1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Feb 9, 2018.
First

Back
363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372
374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383
Next

Last
  1. joefig44
    Can anyone provide feedback on the Empyrean + WA11 Topaz combo?

2. Coffee Music
    Don't have personal experience but let me chime in with what I've read until more solidified thoughts arise. Fantastically clean and airy high, which is an amazing pairing with the Empyrean, the only nitpick I've seen is it might or might not have slightly recessed mids. Also the Topaz holds about 5.5 hours per charge. Even less than that over time. That's too short for the Empyrean. 12 hours minimum! just kidding not kidding.

Does it have to be the WA11 Topaz n also does it have to be portable tho? cuz folks are singing lullabies with the Emphoria combo

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  3. joefig44
    Thanks for this. the recesssed mids on the Topaz may be ok since apparently the Empyrean has forward (and amazing) mids.

4. Coffee Music
    That is true and not an understatement either. Some even agree Empyrean has world class mids. Including myself. Mids so good you see spirits

https://www.headfonia.com/woo-audio-wa11-review/3/
    This review of the topaz has the Empyrean as pairing, It might give you some answers

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  5. delirium
    Can somebody tell me please if empyrian
    changes with time? Burn inn!!!

6. Coffee Music
    I remember someone in this thread made a pretty detailed description of the burn in. He said the empyrean has one of the most drastic changes and it's truly worthy of a flagship headphone past 150 hrs.

Ragnar-BY likes this.
  7. Beagle
    At $3000? I sure hope so!

8. delirium
    Thank you!

9. Mutsu
    I took a listen to the Empyrean last weekend and while I thought they sounded great, I wasn't blown away or anything. It was in a crowded and noisy store though, with the Sennheiser HDV820 and a selection of the stores own music.

I went back yesterday because I wanted to give them another chance with my own music and with the Hugo 2. Luckily the store was much much less busy too and I was able to make some comparisons against other headphones.

What surprised me was the difference between the Empyreans and the other headphones I tried. Switching out headphones is not really something I've done in the past, but have done many speaker auditions in the past with different gear. The difference between speakers is of course noticeable, but I wasn't expecting much more noticeable differences with the different headphones by comparison.

Long story short is that the Empyreans sounded great, again wasn't completely blown away like the first time I experienced what I considered to be 'hi-fi sound' when I bought my HD650s (and thus started the long and expensive journey into hifi speaker systems). But when I tried some other headphones there was just something missing in there sound versus the Empyrean and to me they actually all sounded bad by comparison. The Empyrean seemed to tick all of the sonic boxes for me where the other headphones fell short on some of them.

At the price point, I was expecting to experience something really special / jaw dropping on the first listen. Maybe I just got my expectations too high from reading about them!

These will be my next pair of headphones though in the new year, the comparisons made me confident that these are indeed something special and gives me close as possible sound to my speaker setup.

Only negative I noticed in the store if that the Empyreans seem to only just fit my head, any larger and I think they would be too big for me. Not sure if they will have an affect for longer listening period or not.

wh01sjongalt and kid vic like this.
  10. Coffee Music
    For headphones that are designed to be more for musical enjoyment like the Empyrean, its full glory is realized when you're relaxed and listening to music instead of listening to sound. It's like a switch between listening with your ears vs. with your soul. I bet these audio stores would have more success if they give each listener a nice comfy chair in a warm and dimly lit environment and give listeners all the alone time they need. They are selling gears but also selling happiness.

The performance of easy to drive headphones like the Empyrean are often judged too quickly before closer inspection of associated gears. It's their strength and also their weakness.

I'm just rambling. In direct response to what you said. I'm glad you liked the Empyrean! If given the opportunity, listen to it with either the Euforia amp or the Cayin HA300 amp. These are two amps that people sing about pairing with their Empyrean.

If you aren't wow'ed by the Emp may I suggest try other famous headphones like Focal Utopia, Diana Phi, and Final D8000. One of them might send you to the moon.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    tradyblix likes this.
  11. Mutsu
    Totally agree about the listening environment, it would have been so much better if it was a quieter environment at least.

I did feel like the more music I tried with the Empyrean, the more I noticed how detailed they sounded. My expectations of being blown away were probably too high, as thinking about it even with my speaker setup it took me a long time to know I was truly happy with my system. Auditioning speakers also never really blew me away, but I always settled on the pair the sounded the best of the bunch to me - tweaking the rest of the chain at home. So based on that, I'm feeling like the Emp is a good match for me and I'll likely truly appreciate them once I listen at home.

I live in Japan and unfortunately I've not seen anyone that stocks the Diana Phi, but I was interested to try them. The Focal Utopia is pretty pricey here by comparison the Emp, but I should probably give it a try just incase. I tried the Final D8000 but hi-hats in a couple of songs sounded too grainy for my likely and was enough for me to put them aside.

12. Coffee Music
    Yea try the Utopia, here in the US if you look around sometimes you can get a new one for $2000. Hypothetically speaking you can gift someone a planet ticket to Japan, pay $2000 for Utopia delivery, and still save some pretty penny than the $4000 MSRP. If you go down the Empyrean route you have my full support. Honestly, I would not be surprised at all if Meze release new pads in the future that have different materials and depth to accommodate the sound even more. OH YEA did you try both the alcantara and the leather pads?

13. delirium
    I hope empyrian send me to the highest of heaven

14. Coffee Music
    It depends. Is that where you wanna go? :gs1000smile:'

Here's what I would do if I want to get to heaven on earth.

1) Get a large cup of coffee,
    2) Find a comfortable n quiet sitting place
    3) Have a playlist of songs that are currently your favorite. More power to songs that make you shed a tear.
    4) Plug the Empyrean into the best source and amp you have on hand.
    5) Take a sip of that coffee and hit the play button.

Usually about 30 minutes it will hit you and welcome to heaven. There's just something about coffee and music, it makes your ears more focused without your mind telling your ear to stay focus. Or something like that. I barely understand this phenomenon but it's something I swear by. Sometimes the crazy good things in life sound crazy.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  15. delirium
    What about coffee and weed?

supervisor likes this.
First

Back
363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372
374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383
Next

Last