Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 16, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #121 of 1,446
MEZE LIRIC : mini review

11-16-2021

A Questyle CMA 12 - Master Edition Dac/Amp was use for this review.
-

Box : Meze has created a nice unboxing experience. The overall feel of the package and the Box are special. . Time and care was taken to create the nice package that contains the LIRIC.

Carrying Case : Its nicer in person than in the photos or videos. Its similar to a nice FOCAL case.

Cables : (2), Typical shorter and longer. Both are rubber and better then the similar style that comes with the Sundara and Hifiman Edition XS. Both Meze cables are SE (Mono). You can order Balanced for your LIRIC from Amazon, who carries the correct cable. The prices is $50 well spent.

Headband & Frame : Its Magnesium, and quite light and feels of high quality. Headband is easy to adjust and feels comfy.

Pads : Leatherish, comfy, deep. The Headphones on your head feel similar in comfort to the DCA Aeon 2. So, its very comfy.

mini Review :

When i decided to buy these, it was after i researched the available UTUBE reviews.
The Bloom Audio and the Major HIFI videos, were my touchstone that led me to decide to buy this new Meze (mobile) gear. And i have to tell you that i felt uncertainty while waiting for their arrival.... because..... the Bloom Audio review highly suggested that the LIRIC's were Sub-Bass canons, and the Major HIFI review stated that the headphones are "bright". So, doing the sonic math, .... "Bright + Sub Canon" = Consumer V shape non audiophile disappointing gear.
Well, im happy to report that you can believe me when i tell you that you are not to fear the LIRIC's sound as being "too sub" or "bright".
I would categorize the LIRIC's Treble as "very nice presence".
IN fact, the Bass is extremely well balanced, and the overall tonality is more clear then bright, tho the sound of the Liric is definitely not dark.

Treble : Its very natural, and its slightly airy and smooth and nicely detailed. Its is also slightly crisp and present.
its the kind of Treble that lets you hear a Vocalist's breath and causes cymbals to sound exciting and live, yet, trumpets do not punish your ears. It lets you hear the microphone, and gives electric guitars a bit of bite and acoustic guitars a bit of zing... So, its like that.....
You know what i mean......Its the good stuff.

ITs not HEKSE overcooked, nor is it Audeze underwhelming. It is in fact quite possibly some of the most sweet and natural treble you'll find in a closed back set of headphones. Layering and resolution are very good and yes there is a touch of added presence in the Treble FR, but its not sizzly, nor is it etched.

Midrange : Here is the debating point that is going to be debated once everyone who is going to own the LIRIC comes to the forum to tell us how they hear it.
I hear it like this. Its engaging and seducing, and precise.. It is in fact, very detailed and well presented. There is ample wideness and detail, yet, the smoothness and balanced presentation of the midband is best defined as precise. Layering and resolution are very good.
Mids are the standout, as offered by the LIRIC.
Something you'll notice is that the LIRIC's lower mids are at least 1 step back, and this allows for more midrange clarity and detailed precision.

Bass : Its Linear, its round, sweet, and very balanced. The LIRIC is not a Sub-canon, and its not a bass recessed set of headphones. The LIRIC"s bass is expertly created to be a part of the total FR package, vs, being something that robs the mids of their precision or take centerstage regarding the LIRIC's overall sonic presentation.
Its good bass, and its not a bass head bass. Its an audiophile performance low end presentation, exactly as you find with the LIRIC's midrange and treble.

Instrument Separation : Meze does this very good in their Empyrean, and better with their Elite, and again in the LIRIC its excellent.

Soundstage : Its very good. It has good depth, width, and competes easily with many open backs. Its much wider and deeper than the Diana V2, for example.
There is a nice sense of Immersion, but not so much that you feel lost in a big room somewhere in the back of the auditorium while listening.

Timbre : Natural, clear, suggesting warmth.

In my opinion MEZE has created a world class set of closed headphones with the LIRIC
Its a comfortable wear and, it has a very balanced and natural sound signature, and its impressive as a build.
Nothing about the FR feels too aggressive or lacking in audiophile sound quality. The LIRIC's voice is not a fatiguing sound nor is it dark, laid back, or lacking in precision and clarity.

Final analysis : Very Good gear, not overpriced., and now that MEZE has decided to offer the buyer the "pad replacement kit", all systems are GO and get it.

