comments.
Yes, from what I have been reading, the HE1000SE are my current alternative to the Empyrean.
I was 99% on the Empyrean already. Now I am only 95%, after you mentioned the HE1000SE may breathe the ears better due to larger earcups. Long time use is very important to me, as I have this ear heating problem.
However one factor difficult to ignore is that the Empyrean are the best looking headphones ever made, and the HE1000 (and other similar HIFIMAN) are the worst looking headphones ever made :)
Also maybe Meze cold offer in the future a set of pads more open, that would allow air flow, although sacrificing sound naturally. But with the excellent magnetic pad switching, it would be very easy to switch as required. The pads would be an extra accessory with extra cost, naturally.
Thank you again for the comments.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #1,431 of 12,975
That same thing happened to me a few years ago with some gear worth 20K that I had sent to repair, Needless to say I got in shock when checking the tracking site, I saw it had been received and signed by someone I did not know.
After stressing some hours on the post office, It turned out that it had been delivered to a neighbor company by mistake, and they hadn't even opened it or checked it was not for them.
So, I think Meze can't do anything about it. It must be you to solve it with the UPS and maybe inquire some neighbors. And do it fast. The headphones are maybe just a few meters
away from your house. Meze, in another country, can't do anything.

I have just called UPS. The UPS agent told me that I should call the SHIPPER. They will work with the shipper with whom they do the business. The UPS agent said that that is the final answer.
Well, I will be cheering for you then.
Only the door delivery man knows where he dropped the packet. That is how I found my packet. In the post office they phoned to the delivery man who then explained he left it on the next door by mistake. The person who received it was not in position to know if that package was expected by someone else in that number, so just accepted it. That is probably what happened now.
Then it was me (not the carrier) that went to get the packet from my neighbor.
The contact to the door delivery man by UPS in Romania is not as easy and direct as the contact from UPS in your country. Still possible I guess, not directly.
Hope it ends well, and soon.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,432 of 12,975
Yes, from what I have been reading, the HE1000SE are my current alternative to the Empyrean.
I was 99% on the Empyrean already. Now I am only 95%, after you mentioned the HE1000SE may breathe the ears better due to larger earcups. Long time use is very important to me, as I have this ear heating problem.
However one factor difficult to ignore is that the Empyrean are the best looking headphones ever made, and the HE1000 (and other similar HIFIMAN) are the worst looking headphones ever made :)
Also maybe Meze cold offer in the future a set of pads more open, that would allow air flow, although sacrificing sound naturally. But with the excellent magnetic pad switching, it would be very easy to switch as required. The pads would be an extra accessory with extra cost, naturally.

I'm a recent convert to Hifiman (via a perfect condition HEX v2, which I love). I admire the looks, the sound, and the comfort. I also was wowwed by the Empyrean at Canjam--looks, comfort & sound beyond anything I'd experienced.

The HEK variants have very large earcups--but the resulting comfort sometimes comes at the cost of reduced seal w/the head/face (it's an open-back, but seal still matters). The HFM earcups are sufficiently long that the bottom "point" of the oblong earcup may rest against the upper part/side of the neck, which in many "thins out" below the head (because the neck is usually less diameter than the head). I find myself adjusting my HEX v2 earcups upward to get the bottom of the earcups resting against my skull again, not my neck.

I didn't spend nearly as much time w/the Empyrean as I have w/the HEX v2. What I remember of its fit was that those big earcups (not quite as long as HFM's, but still spacious) & deep leather pads were ultra-comfortable--with perfect seal.

And re this ("Also maybe Meze cold offer in the future a set of pads more open, that would allow air flow, although sacrificing sound naturally. But with the excellent magnetic pad switching, it would be very easy to switch as required.") -- early reviews I've seen refer to a 2nd pair of earpads shipped w/every Empyrean. These are made of alacantara (a kind of upscale velour), which should allow more airflow & greater comfort than leather. Many seem to prefer the Empyrean's sound with these pads.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,433 of 12,975

So....does anyone consider the looks when the headphones are actually worn? perhaps not because most will probably use it indoors in their home?

I agree with most of you, I think the Empyrean and HD 820 are the 2 best looking headphones on the market...standalone aka not worn on a head.

BUT

I'm not going to lie, personally I feel the Empyrean looks really dorky and unaestheticly pleasing when it's actually worn on a head because of how the headband setup is. The reviewer of Headfonia seems to agree too:
https://www.headfonia.com/review-meze-audio-empyrean/

(I think Meze's marketing team knows this which is why you never see it on someone's head in the official photos. Then take the Abyss Diana for example...it looks great on someone's head...and they know, almost every official photo it's being worn on a head).

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #1,434 of 12,975
I'm a recent convert to Hifiman (via a perfect condition HEX v2, which I love). I admire the looks, the sound, and the comfort. I also was wowwed by the Empyrean at Canjam--looks, comfort & sound beyond anything I'd experienced.

