Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 12, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #9,916 of 12,975
Thanks everyone for a most helpful feedback. I greatly appreciate it. References back to the LCDs in comparison are especially useful for me. I agree that the Empyrean, like anything really, is judged by the sum of its parts. I was told that the Empyreans have high enough "tolerance" to a wider swath of source equipment. I'll be upgrading my DAC (I'm currently using MiniDSP), but I'm hoping that the Rega Brio will serve me well for at least a few more birthdays. Would love your thoughts. Salter.

May 12, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #9,917 of 12,975
Thanks everyone for a most helpful feedback. I greatly appreciate it. References back to the LCDs in comparison are especially useful for me. I agree that the Empyrean, like anything really, is judged by the sum of its parts. I was told that the Empyreans have high enough "tolerance" to a wider swath of source equipment. I'll be upgrading my DAC (I'm currently using MiniDSP), but I'm hoping that the Rega Brio will serve me well for at least a few more birthdays. Would love your thoughts. Salter.
In my personal opinion the MiniDSP for example can't even show you the full potential of the 2C.
I have never heard about the Rega Brio, but I personally wouldn't go below a Schiit Jotunheim 2 / Bifrost 2 combo for the Empyrean. Despite the low impedance these are high-end headphones that benefit from a good amp and DAC. If you have 2000+ for new headphones you should pair them with equipment that is able to drive them to their (near) full potential.
Others will disagree with me, but I stand by my own experience. You are reaching a territory where external advice is only helpful to a certain extent. You will have to try it yourself to see (hear) what you want and what is worth your own money.

May 12, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #9,918 of 12,975
Yeah hopefully we get another sound signature this year.
Just switched back from Alcantara to Leather - like a new headphone again.

Less airy with way stronger Bass.
Just went the other way round :)
More airy with way more subbass.
Less punchy. Good with the R8, where the punch was too much with the leather pad.

May 12, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #9,919 of 12,975
Less punchy. Good with the R8, where the punch was too much with the leather pad.
Yeah both sound simply amazing and I switch them every few months.
Both come with every Empyrean, which is another thing next to no other manufacturer offers.

May 12, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #9,920 of 12,975
I think perhaps the Alcantara pads are tonally more accurate with a bit more air in the upper mids and treble and a more natural tonality, instrument/vocal timbre.
But with a lot of modern music the extra bass punch of the leather pads is just so addictive. :)
I honestly can't understand some of the 'professional reviewers' who say there is hardly any difference between the pads. There is.

Leather pads sound a bit sharper, cleaner. Soundstage is a bit more limited, more narrow. Bass is definitely more impactful.
Alcantara pads sound a bit more open and more natural. Perhaps fuller in general, but not as clean in the bass. Alcantara wins for tonal balance.
I would take the Alcantara pads for classical or acoustic music but the leather pads for contemporary modern music.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #9,921 of 12,975
It gets tricky with all this audio jargon. I guess we could say that the Empyrean's bass is fuller than the LCD-X's, but IMO that is mainly because of the slightly higher mid-bass quantity. The bass on the LCD-X is more linear and a bit more dynamic, but this is just one of the 18 or more other aspects of sound where the Empyrean wins 17 out of 18 hands down.
Agree. By fuller, Empyrean's have more meat on the bones, while the LCD-X is more taut. It's also preference. That 17/18 is really in the ear of the beholder IMO. I just know the Empyrean's bass is more engaging to my ear- so far. That said, there are some orchestral cuts where drum or a tympany are more dramatic/dynamic on the LCD. But that maybe an amplifier matching thing.

May 12, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #9,922 of 12,975
Agree. By fuller, Empyrean's have more meat on the bones, while the LCD-X is more taut. It's also preference. That 17/18 is really in the ear of the beholder IMO. I just know the Empyrean's bass is more engaging to my ear- so far. That said, there are some orchestral cuts where drum or a tympany are more dramatic/dynamic on the LCD. But that maybe an amplifier matching thing.
You are absolutely right. It is preference. Also listening mood.

May 12, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #9,923 of 12,975
I think perhaps the Alcantara pads are tonally more accurate with a bit more air in the upper mids and treble and a more natural tonality, instrument/vocal timbre.
But with a lot of modern music the extra bass punch of the leather pads is just so addictive. :)
I honestly can't understand some of the 'professional reviewers' who say there is hardly any difference between the pads. There is.

Leather pads sound a bit sharper, cleaner. Soundstage is a bit more limited, more narrow. Bass is definitely more impactful.
Alcantara pads sound a bit more open and more natural. Perhaps fuller in general, but not as clean in the bass. Alcantara wins for tonal balance.
I'm with you on not understanding why a couple reviewers couldn't tell any/much difference between the pads. Puzzling to me, but everyone's ears are different, I suppose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #9,924 of 12,975
Received comfortable "couch" for the Meze today. 😁 Discounted return from Crutchfield. Would have a hard time paying full price. I have to say I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_174713.jpg
    IMG_20210512_174713.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #9,925 of 12,975
Got. Comfortable "couch" for the Meze today. 😁 Discounted return from Crutchfield. Would have a hard time paying full price. I have to say I like it.
Looks comfy but it’s crazy paying that kind of money for what is essentially a headphone stand. Rather like a $100+ leather case for a Montblanc pen regardless of its price.

May 12, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #9,927 of 12,975
Both come with every Empyrean, which is another thing next to no other manufacturer offers.
*cough*
Quad Era-1
*cough* :ksc75smile:

And yes, there's a clearly audible difference between both.
Even on the Quads. :wink:

May 12, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #9,928 of 12,975
Ordered the Empyrean Jet Black and Chord TT2 combo. Been hanging around the thread for a while guys...thanks for all the helpful info. Just wanna enjoy this setup for a while and add TOTL closed cans later.
Share your impressions once they arrive. Congrats on your choices. :beerchug:

May 12, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #9,929 of 12,975
Got. Comfortable "couch" for the Meze today. 😁 Discounted return from Crutchfield. Would have a hard time paying full price. I have to say I like it.
It's amazing, got it twice.
One for each headphone.

May 12, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #9,930 of 12,975
Looks comfy but it’s crazy paying that kind of money for what is essentially a headphone stand. Rather like a $100+ leather case for a Montblanc pen regardless of its price.
IMO
Dude this whole hobby is crazy. 😁

My rationale was to keep them well supported and prevent the leather headband from distorting over time.

And honestly in the context of a 3K headphone, ~100 is pretty reasonable. To keep the investment safe. Plus I saved money buying the Ikea chair opposed to the Shiatsu massage chair. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back