Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Oct 17, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #5,086 of 12,975
I don't understand these graphs.

With headphone graphs there is for a normal sound, supposed to be a boost in dB somewhere in treble.

Like if you look at the Empyrean graph from Head-Fi.

There's the peak, somewhere between 2K and 6K Hz. (2K to 9KHz for the Sennheisers.) There has to be this peak with headphones, and it's something to do with the shape of the ear canal.

However the graphs I quoted don't show those peaks. They show a more flat response. I am wondering if those graphs are compensated to something like real value effect. Or how much energy we hear after out ears have heard the sound. Or in real terms. (Can't say what I mean here sorry.)

(On another note, I was never able to work out what the amplitude of that peak should be. Or it's width.)

Hi.

Only headphones measured on the same measuring platform can be compared.
What is interesting to know here are the relative differences in RF measurements, in this present case, in the bass (for the relative level of bass between these four headphones).

19101708512023553816468105.jpg

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #5,087 of 12,975
Wow, a lot of noise here today.

I have to disagree with this point:

Clearly not a prototype as they are being produced in quantity and shipped to re-sellers all over the world.

Otherwise, I can't contribute further than to reiterate my opinion:

Good headphones, very comfortable and well-built, more 'fun' than 'reference' tuned, powerful, but somewhat loose bass, surprisingly detailed for a warmer tuned headphone.

I owned them and sold them, though not without some reluctance.
I agree on the more fun, or let's say musical tuning versus dead neutral and analytical.
'Loose' bass however is quite relative. And tightness is not the only attribute that makes bass enjoyable.

Empy bass for example is better in everything than LCD2 or LCD2C bass. Yes, the LCD4 bass is more refined and detailed, but bass is not everything. HEKV2 bass is also more detailed, but thinner with less impact.
Let's say Empy bass is fairly detailed with good body, weight and impact. Not as detailed as an LCD4, but more detailed than pretty much anything under $2000.
So much moan about certain aspects of headphones. There will never be one perfect headphone that satisfies everyone and does everything perfectly. We all have different tastes and manufacturers have a way to go too.

I could go to other flagship headphone threads and say negative things about their weaknesses. Why would I do that? All flagships have pros and cons that's why people choose between them. Let just everyone enjoy their choices.
I won't go to your table in a restaurant where you are eating freshly grilles sea bass with spinach and say spinach is bloody disgusting. I will stay at my table and enjoy my sea bass with lemon and pine nut.
Stop craping on each others plates because we don't like what the other one is eating. We should just enjoy our own dish. A lesson a lot of head-fiers should learn and this forum would become a better place.

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #5,088 of 12,975
Believe me the empyrean is not worth your money, it is a statement product, a prototype.
The sound is not precise, it is pleasant but really not on par with Audeze and Hifiman offerings.
I bought mine new and sold it after 2 months of ownership.
Please see this video it echoes my own thoughts about them :

Anyways, try at least listening to them before dropping your money on these.
If I were you I'd try out the Hifiman Arya instead, cheaper and honestly better sounding.

the HE-1000se is to my ears a far better choice in the price range

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #5,089 of 12,975
the HE-1000se is to my ears a far better choice in the price range
It depends on what you are looking for. And the 1000SE is also £550 more expensive. The LCD4 is £900 more expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #5,090 of 12,975
for me, equally as comfortable...far more detailed sounding and larger soundstage but thats me

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #5,091 of 12,975
The Empy is nice but clealy not 3K nice. Maybe 2K and even then...
Sure the comfort and built is world class, but it is a headphone not some head apparel.

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #5,092 of 12,975
for me, equally as comfortable...far more detailed sounding and larger soundstage but thats me
Detail and soundstage is not everything. There is thickness, timbre, easy listening, lush, inviting sound, impact, energy, life...

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #5,094 of 12,975
And we all have different ears, I immediately sold HE1000 after hearing Empyrean.
I was in love with the bass of my LCD2C. I bought and sold the Clear, Aeon open/closed, HEXV2, auditioned Elear, all the ZMF line and still preferred the bass on my 2C with all its shortcomings: less than stellar upper mids and treble...
Only the Empy made me throw away the 2C without a second thought. And the Empy for me was a very clear and obvious choice over the Verite or LCD4 too. Both the LCD4 and the Verite are a bit more detailed than the Empy, but the Verite doesn't have that planar bass and the LCD4 looses life and air in the upper mids/treble. The Empy is the prefect compromise for me at the moment. The headphone that does everything as good as possible at the moment in one package.
This is a personal hobby afterall.

