Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #631 of 1,488
I'm talking with Elon Musk to take a trip to Calisto and stay there for a lifetime... That's glorious...

Anyway, like I asked to @MatW a few days ago... Have you considered the option to do a rental service of your headphones for the comunity? Maybe now with the COVID raising again worldwide is not a good idea... But maybe in the future :beerchug: I hope you have enough time for your "headphones library" :relaxed:
Thank you for the kind words sir, pack well as the trip to Calisto is a long one. :beerchug:

Unfortunately, these are my babies, I don't even lend them to family members. Sure, if they are around I will let anyone listen to them, but to take them to their own house unsupervised? It's like having someone take your pet cat or puppy away, haha.

Also, I've been listening to the Liric non stop for the past four hours and they are super enjoyable. I haven't done any A/B comparisons or anything yet, just some brain burn-in, foot-tapping and head-bobbing. :L3000:

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #632 of 1,488
I trulyy appreciate your views. Electric drums are excellent on tight spaces and in high-rises.

Actually, I lived in apartment and had the set, which I sold and bought Liric. We moved into new apartment and simply didn't have space. I did got the mentioned, and it was great.

Just to make sure of the sound insulation.

I did got Roland TDM-10 & the set under foot pedal.

Nice to see someone to be fully alert. Good Job!.
Did you forget to switch accounts again?

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #633 of 1,488
Talking of drums.... have you seen this? Bloody amazing!

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #634 of 1,488
Dec 20, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #635 of 1,488
Has anyone done a comparison of Meze Audio LIRIC vs Audio-Techica ATH-AWKT headphones? They cost the same where I live and I'm planning to procure a pair in 2022. I will definitely audition them myself when the time comes, but it would be interesting to read the opinion of other people, non the less.
Thank you.

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #636 of 1,488
Has anyone done a comparison of Meze Audio LIRIC vs Audio-Techica ATH-AWKT headphones? They cost the same where I live and I'm planning to procure a pair in 2022. I will definitely audition them myself when the time comes, but it would be interesting to read the opinion of other people, non the less.
Thank you.
I had the AWKT for about a year or so. It has a very different tuning from the Liric - extremely refined, but very flat with a slightly rolled off bass. Mids are its strength, which have great texture. Top end is airy but not abrasive. The AWKT is an idiosyncratic headphone - it's not unlike the HD800s, when it works for some genres, it works well. But it's 100% *not* an all rounder.

The Liric is *way* more energetic - has a slight bump in the bass, flat mids, and much crisper top end. The Liric is, in my experience, a good all-rounder, and generally speaking way more enjoyable.

Really depends on your preference. If you listen to a lot of classical, jazz, fusion - go AWKT. For everything else, Liric.

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #637 of 1,488
I had the AWKT for about a year or so. It has a very different tuning from the Liric - extremely refined, but very flat with a slightly rolled off bass. Mids are its strength, which have great texture. Top end is airy but not abrasive. The AWKT is an idiosyncratic headphone - it's not unlike the HD800s, when it works for some genres, it works well. But it's 100% *not* an all rounder.

The Liric is *way* more energetic - has a slight bump in the bass, flat mids, and much crisper top end. The Liric is, in my experience, a good all-rounder, and generally speaking way more enjoyable.

Really depends on your preference. If you listen to a lot of classical, jazz, fusion - go AWKT. For everything else, Liric.
Thanks. Do the AWKT have wider sound stage? Also, for entertainment activities, such as gaming, movies or youtube - the Liric sounds like a better option due to its energetic nature?

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #638 of 1,488
Thanks. Do the AWKT have wider sound stage? Also, for entertainment activities, such as gaming, movies or youtube - the Liric sounds like a better option due to its energetic nature?
AWKT does have wider soundstage, yes. The spacing of the pads themselves are wide, but very flat. You really need to demo them, because actual fit is very hit/miss depending on ear shape (especially the lower part of the seal).

Oh yes, Liric way more suitable for entertainment. I mean, I guess you could game with the AWKT, but if you're playing FPS rather than point-and-click, might be an austere experience (although I'm only a casual gamer - Skyrim on the Switch with a pair of B&O H6's - so not best placed to answer this).

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #640 of 1,488
I wanted to iterate on @Nostoi recommendation for this pairing. It's very addicting. Thank you for recommending the M17!

20211220_171826[1805].jpg

Edit: Another musical pairing with the Liric, the Shanling M30.

20211220_113434[1799].jpg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #641 of 1,488
I wanted to iterate on @Nostoi recommendation for this pairing. It's very addicting. Thank you for recommending the M17!

