Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 16, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #106 of 1,488
Most manufacturers have it like that.
Meze is one of the examples where it is actually close to the same price.

Hifiman Susvara 6000$ vs 7000€(=8000$) is a 33% price increase for europe.

Mcintosh MHA 200 2400$ vs 3000€(3400$)

Cayin Ha-6a 2400$ vs 3500€..

Or the other way round
Solitaire P 4800€(5600$) vs 6400$

While I am all with you that the products should cost roughly the same in different countries, the reality Shows that usually they don't and Meze actually has still quite similar prices
Fair enough. I don't buy these products and I'd rather buy products made close to origin with favourable pricing. For example I have Harbeth speakers instead of lets say klipsch

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #108 of 1,488
From which other headphone brand could I use the 4.4 cable, I have some?
There's any number of brands you can easily buy a 4.4mm cable from. This would be my recommendation and likely where I'll get mine from for the Liric - https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=73

I think he asked termination rather than length?

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #110 of 1,488
Still makes no financial sense other than Meze accepting lower profit margins in the US market. Anyway. As per my example above where Harbeth speakers are sold based on the UK price and exchange rate (before tax in the US case). Long story short, US consumers will be able to buy this headphones with less purchasing power. It's OK but I don't think is the right commercial approach.

You really don't know that Meze is accepting lower profit margins in the US without taking into account possible differences in sales volume, distribution and tax structures. I mean sure, for consumers in the UK and EU it might not be an ideal situation, but whether it's the right commercial approach for Meze is a different story entirely

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #111 of 1,488
Yes, I have Hifiman, Audeze, Abyss, ZMV, Focal, Denon, so which of them has the same Plugs?
They're dual 3.5mm, thus including:

Denon (AH-D600, AH-D7100, AH-D7200), Sony (MDR-Z7, MDR-Z1R), Beyerdynamic (T1 2nd Gen, T5 2nd Gen), JVC (HA-SW01/Wood 1, HA-SW02/Wood 2), McIntosh (MHP1000), Final Audio Design (Pandora, Sonorous, Hope, D8000), Klipsch (Heritage HP-3), Focal (Elear, Clear, Elex, Clear Pro, Elegia, Stellia), Pioneer (SE-Monitor 5), Onkyo (A800), HiFiMan (Ananda, HE-5SE, HE-6SE, HE-1000SE, Sundara, Arya), RAAL (SR1a), Meze (99 Classics, 99 Neo, 99 Noir) (via Plussound)

But not all 3.5mm variants are the same. Forza have plugs specifically for Meze 99 and these would likely fit Liric.

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #112 of 1,488
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #113 of 1,488
Hello,
the range of balanced cables for the Liric is fortunately quite large, since the headphones are wired via 2 common 3.5 mm mono jacks. However, the silver-coated copper cable from Meze itself (Meze 99 Classics, Meze 99 Neo) is already well suited - it just doesn't quite fit in terms of color... 😉
Greetings
Fidelio

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #114 of 1,488
No luck to get them in Japan. Audio46 cancelled my order, impossible from Meze as well.
:frowning2:

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #116 of 1,488
And u got a lot of people defending the "right to repair", so what's your point on that? Comparing the bad things of the phone market to defend a bad implementation on headphones?

And phone are easily reaplaceable on 3-4 years because they gets old... But a headphone should a 1 life time buy if u find the right one. Looks beyerdinamic or Sennheiser for example, making swapable headbands and earpads.

And u should read my comment, Im not talking about the phone itself, I'm talking about people defending a decision that is clearly bad for customers.

So my take here is that the way the pads are implemented is new and the application isn't one that we've seen before, is innovation bad for us as customers?

And I've got a 2012 set of LCD 2's still rocking their original pads I've been taking care of them (gentle cleaning and regular leather care routine) and they've not deteriorated...