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #5,095 of 12,975
...Stop ***ing on each others plates because we don't like what the other one is eating...
I don't believe I was. And 'loose bass' is a lazy shorthand for:

On some tracks the timbre of cello and double bass were 'off'. Lots of bass output, but the character of the instruments was ... not lost, but ... reduced.

On other tracks (e.g., 'Albatross' by Fleetwood Mac), bass percussion and electric bass information was blurred.

Not horrible, and probably not even a negative for bass-heads. But to my ears, significant enough to make me prefer other headphones.

But, as I said, I sold them despite some reservations. I really like the immersive/lush sound and stage of Empy, as well as the surprising amount of detail presented by headphones with a 'fun' signature. Also, comfort is superlative.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #5,096 of 12,975
Totally disagree about HE1000SE - again, shows how we all hear things differently. I personally find that HiFiMAN has been going backwards on the HE1K series - V1 was better that V2, and SE is just.... weird.

But that's confounded by the fact that their product is highly variable from one example to the next. Kind of like how Audeze used to be a few years back.

If you've only ever heard one of each you might form opinions quite opposite from another forum member, and then you both show up here vigorously defending your perspective - not realizing you heard completely different things and you are actually both correct. So all I can reliably say is the specific HE1K V1 I happen to own is better than the several V2 and SE examples I have heard. That may not translate to your experience though.

The Empy is nice but clealy not 3K nice. Maybe 2K and even then...
Sure the comfort and built is world class, but it is a headphone not some head apparel.

One could reasonably argue that all high-end headphones are overpriced these days. Back in the day, top dogs were HD650, K701, and DT880, all of which were very affordable by today's flagship standards. Grado's RS-1 was considered wildly expensive at $695. Things have changed since then - headphones have improved but prices have gone crazy.

I'll say it again though - I would gladly purchase the Empyrean at full price compared to Susvara, LCD-4, or Utopia.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #5,097 of 12,975
I don't believe I was. And 'loose bass' is a lazy shorthand for:

On some tracks the timbre of cello and double bass were 'off'. Lots of bass output, but the character of the instruments was ... not lost, but ... reduced.

On other tracks (e.g., 'Albatross' by Fleetwood Mac), bass percussion and electric bass information was blurred.

Not horrible, and probably not even a negative for bass-heads. But to my ears, significant enough to make me prefer other headphones.

But, as I said, I sold them despite some reservations. I really like the immersive/lush sound and stage of Empy, as well as the surprising amount of detail presented by headphones with a 'fun' signature. Also, comfort is superlative.
While the Empy is good at classical music, perhaps it is not the ultimate can for that. As I said it comes down to personal taste, preferred music genres and gear synergy. I hardly ever listen to classical music, but if I do every now and then I know the Empy does a decent job with that too, even though I know a HD800s, Utopia or HEKSE is better with classical music. But for me Empy does a much better job with all the other genres I listen to 80% of the time compared to these former mentioned cans. So for me the choice is obvious. Empy is perhaps the best all-rounder flagship with a tendency to shine with modern genres. That's cool with me.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #5,098 of 12,975
Believe me the empyrean is not worth your money, it is a statement product, a prototype.
The sound is not precise, it is pleasant but really not on par with Audeze and Hifiman offerings.
I bought mine new and sold it after 2 months of ownership.
Please see this video it echoes my own thoughts about them :

Anyways, try at least listening to them before dropping your money on these.
If I were you I'd try out the Hifiman Arya instead, cheaper and honestly better sounding.

Are you really bragging in your sig about being unemployed right now ? Does that have anything to do with why you’re selling all your good equipment ? It just seems... odd

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #5,099 of 12,975
We have reached a new low...
Are you really bragging in your sig about being unemployed right now ? Does that have anything to do with why you’re selling all your good equipment ? It just seems... odd
You mean overpriced equippement ? No that has nothing to do with it, I am selling because I don't like owning over rated things. I prefer being on the sweet spot and maximizing the money I invest. Call it being rational if you want. What does that have to do with anything ?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #5,100 of 12,975
You mean overpriced equippement ? No that has nothing to do with it, I am selling because I don't like owning over rated things. I prefer being on the sweet spot and maximizing the money I invest. Call it being rational if you want. What does that have to do with anything ?
Overpriced is a relative term. It is a matter of hearing and thickness of wallet. You lack one of those at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back