1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Feb 9, 2018.
First

Back
301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310
312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321
Next

Last
  1. mixman
    Well the thing with the Susvara is if you go into the Susvara thread the guys there will tell you that you are not hearing them being properly driven with a GSX mini. I thought they sounded great with the mini, but most of the owners there say you do need a top flight speaker amp to get the most out of them.

2. nwavesailor
    IMG_3867.jpg

ayang02 and Bonddam like this.
  3. Bonddam
    I bet throwing the bank at the argument will always make things sound better, but you didn't find anything wrong with the comb.. This then comes down to opinions.
    If I was rich then I'd buy even more expensive dac and amp. I don't believe lesser priced amps sound like crap on more expensive headphones. But buying a more technology advanced amp could make them sound theor best if synergy is met. So often I hear about matching being key
    That's my thought on the matter.
    Damn it the Empyrean sound awesome on my ifi iPro can.

Hoegaardener70 likes this.
  4. Bonddam
    Damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only time my friend and I'll have mine.. I went with polished blue I'm only 1/4 Italian or it would have been gold.

5. Bonddam
    Which Norn cable is that I like it?

6. nwavesailor
    Silvergarde S3-layered

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  7. mixman
    How does the Empy sound with the mini?

8. nwavesailor
    The Empy sound REALLY good.......... even with 0 hours on the GS-X mini!
    I had the HeadAmp Gilmore lite for a time that also paired nicely with the Empy's. There are similarities with the mini, but I don't have it to do an A/B comparison.

As you know, mixman, they can also sound great with the Liquid Platinum and a variety of better tubes.(IMO, mostly other than 6922's) Heck, the Empy's sound good with a Garage 1217 amp paired with great tubes and sounds decent using an Oppo HA-2 SE alone! Yes they sound 'better' with better gear, but still sound really nice with everything I have tried.

I saw that mixman had sold his LP so perhaps they were not a great pairing for him.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  9. SammYyYyY
    First day has been absolutely sublime. What a lovely sounding headphone with the Hugo 2.
    empy 1.jpg empy 2.jpg

Docharsha89 likes this.
  10. mixman
    Never had the Empy while I had the LP. Not sure that would be the best pairing since both are thick sounding. and warm. I actually did hear the early mini at CanJam with the Empy and it was good. Cannot remember in detail how it actually sounded though. The Empy does sound good with a lot of amps and sources.

11. nwavesailor
    The LP is not warm, IMO, if using Tele's ECC82 / 12AU7 (smooth plate or G73-R) or WE 2C51. I found it paired nicely with these tubes in the LP and the Empy.

One man's opinion I suppose!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  12. Benny-x
    Can anyone tell me if there ever ended up being different finishes and versions of the Empyrean? I remember seeing in the initial release info that the headphone would remain the same, but there would be different colours and such released at different periods into the future.

Did that ever happen? And if so, were there any side-by-side pics?

Now that the dust has settled and the Empyrean is still well-liked, I'm thinking of picking one up. I listened to and liked it, but I also don't trust my own first impressions....

13. mixman
    Well compared to something like the THX and my RME it did sound warm and that's with Gold Lions, which while not the best tubes are known to be on the brighter side.

14. Rowethren
    I don't believe they ever released other colours but I guess they might still do. There is still development going on with pads as well.

I have owned mine since February and still think they sound great and have absolutely no desire to change them. I wouldn't mind the different pads when they eventually released just as verity is the spice of life.

15. betula
    No colour versions as yet. The early production Empyreans however were a bit lighter in colour due to the shorter anodising process. Not a huge change.
    Also, I have seen custom made Empyrean in silver. I think if you search the thread you can find a picture.

I have my Empyrean since June and never felt more content with any of my previous headphones.

First

Back
301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310
312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321
Next

Last