The pads are part of the port system could be that they need to be correctly put in. Might be issue they glued them on. Sure they will design a fix. But port has to be exact when the ear is fixed directly in the path, It's easier to pick mess ups with bass imbalance. Those would be most reasonable explanation I would except.😜😂

yeah this seems to make sense and going through the manual this seems to be discussion on right and wrong ways to switch the pads

Still waiting for a response from meze on what that process could in my possibly look like,

Is there a 4.4 balanced cable for it?
Cables for the 99 Classic Series work with it but updated accessories are likely on the way

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #117 of 1,488
Yes, I have Hifiman, Audeze, Abyss, ZMV, Focal, Denon, so which of them has the same Plugs?
They're dual 3.5mm, thus including:

Denon (AH-D600, AH-D7100, AH-D7200), Sony (MDR-Z7, MDR-Z1R), Beyerdynamic (T1 2nd Gen, T5 2nd Gen), JVC (HA-SW01/Wood 1, HA-SW02/Wood 2), McIntosh (MHP1000), Final Audio Design (Pandora, Sonorous, Hope, D8000), Klipsch (Heritage HP-3), Focal (Elear, Clear, Elex, Clear Pro, Elegia, Stellia), Pioneer (SE-Monitor 5), Onkyo (A800), HiFiMan (Ananda, HE-5SE, HE-6SE, HE-1000SE, Sundara, Arya), RAAL (SR1a), Meze (99 Classics, 99 Neo, 99 Noir) (via Plussound)

But not all 3.5mm variants are the same. Forza have plugs specifically for Meze 99 and these would likely fit Liric.

This is the 3.5mm connector on stock Meze cable. If you are in doubt, send the photo the your cable seller and they should be able to tell compatible options in their shop.

Liric 3.5mm TS headphone connector.jpg

If you are considering headphone cables from other brands, look for 3.5mm TS connector that doesn't has a lock mechanism. Extended tip will work but not with recessed or non-circular barrel that will lock the connector when plug in. I standardize all my aftermarket headphone cable to mXLR, and DIY headphone adapters to convert different headphone connectors to mXLR. This is my 3.5mm adapter with Eidolic 3.5mm universal extended-tip plug (old version):

Liric with Eidolic 3.5mm universal extended-tip plug.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 16, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #118 of 1,488
Do you think this is in the same league with the top tier closed backs for desktop use?
I did. I heard LIRIC at Capital Audiofest and bought it there because it's a nice alternative to VC. Bonus that it's easy to drive portably--I have enjoyed taking Arya on the go to ruin people who haven't heard good audio, and now I think LIRIC can do that a bit better because of the isolation. They also may be a good option for travel when space isn't such a premium to limit me to IEMs.

Anyway, VC on tubes (I own Pendant) is where it's at for me for closed back listening. However, for genres with lots of energy, LIRIC delivers a very active, punchy sound. I have heard plenty of claims that Empyrean is "the best" can for electronic music, so that's what I auditioned at CAF, and I found the experience compelling enough to make a purchase (shipping says they arrive today, so I'll have more impressions later).

I still prefer VC for most genres--especially anything where ZMF's rich vocal presentation makes the mix. However, LIRIC is a nice alternative for high energy material that I like for programming. I envision LIRIC becoming my everyday closed can and using VC more sparingly, but particularly after work hours when I can engage with music more completely.

I also own Stellia, which was my all around favorite can for a good while, until I got VC. Stellia has intimate staging and top-notch detail, and is also a good portable can; in many ways it might be some of the stiffest competition for LIRIC. However, LIRIC is considerably cheaper and has a nice big stage vs the flashier design and extreme detail resolution of Stellia (oh, and replaceable pads, lol).

I have heard Stealth twice now--once at CANJAM SoCal on Ampsandsound Nautilus, and once at CAF on a GSX Mk2, I believe. Both times I found it good, but not as musically engaging as I'd like--it just wasn't $4k worth of excitement. Like, I get emotional about my VCs, and about Susvara, and I expect that by the time the price tag hits $4k on a pair of headphones that something really special ought to be going on. That hasn't happened with Stealth.

In sheer sound quality, LIRIC was "close enough" to Stealth in technicalities that they were kind of a wash, though I actually found LIRIC more engaging musically (for the limited music styles I tried). Physical build quality on Stealth was more impressive--the machining is excellent and the headphone is put together really well. The suspension system is great and extremely comfortable. LIRIC isn't exactly "less comfortable," but there is a moderately strong clamping force (offset by extremely comfortable, thicc pads), so LIRIC doesn't quite disappear, but I think it still offers all day comfort.

--

Anyway, that's a quick rundown of how I see LIRIC competing with other closed back options. The price makes LIRIC extremely competitive vs other closed backs, and portability might be another huge advantage if that's important (counterargument: MEST MkII customs are cheaper, smaller, more portable, and arguably better all-rounders if IEMs are an option).