This will be a set of headphones that everyone will want to try, and Future Audiophiles will buy for years and years.
-
-

Attachments

• DSC09863.JPG
    DSC09863.JPG
    913.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC09864.JPG
    DSC09864.JPG
    997.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC09865.JPG
    DSC09865.JPG
    847.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC09866.JPG
    DSC09866.JPG
    897 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC09867.JPG
    DSC09867.JPG
    902.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC09868.JPG
    DSC09868.JPG
    922 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #125 of 1,446
This is the 3.5mm connector on stock Meze cable. If you are in doubt, send the photo the your cable seller and they should be able to tell compatible options in their shop.

If you are considering headphone cables from other brands, look for 3.5mm TS connector that doesn't has a lock mechanism. Extended tip will work but not with recessed or non-circular barrel that will lock the connector when plug in. I standardize all my aftermarket headphone cable to mXLR, and DIY headphone adapters to convert different headphone connectors to mXLR. This is my 3.5mm adapter with Eidolic 3.5mm universal extended-tip plug (old version):

Andy, please ask Meze to offer a longer balanced cable with 4-pin XLR. Some of us may not want to take these cans outside!
Cheers and Thanks! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #126 of 1,446
MEZE LIRIC : mini review

11-16-2021

-

Box : Meze has created a nice unboxing experience. The overall feel of the package and the Box are special. . Time and care was taken to create the nice package that contains the LIRIC.

Carrying Case : Its nicer in person than in the photos or videos. Its similar to a nice FOCAL case.

Cables : (2), Typical shorter and longer. Both are rubber and better then the similar style that comes with the Sundara and Hifiman Edition XS. Both Meze cables are SE (Mono). You can order Balanced for your LIRIC from Amazon, who carries the correct cable. The prices is $50 well spent.

Headband & Frame : Its Magnesium, and quite light and feels of high quality. Headband is easy to adjust and feels comfy.

Pads : Leatherish, comfy, deep. The Headphones on your head feel similar in comfort to the DCA Aeon 2. So, its very comfy.

mini Review :

When i decided to buy these, it was after i researched the available UTUBE reviews.
The Bloom Audio and the Major HIFI videos, were my touchstone that led me to decide to buy this new Meze (mobile) gear. And i have to tell you that i felt uncertainty while waiting for their arrival.... because..... the Bloom Audio review highly suggested that the LIRIC's were Sub-Bass canons, and the Major HIFI review stated that the headphones are "bright". So, doing the sonic math, .... "Bright + Sub Canon" = Consumer V shape non audiophile disappointing gear.
Well, im happy to report that you can believe me when i tell you that you are not to fear the LIRIC's sound as being "too sub" or "bright".
I would categorize the LIRIC's Treble as "very nice presence".
IN fact, the Bass is extremely well balanced, and the overall tonality is more clear then bright, tho the sound of the Liric is definitely not dark.

Treble : Its very natural, and its slightly airy and smooth and nicely detailed. ITs not HEKSE overcooked, nor is it Audeze underwhelming. It is in fact quite possibly some of the most sweet and natural treble you'll find in a closed back set of headphones. Layering and resolution are very good and yes there is a touch of added presence in the Treble FR, but its not sizzly, nor is it etched.

Midrange : Here is the debating point that is going to be debated once everyone who is going to own the LIRIC comes to the forum to tell us how they hear it.
I hear it like this. Its sweet and its engaging and seducing, and not out front and punched. It is in fact, just very well presented. There is ample wideness and detail, yet, the smoothness and balanced presentation of the midband is best defined as natural. Layering and resolution are very good.

Bass : Its Linear, its round, sweet, and very balanced. The LIRIC is not a Sub-canon, and its not a bass recessed set of headphones. The LIRIC"s bass is expertly created to be a part of the total FR package, vs, being something that robs the mids of their precision or take centerstage regarding the LIRIC's overall sonic presentation.
Its good bass, and its not a bass head bass. Its an audiophile performance low end presentation, exactly as you find with the LIRIC's midrange and treble.

Instrument Separation : Meze does this very good in their Empyrean, and better with their Elite, and again in the LIRIC its excellent.

Soundstage : Its very good. It has good depth, width, and competes easily with many open backs. Its much wider and deeper than the Diana V2, for example.
There is a nice sense of Immersion, but not so much that you feel lost in a big room somewhere in the back of the auditorium while listening.

Timbre : Natural, clear, suggesting warmth.

In my opinion MEZE has created a world class set of closed headphones with the LIRIC
Its a comfortable wear and, it has a very balanced and natural sound signature, and its impressive as a build.
Nothing about the FR feels too aggressive or lacking in audiophile sound quality. The LIRIC's voice is not a fatiguing sound nor is it dark, laid back, or lacking in precision and clarity.