20211220_171826[1805].jpg

Edit: Another musical pairing with the Liric, the Shanling M30.

20211220_113434[1799].jpg
Glad you're enjoying! I find the M17 seems to pair nicely with most headphones, but there's something about the Liric and M17 combo that just really hits the sweet spot :ok_hand:

Dec 21, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #642 of 1,488

So, I've pitted these 2 headphones against each other. Both are priced within the same bracket and/or tier - one's a cult favorite (admittedly), and the other, the new kid on the (closed) block.

Let's see how they fare against each other.

Notes
  • Both headphones were driven straight out of my Chord Hugo TT 2 (with Hugo M Scaler).
  • I've used a combination of tracks, but they are mostly EDM (75% Dance Music, 25% Pop and Rock).
Bass
Of course, we have to start with the region of the frequency spectrum that I am most invested in, the lows. The AH-D9200 has a greater mid-bass punch that is rather palpable, in comparison to the LIRIC. There is certainly greater impact and slam. Sub-bass extension is, again, brilliant on the Denon - the sub-bass rumble reaches deep into the nether regions (I know, this sounds weird, bear with me).

On the other hand, the LIRIC has a cleaner bass profile. In fact, the lows are very well sculpted, with bands of bass pockets distinctly separate from each other. It fares better in this department than the Denon, IMO. Unlike the AH-D9200, the LIRIC has less bloom in the lower registers, resulting in a region that has slightly better definition.

Ultimately, the lows on the Denon have better texture and character, thanks to a greater bass shelf that invokes a sense of prominence and grandeur. Conversely, the LIRIC offers a well-cast low-end section that retains a decent touch of rumble and slam; it's just not as inviting as the Denon in this regard.

Midrange
The mids on the AH-D9200 are well balanced, with good representation throughout. Vocals and instruments are reproduced with a small degree of luscious and verdant authority. Moreover, the Denon flagship appears to add a touch of emotive expression to voices - they sound slightly fuller and richer.

The LIRIC's midrange, like its bass, is slightly cleaner and leaner. Its mids aren't as abundantly expressive as those on the AH-D9200, but it readily trades some of that sweet texture for slightly-better resolution, resulting in better-defined vocals and instruments.

It's very difficult to decide between these 2 headphones, to be honest. When I was going back-and-forth between my favorite Pop and Rock songs, some of them sounded better on the Denon, whilst others sounded better with the Meze. Curiously, I think the LIRIC does better with male vocals, whilst the AH-D9200 does slightly better on female ones; this preference is not set in stone, however.

With that being said, what's obvious, though, is how they vary in the way vocals are presented - the LIRIC is leaner with slightly better definition; the AH-D9200 is warmer, slightly thicker, and fuller.

Treble
The AH-D9200 is easily the brighter headphone of the 2. There is an air of prominence, energy, and air about its highs. If you want crisp and detailed treble, the AH-D9200 is the better choice; you'll hear a healthy blend of sparkle, grain, and extension. However, the Denon's highs are slightly hot and peaky at the worst of times - this may be an undesirable characteristic for those seeking a headphone that's free of sibilance or sharp highs.

In contrast, the LIRIC's higher registers are decidedly free of unwanted peaks. The treble is well controlled and represented, providing adequate sparkle and sizzle without dialing the treble intensity to 11. However, it is also less energetic and prominent in the overall sense. Thus, like the caveat that I've provided for the AH-D9200's treble, the converse holds true - if you are looking for a brighter headphone, the LIRIC may not be the right choice.

In summary, the Denon is brighter, and the LIRIC is.. less bright? It's an easy conclusion to reach, yes, but there are varying nuances that also separate the 2. The AH-D9200 has slightly better clarity overall, and has slightly better treble extension. The LIRIC has very good reach into the highest regions, too, but offers a modestly-muted presentation that results in a small loss in detail.

Technicalities
Both of these headphones are very good at resolving detail; clarity is certainly one of their fortes. Moreover, the Denon and the Meze passed the layering and instrument separation tests. It was a struggle to separate the 2 in the technical front.

However, if I had to differentiate between the 2, I'd say that the Meze is a tad better at resolving the finest bits of detail and nuances. The Denon usually comes undone during crowded passages, where it struggles to isolate myriad voices and instruments from each other. The LIRIC achieves this objective in a more facile manner.

