Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 14, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #3,377 of 12,975
Word on the street is that the Empyrean's are overpriced Sennheiser HD 650's. Say it ain't so?
Heard this comparison for first time..Not sure which street has this word out. I am long time sennheiser user. I own 600, 800s and had 650. There is no similarity between sennheiser's tonality and timbre with that of Meze's. They both are completely different sounding. Just because people say it is relaxed sounding with good bass doesn't mean it sounds like 650.
I guess ZMF Aeolus is said as supercharged HD650 in a good way and to be quite frank if any headphone can sound like 650 with better bass and little better treble can't be said as Overpriced as that would be perfect sound signature. so if anyone says it is Over priced 650, I guess it is a complement. It means ppl think it sounds like 650 but I can guarantee better bass is there.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #3,378 of 12,975
Word on the street is that the Empyrean's are overpriced Sennheiser HD 650's. Say it ain't so?
It ain't so.
Definitely.
Ain't.
Empy's bass goes much lower and has even more mid bass. 650 is tighter in the bass, more detail in the mids. Empy get's a bit more splashy in the treble, 650 more controlled.
Very different presentation.

This seems to happen almost every time a warm-ish TOTL headphone comes around. "Just like a 650!"
Except it's not.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #3,383 of 12,975
It ain't so.
Definitely.
Ain't.
Empy's bass goes much lower and has even more mid bass. 650 is tighter in the bass, more detail in the mids. Empy get's a bit more splashy in the treble, 650 more controlled.
Very different presentation.

This seems to happen almost every time a warm-ish TOTL headphone comes around. "Just like a 650!"
Except it's not.

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who hears some splashiness in the Empyrean. I wish they sounded as smooth as the majority in here say.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #3,384 of 12,975
I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who hears some splashiness in the Empyrean. I wish they sounded as smooth as the majority in here say.
Of course it's your ears/my ears, chain is very important, track/file being used etc. etc. but I'd say it's there.

Not horrible for me, but YMMV, and it obviously will.

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #3,386 of 12,975
I wanted to love them. I tried hard. But it just wasn’t happening.
Try them with a cheap hybrid like Lyr 3 and you will like it. Ly3 is smoothest sounding schiit amp and pairs well with Empyrean.
Or if budget permits then with v281 or Feliks Euforia

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #3,387 of 12,975
Of course it's your ears/my ears, chain is very important, track/file being used etc. etc. but I'd say it's there.

Not horrible for me, but YMMV, and it obviously will.

What is splashiness? Serious question as I am curious (genuinely because I wonder if I have heard the same in other setups before). Adjectives used in the audiophile world are funny sometimes and leave you wondering, what does that even mean?

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #3,388 of 12,975
What is splashiness? Serious question as I am curious (genuinely because I wonder if I have heard the same in other setups before). Adjectives used in the audiophile world are funny sometimes and leave you wondering, what does that even mean?

Perhaps tornado like shiit sounds that occur around 10khz.

You won't notice this usually with acoustic or classical music which is mid-centric. More noticeable in some electronic tracks.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #3,389 of 12,975
I never heard splashiness. Whatever that means lol no waves of the ocean reaching my beach. The only thing that I didn't like was the Dave and Empy pairing where is sounded muffled with the stock cable.

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #3,390 of 12,975
You make a good point, it's not always clear, nor well defined. I find splashiness to be akin to peakiness, in that there are some spikes in the treble region. cymbals and high hats for instance can sound overly accentuated.

Many find it pleasant, some are more adverse to it. I don't find it objectionable myself, but my ears are definitely aging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back