Final analysis : Very Good gear, not overpriced., and now that MEZE has decided to offer the buyer the "pad replacement kit", all systems are GO and get it.

This will be a set of headphones that everyone will want to try, and Future Audiophiles will buy for years and years.
-
-
Thank you for your mini review. My order, from Bloom Audio, arrives tomorrow and I can’t wait!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #127 of 1,446
the Bass is extremely well balanced, and the overall tonality is more clear then bright, tho the sound of the Liric is definitely not dark.
Yup. I heard the same; this is a great executive summary. Treble is neither sibilant nor recessed, and bass extension and grip were both very satisfying. Clarity was a defining trait for me, as well.

I enjoyed the mids on LIRIC out of what I auditioned, but VC mids are unbeatable for me; I don't know if the LIRIC mids are "contentious," but VC is so lush, that's what I'm after with the Pendant -> VC chain. It's my flavor when I feel like listening to vocal performances, in particular. For example: VC for Fleetwood Mac, LIRIC for Infected Mushroom.

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #129 of 1,446
Getting over yesterday's hype and sleeping on it, looking at them again with fresher perspective, they indeed look really elegant. Upper-classy, yet timeless quality about them. That's the aura I get looking at them photos. What Mont Blanc should have done instead of what they did do, yet with more finesse that the company is known for in their other products. Naturally, audio wise it's no match, and MB's more into that bling factor. Look forward to all the in-depth reviews to flood in soon.

shopping.png

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #130 of 1,446
Got them just now I set them up placed new 12bh7A STR from TAD for my Wells Dragon lvl 2 so after bank and food do my listening. right know I have the Elite and Liric on the same Woo Audio stand and looks very cool next to each other. I did try them on and they felt as comfortable as my Elite. The texture paint helps the magnisum not look like plastic. Very light but sturdy in the hand. I'm hoping big bass close to my TH900 MK2 with a more linear frequency response. If they can do holographic and sound liquid with bass that's it and I'll be happy as a pig in Sh!&.

Attachments

• PXL_20211116_185011274.jpg
    PXL_20211116_185011274.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20211116_185004078.jpg
    PXL_20211116_185004078.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 16, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #131 of 1,446
I for one think these look fantastic, but the lack of magnetic pads is super disappointing IMO. Surely there is a solution to keep a seal and a magnetic fixture at the same time...

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #133 of 1,446
Got them just now I set them up placed new 12bh7A STR from TAD for my Wells Dragon lvl 2 so after bank and food do my listening. right know I have the Elite and Liric on the same Woo Audio stand and looks very cool next to each other. I did try them on and they felt as comfortable as my Elite. The texture paint helps the magnisum not look like plastic. Very light but sturdy in the hand. I'm hoping big bass close to my TH900 MK2 with a more linear frequency response. If they can do holographic and sound liquid with bass that's it and I'll be happy as a pig in Sh!&.
Mine are delayed with no eta, I am so jealous

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #134 of 1,446
Literally just had this question, thank you for an answer!
IMG_3624.jpg

Since embargo's up I can say I was quite impressed with this headphone, the staging was impressive with great width and depth very cohesive, in terms of tuning I found it mostly linear with a little top end emphasis and sparkle. Certainly enjoyable to listen to and it sounded outstanding with the Diablo, tho I didn't need Turbo mode at all. Normal worked quite well.

My only frustration is I did not have a chance to listen to it with the balanced output only single ended but from what I heard I feel this is going to be an excellent choice for any one wanting a more transparent reference tuned closed back. So it's not that it's lacking body, warmth or even BASS it's just not quite as fun or musical as stuff like the Fostex TH900s, Focal Celestee or Aeon 2C. I for one appreciated that about it but for something with more body the iFi ZenDac was also a great listen too! The bass boost there was useful for when I wanted to add in some fun to EDM or even some Pop Songs.

Not direct comparisons at the moment but keep an eye out for something from us in the future!​

Thanks a ton for your impressions and it's awesome to see Liric on real life shots other than those posh made by Meze. And yes, iDSD Diablo's Normal mode seems to be a spot on choice considering their specs. How much Liric's sound characteristic differs from Empyrean btw.?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 16, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #135 of 1,446
I have perused about three or four reviews, each of which provide a differing description of the sound and the signature balance, and all appearing seemingly simultaneously. As this is a brand new release, is it normal to write full reviews based on such brief listening periods? I might be reading the wrongs things into this but it reads as a rush-on to get reviews out before really discovering the true sound of the headphones over time. Again, maybe this is normal procedure and comparison with existing equipment is all that is required, and I'm all wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back