Staging & Imaging
The Denon has a smaller stage in all dimensions; this was fairly obvious from the get-go. The LIRIC quashes its rival in this aspect, providing a noticeably wider and deeper stage.

Thankfully, the AH-D9200 redeems itself by providing excellent imaging; the LIRIC matches it in this department, though.

Comfort
There is no contest here. The AH-D9200 feels more cramped, has a stronger clamp, and comes with a headband that is less comfortable on my head than the LIRIC. Moreover, the pads are rather small for a full-sized headphone; they are quite comfortable on my ears, thankfully.

In comparison, the LIRIC feels lighter on my head, even though it isn't - 391g VS 375g. This is probably due to a combination of larger, plusher pads, a better weight-distribution design, and a headband system that is a lot more comfortable to use.

If you're listening to music for extended periods - and I assume you should be, right? - the LIRIC is the definite choice, at least within the topic of comfort. In fact, I have yet to try a Meze headphone that fails to impress in this crucial aspect, but that is a topic for another day.

Final Thoughts
The LIRIC impressed me during my first audition, and has continued to delight ever since. Pitting it against the Denon was quite the treat; many of you know that I love the AH-D9200 to bits. Thus, I approached this comparison with an open mind - I sought to discover if the LIRIC could dethrone the Denon from its spot.

Did it succeed? Well.. not exactly.

The LIRIC is certainly leaner in tone, with a slight edge in resolution, a cleaner and better-defined bass section, and a less-prominent treble section. Ergo, it doesn't sound very much alike the Denon at all. Thus, as a standalone headphone, it is a great choice for any audiophile seeking a closed-back solution for general use.

However, for the music that I listen to (EDM, mostly), the Denon still performs on a higher level. With that being said, as an all-rounder, the LIRIC is a brilliant option; in fact, if you prefer a headphone that is less boosted in the bass and the treble, the Meze will probably fit your tastes better.

In parting, whatever choice you make, you can't go wrong with either headphone, IMO.

@pr90

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #643 of 1,488

So, I've pitted these 2 headphones against each other. Both are priced within the same bracket and/or tier - one's a cult favorite (admittedly), and the other, the new kid on the (closed) block.

Notes
  • Both headphones were driven straight out of my Chord Hugo TT 2 (with Hugo M Scaler).
  • I've used a combination of tracks, but they are mostly EDM (75% Dance Music, 25% Pop and Rock).
Bass
Of course, we have to start with the region of the frequency spectrum that I am most invested in, the lows. The AH-D9200 has a greater mid-bass punch that is rather palpable, in comparison to the LIRIC. There is certainly greater impact and slam. Sub-bass extension is, again, brilliant on the Denon - the sub-bass rumble reaches deep into the nether regions (I know, this sounds weird, bear with me).

On the other hand, the LIRIC has a cleaner bass profile. In fact, the lows are very well sculpted, with bands of bass pockets distinctly separate from each other. It fares better in this department than the Denon, IMO. Unlike the AH-D9200, the LIRIC has less bloom in the lower registers, resulting in a region that has slightly better definition.

Ultimately, the lows on the Denon have better texture and character, thanks to a greater bass shelf that invokes a sense of prominence and grandeur. Conversely, the LIRIC offers a well-cast low-end section that retains a decent touch of rumble and slam; it's just not as inviting as the Denon in this regard.

Midrange
The mids on the AH-D9200 are well balanced, with good representation throughout. Vocals and instruments are reproduced with a small degree of luscious and verdant authority. Moreover, the Denon flagship appears to add a touch of emotive expression to voices - they sound slightly fuller and richer.

The LIRIC's midrange, like its bass, is slightly cleaner and leaner. Its mids aren't as abundantly expressive as those on the AH-D9200, but it readily trades some of that sweet texture for slightly-better resolution, resulting in better-defined vocals and instruments.

It's very difficult to decide between these 2 headphones, to be honest. When I was going back-and-forth between my favorite Pop and Rock songs, some of them sounded better on the Denon, whilst others sounded better with the Meze. Curiously, I think the LIRIC does better with male vocals, whilst the AH-D9200 does slightly better on female ones; this preference is not set in stone, however.

With that being said, what's obvious, though, is how they vary in the way vocals are presented - the LIRIC is leaner with slightly better definition; the AH-D9200 is warmer, slightly thicker, and fuller.

Treble
The AH-D9200 is easily the brighter headphone of the 2. There is an air of prominence, energy, and air about its highs. If you want crisp and detailed treble, the AH-D9200 is the better choice; you'll hear a healthy blend of sparkle, grain, and extension. However, the Denon's highs are slightly hot and peaky at the worst of times - this may be an undesirable characteristic for those seeking a headphone that's free of sibilance or sharp highs.

