Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 20, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #4,758 of 12,975
Focal Utopia
"Crazy detailed, but often sounds too forward, too bright and bass light. Often feels like a microscope, not necessarily the most pleasurable headphone."

This keeps coming up. I think it's pretty stupid. How can detail and clarity not be enjoyable and require attention?

It can be unenjoyable in the same way someone screaming at you can be unenjoyable. If I yell an answer at you, you’ll get all the detail and clarity of my message, but it may not be pleasant. Likewise, too forward upper mids and/or too much treble energy can sound shouty to those who are sensitive to those areas.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #4,760 of 12,975
It can be unenjoyable in the same way someone screaming at you can be unenjoyable. If I yell an answer at you, you’ll get all the detail and clarity of my message, but it may not be pleasant. Likewise, too forward upper mids and/or too much treble energy can sound shouty to those who are sensitive to those areas.
I never heard this from any headphones except iems. But, I switched to tubes a long time ago and don't really like SS amps now.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #4,761 of 12,975
There’s also a reason why you see them on sale or bundled with another component.
folks sell their high-end headphones for all sorts of reasons. that's certainly not confined to the utopia and neither are promotional offers.

Sep 20, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #4,764 of 12,975
It might not sell like Beats but hey that doesn't say anything about sound quality of either.

You and I are not talking about the same thing. I’m talking about utopia being offered off price or bundled with another component from a dealer. Maybe they are priced too high and that’s why they’re offered on a deal. I don’t know the answer to that, but I do know they are offered that way and I don’t see the Empyrean or the LCD4 offered that way.

As far as sound quality, everyone has different likes and dislikes as well as how they like to hear music.

Sep 20, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #4,765 of 12,975
I’m not talking about people selling used, I’m talking about new from dealers. I don’t see the Empyrean sold off price.
well the empyrean is a relatively recent release compared to the utopia, which has been around since 2016. who knows, you might see dealers discounting and bundling the empyrean before too long.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #4,766 of 12,975
well the empyrean is a relatively recent release compared to the utopia, which has been around since 2016. who knows, you might see dealers discounting and bundling the empyrean before too long.

They might if they change the tuning to become bright, analytical, lacking bass, and non-musical. Hmmm, what headphones does that sound like? :ksc75smile:

Sep 20, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #4,767 of 12,975
They might if they change the tuning to become bright, analytical, lacking bass, and non-musical. Hmmm, what headphones does that sound like? :ksc75smile:
the hd800 perhaps? tho i've no doubt there are many hd800 owners who would vehemently dispute that. hearing acuity and personal preference vary as you know.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #4,768 of 12,975
the hd800 perhaps? tho i've no doubt there are many hd800 owners who would vehemently dispute that. hearing acuity and personal preference vary as you know.

I was actually referencing the Utopia. LOL.

Yes hearing acuity and personal preferences of course play into it. That’s what it’s all about. Likes and dislikes can’t be disputed On the other hand a general impression can be formed in terms of does something sound, warm, laid back, forward, bright etc.

For instance, we can all agree that ice cream tastes sweet and a pretzel tastes salty. However that’ doesn’t everyone likes pretzels or ice cream.

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #4,769 of 12,975
I was actually referencing the Utopia. LOL.

Yes hearing acuity and personal preferences of course play into it. That’s what it’s all about. Likes and dislikes can’t be disputed On the other hand a general impression can be formed in terms of does something sound, warm, laid back, forward, bright etc.

For instance, we can all agree that ice cream tastes sweet and a pretzel tastes salty. However that’ doesn’t everyone likes pretzels or ice cream.
i'm well aware of your disparaging view of the utopia because you've expressed it here often enough, which is why i ignored your (barely) oblique reference to it.

i'm yet to see a so-called "general impression" of a headphone that hasn't been disputed in the forum threads by those who don't happen to share it. this is an inherently subjective pursuit after all. i also don't happen to find food (or cars for that matter) analogous to headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back