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #119 of 1,488
So my take here is that the way the pads are implemented is new and the application isn't one that we've seen before, is innovation bad for us as customers?

And I've got a 2012 set of LCD 2's still rocking their original pads I've been taking care of them (gentle cleaning and regular leather care routine) and they've not deteriorated...

yeah this seems to make sense and going through the manual this seems to be discussion on right and wrong ways to switch the pads

Still waiting for a response from meze on what that process could in my possibly look like,

Cables for the 99 Classic Series work with it but updated accessories are likely on the way
I think there can't be larger hole on back of the pad as that could eventually leak if seals break around the outside of the pad. If they install a hard plastic stem the could be a fail as plastic will break. Best way would be a hard material with a port that goes into the frame from back side of the ear pad. To avoid mistakes permanently glueing it so no fails. Work around would be make the back of the pad from strong metal and use magnets to lock the pad in place. It might change the price to go up. I'm sure the price was set before design. I like Meze doesn't follow a house sound as it keeps you in one box. Idea think outside the box those are what's going to make Meze better in later years. I had a hate love for Empyrean the Elite I love but miss that bass of the Empyrean just smacked my eardrums really good. Elite is better with it's holographic sound making it sound more enjoyable. Empyrean lost me in upper mids into treble. Some songs dark others dry with veil almost sound as part of the frequency response was missing or too low. They are young company and they haven't given up on the driver tech and want better. The price of headphones have higher price because another company is involved. Lots of factors. The Liric new driver new housing do tooling cost and paying Rinaro to make the drivers. Lots of dough to be paid out. I love Meze audio, and I would not say they are the best but they are getting there. They ain't done they're only getting started.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #120 of 1,488
I did. I heard LIRIC at Capital Audiofest and bought it there because it's a nice alternative to VC. Bonus that it's easy to drive portably--I have enjoyed taking Arya on the go to ruin people who haven't heard good audio, and now I think LIRIC can do that a bit better because of the isolation. They also may be a good option for travel when space isn't such a premium to limit me to IEMs.

Anyway, VC on tubes (I own Pendant) is where it's at for me for closed back listening. However, for genres with lots of energy, LIRIC delivers a very active, punchy sound. I have heard plenty of claims that Empyrean is "the best" can for electronic music, so that's what I auditioned at CAF, and I found the experience compelling enough to make a purchase (shipping says they arrive today, so I'll have more impressions later).

I still prefer VC for most genres--especially anything where ZMF's rich vocal presentation makes the mix. However, LIRIC is a nice alternative for high energy material that I like for programming. I envision LIRIC becoming my everyday closed can and using VC more sparingly, but particularly after work hours when I can engage with music more completely.

I also own Stellia, which was my all around favorite can for a good while, until I got VC. Stellia has intimate staging and top-notch detail, and is also a good portable can; in many ways it might be some of the stiffest competition for LIRIC. However, LIRIC is considerably cheaper and has a nice big stage vs the flashier design and extreme detail resolution of Stellia (oh, and replaceable pads, lol).

I have heard Stealth twice now--once at CANJAM SoCal on Ampsandsound Nautilus, and once at CAF on a GSX Mk2, I believe. Both times I found it good, but not as musically engaging as I'd like--it just wasn't $4k worth of excitement. Like, I get emotional about my VCs, and about Susvara, and I expect that by the time the price tag hits $4k on a pair of headphones that something really special ought to be going on. That hasn't happened with Stealth.

In sheer sound quality, LIRIC was "close enough" to Stealth in technicalities that they were kind of a wash, though I actually found LIRIC more engaging musically (for the limited music styles I tried). Physical build quality on Stealth was more impressive--the machining is excellent and the headphone is put together really well. The suspension system is great and extremely comfortable. LIRIC isn't exactly "less comfortable," but there is a moderately strong clamping force (offset by extremely comfortable, thicc pads), so LIRIC doesn't quite disappear, but I think it still offers all day comfort.

--

Anyway, that's a quick rundown of how I see LIRIC competing with other closed back options. The price makes LIRIC extremely competitive vs other closed backs, and portability might be another huge advantage if that's important (counterargument: MEST MkII customs are cheaper, smaller, more portable, and arguably better all-rounders if IEMs are an option).
Great impressions, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back