In contrast, the LIRIC's higher registers are decidedly free of unwanted peaks. The treble is well controlled and represented, providing adequate sparkle and sizzle without dialing the treble intensity to 11. However, it is also less energetic and prominent in the overall sense. Thus, like the caveat that I've provided for the AH-D9200's treble, the converse holds true - if you are looking for a brighter headphone, the LIRIC may not be the right choice.

In summary, the Denon is brighter, and the LIRIC is.. less bright? It's an easy conclusion to reach, yes, but there are varying nuances that also separate the 2. The AH-D9200 has slightly better clarity overall, and has slightly better treble extension. The LIRIC has very good reach into the highest regions, too, but offers a modestly-muted presentation that results in a small loss in detail.

Technicalities
Both of these headphones are very good at resolving detail; clarity is certainly one of their fortes. Moreover, the Denon and the Meze passed the layering and instrument separation tests. It was a struggle to separate the 2 in the technical front.

However, if I had to differentiate between the 2, I'd say that the Meze is a tad better at resolving the finest bits of detail and nuances. The Denon usually comes undone during crowded passages, where it struggles to isolate myriad voices and instruments from each other. The LIRIC achieves this objective in a more facile manner.

Staging & Imaging
The Denon has a smaller stage in all dimensions; this was fairly obvious from the get-go. The LIRIC quashes its rival in this aspect, providing a noticeably wider and deeper stage.

Thankfully, the AH-D9200 redeems itself by providing excellent imaging; the LIRIC matches it in this department, though.

Comfort
There is no contest here. The AH-D9200 feels more cramped, has a stronger clamp, and comes with a headband that is less comfortable on my head than the LIRIC. Moreover, the pads are rather small for a full-sized headphone; they are quite comfortable on my ears, thankfully.

In comparison, the LIRIC feels lighter on my head, even though it isn't - 391g VS 375g. This is probably due to a combination of larger, plusher pads, a better weight-distribution design, and a headband system that is a lot more comfortable to use.

If you're listening to music for extended periods - and I assume you should be, right? - the LIRIC is the definite choice, at least within the topic of comfort. In fact, I have yet to try a Meze headphone that fails to impress in this crucial aspect, but that is a topic for another day.

Final Thoughts
The LIRIC impressed me during my first audition, and has continued to delight ever since. Pitting it against the Denon was quite the treat; many of you know that I love the AH-D9200 to bits. Thus, I approached this comparison with an open mind - I sought to discover if the LIRIC could dethrone the Denon from its spot.

The LIRIC is certainly leaner in tone, with a slight edge in resolution, a cleaner and better-defined bass section, and a less-prominent treble section. Ergo, it doesn't sound very much alike the Denon at all. Thus, as a standalone headphone, it is a great choice for any audiophile seeking a closed-back solution for general use.

However, for the music that I listen to (EDM, mostly), the Denon still performs on a higher level. With that being said, as an all-rounder, the LIRIC is a brilliant option; in fact, if you prefer a headphone that is less boosted in the bass and the treble, the Meze will probably fit your tastes better.

In parting, whatever choice you make, you can't go wrong with either headphone, IMO.

@pr90
Great comparison! Can you also compare the LIRIC with your GH50?

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #645 of 1,488

Notes
Bass

Midrange

Treble

Technicalities

Staging & Imaging

Comfort

Final Thoughts

@pr90
@Malevolent, what an insightful and accomplished comparison! Many thanks to you for that :) Obviously, even after this latest battle, D9200s remain on the throne for you …is my impression correct, that the overall better perceived soundstage of Lirics (on top of the overall Lirics high SQ) doesn’t outweigh D9200s yet in the sound department - in terms of toe-tapping/head-bopping or “emotion” or how to call it?
As much as you like D9200s, if put the EDM aside, is Liric for other music on the same/higher “enjoyment” level or is that just not so simple (I guess the latter :-D ) ?
Regarding better detail on Liric, generally speaking, is more detail always better or is it that the less detail level (of e.g. D9200s) can be sweet spot for some (people/genres) and more would be just too much for a pleasant listening session?
Lastly, being leaner in tone (Liric) - is that just a matter of individual preference in sound, or should that be viewed as a negative, generally?
Don’t worry, I am not gonna dig deeper than this, as you’ve pretty much told so much already in your comparison. Once again, your help is very appreciated :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back