The HEK variants have very large earcups--but the resulting comfort sometimes comes at the cost of reduced seal w/the head/face (it's an open-back, but seal still matters). The HFM earcups are sufficiently long that the bottom "point" of the oblong earcup may rest against the upper part/side of the neck, which in many "thins out" below the head (because the neck is usually less diameter than the head). I find myself adjusting my HEX v2 earcups upward to get the bottom of the earcups resting against my skull again, not my neck.

I didn't spend nearly as much time w/the Empyrean as I have w/the HEX v2. What I remember of its fit was that those big earcups (not quite as long as HFM's, but still spacious) & deep leather pads were ultra-comfortable--with perfect seal.

And re this ("Also maybe Meze cold offer in the future a set of pads more open, that would allow air flow, although sacrificing sound naturally. But with the excellent magnetic pad switching, it would be very easy to switch as required.") -- early reviews I've seen refer to a 2nd pair of earpads shipped w/every Empyrean. These are made of alacantara (a kind of upscale velour), which should allow more airflow & greater comfort than leather. Many seem to prefer the Empyrean's sound with these pads.
The HFM defect of not sealing properly due to too large earcups, and requiring frequent adaptation to the head, may not be too bad for me, as it could allow to select between good seal and bad seal for more air breathe, as required :)
Yes, I am aware of the alcantara pads. On headfonia.com review, they also prefer the Alcantara pads for providing warmer sound and better bass. I will probably go with the alcantara as well, even though it does not work too well for me with the Clear temperature wise, even perforated. To be be honest the best material for me is not alcantara or leather.. It is cheap fabric, as used for example in the Sony SA1000. Very comfortable and durable. The velour pads on the Sony F1 worn out and had to be replaced, but the SA1000 are like new after thousands of hours of use, and are extremely comfortable. The bass is non-existent on the SA1000 however.

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,435 of 12,975
So....does anyone consider the looks when the headphones are actually worn? perhaps not because most will probably use it indoors in their home?

I agree with most of you, I think the Empyrean and HD 820 are the 2 best looking headphones on the market...standalone aka not worn on a head.

BUT

I'm not going to lie, personally I feel the Empyrean looks really dorky and unaestheticly pleasing when it's actually worn on a head because of how the headband setup is. The reviewer of Headfonia seems to agree too:
https://www.headfonia.com/review-meze-audio-empyrean/

(I think Meze's marketing team knows this which is why you never see it on someone's head in the official photos. Then take the Abyss Diana for example...it looks great on someone's head...and they know, almost every official photo it's being worn on a head).
You are probably very right about that and the ways they chose to photograph them. :)
So Empyrean is beautiful on the stand, not on the head. But in reality I will be looking at them when they are on the stand, not on my head :) (just joking)

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,436 of 12,975
If it was comfortable, durable, and sounded top-of-the-line, I wouldn't care if my headphones looked like two large coffee cans held on with velcro and rubber bands. I'm not looking for a fashion statement in public...I'm looking for outstanding music quality. Heck, do you think I would even consider walking around in public with my LCD-4's?

It's the music that matters to me (and the comfort while listening)...:gs1000smile:

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

P.S. ...Doing a double-take looking at my LCD-4's and a squashed coffee can...:grin::imp::grin::imp:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #1,437 of 12,975
You are probably very right about that and the ways they chose to photograph them. :)
So Empyrean is beautiful on the stand, not on the head. But in reality I will be looking at them when they are on the stand, not on my head :) (just joking)

Haha, these companies are smart about their official release photos :wink: . Most likely I'll just be admiring them on a stand. And I don't think I'll care too much on how they look on my head....well except if I'm wearing them outside in public, but that's probably not going to be the case unless I get a DAP or LG V30/40.

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,439 of 12,975
If it was comfortable, durable, and sounded top-of-the-line, I wouldn't care if my headphones looked like two large coffee cans held on with velcro and rubber bands. I'm not looking for a fashion statement in public...I'm looking for outstanding music quality. Heck, do you think I would even consider walking around in public with my LCD-4's?

It's the music that matters to me (and the comfort while listening)...:gs1000smile:

-HK sends

P.S. ...Looking at my squashed coffee can LCD-4s...:grin::imp::grin::imp:

I agree with your priorities. But just to clarify, I also don't care how do I look to others. I only listen music on my desktop PC. In my case the purpose of beauty is only for me to look at them :)

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #1,440 of 12,975
I agree with your priorities. But just to clarify, I also don't care how do I look to others. I only listen music on my desktop PC. In my case the purpose of beauty is only for me to look at them :)
I understand, just trying to be funny. I'll be looking at them as well when I'm not listening to them. Of course, for the record, I love the look of the LCD-4 as well.

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back