Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 15, 2021 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,488

MezeTeam

Sponsor: Meze Audio
Boys and girls of Head-Fi, gather around for yet another exciting launch!
We are so happy to announce the release of LIRIC, Meze Audio’s first high-end closed-back planar headphone that is re-engineered for portable use.

“In our folklore, lyricism is found in the smallest of details, from odes to poems, from flute songs to the melismatic tunes of the “doina” (a style of voice singing specific to Romania). Our first closed-back isodynamic headphone was born out of love for music, poetry, and the indisputable attachment we have to our country’s culture.

We’ve been wanting to do a portable planar for a while, and following two successful collaborations with Rinaro, it was a natural next step. Naming it LIRIC was not a game of chance. It was an ideal metaphor to paint the authentic, vivid and poetic sound disguised behind its ethereal silhouette.”
- Antonio Meze, Lead Designer & Founder Meze Audio

MezeAudio_ClosedBack_PlanarMagnetic_Liric.jpg

Why a closed-back planar magnetic?

With LIRIC, we wanted to create an outdoor headphone that goes beyond the limitations of a closed-back design. By combining the Isodynamic Hybrid Array Driver with the patent-pending Phase-X™ system from Rinaro, we were able to create an experience comparable to that of an open-back headphone, which translates to a spacious soundstage and accurate imaging that allows you to hear the track exactly how it was initially recorded.

LIRIC is the first closed-back headphone powered by Rinaro’s Isodynamic Hybrid Array driver. Created exclusively for Meze Audio, the MZ4 driver offers the same dual-shaped voice coil array seen in the Meze Audio Empyrean and Elite. Over 30 years of R&D have gone into developing this technology, resulting in one of the lightest and most advanced planar magnetic drivers on the market. An innovation to the MZ4 driver is the Phase-X™ system, created by Rinaro as a way to minimize phase distortion issues, typically found in closed-back headphone designs.

Meze Audio_Liric_LifestyleS.jpg

Tech Specs

HEADPHONE SPECIFICATION OVERVIEW

Driver Type - Rinaro Isodynamic Hybrid Array® MZ4
Operating Principle - Closed
Ear Coupling - Circumaural
Frequency response - 4 - 92,000 Hz
Impedance - 30 Ω
Nominal SPL - 100 dB (1 mW / 1 kHz)
Maximum SPL - 130 dB
THD - <0.15 %
Weight - 391 g

MZ4 PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Geometrical Shape - Ovoid
Size - 92mm x 63mm
Weight - 71g
Casing - Fibreglass reinforced polymer

MZ4 DIAPHRAGM SPECIFICATIONS

Type - Rinaro Isoplanar® MZ4
Active Area - 3507 mm2
Weight - 0.08 g
Acoustic Mass - 6.5 kg/m4
Lower Frequency Limit - 4 Hz
Upper Frequency Limit - 92,000 Hz

Want to know more? Head over to LIRIC’s official website.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Nov 15, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 1,488
Reviews and FAQ

Measurement

Meze_Audio_Liric Measurement by Resolve.jpg

FR Curve courtesy of @Resolve (The HEADPHONE Show)
Please also check out explanation of the LIRIC FR measurement from Resolve's LIRIC Live Stream (~00:08:10 - 00:18:10), and his advice on apply measurement data to daily use.

Impressions and Reviews in HeadFi:
Ryan Soo: Nov 15, 2021
SpeleoFool: Nov 17, 2021
FullBright1: Nov 17, 2021, Part 2
Bonddam: Nov 17, 2021, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
ThanatosVI: Nov 18, 2021, Part 2,
Nostoi: Nov 18, 2021, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
KlaraKlang: Nov 19, 2021,
Malevolent: Nov 20, 2021, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5
kundica: Nov 20, 2021,
Ichos: Nov 20, 2021,
ufospls2: Nov 20, 2021
Newsee: Nov 20, 2021, Part 2
ddlo: Nov 20, 2021, Part 2, Part 3,
OneEyedHito: Nov 22, 2021
SpeleoFool: Nov 23, 2021, Part 2,
carboncopy: Nov 25, 2021
MatW: Nov 26, 2021,
adrianm: Dec 3, 2021
Edosan227: Dec 3, 2021
BowWazoo: Dec 11, 2021, Part 2
carboncopy: Dec 14, 2021
LongBeforeShort: Dec 16, 2021
upto #658

Reviews outside HeadFi
Headfonia
Darko Audio
Headphones.com
MajorHiFi
Bloomaudio
THL (Ryan Soo)
musicalhead.de

YouTube
Woo Audio (Unboxing)
MajorHiFi
Moon Audio
The HEADPHONE Show, Full Review
Bloom Audio
Drako Audio

Liric Explained
The earpad are replaceable.
Family Sound Signature

When Sound Meets Poetry.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 15, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 1,488
Had these in for a few days now for photographing and first impressions, just posted these up on THL!

DSC02349.jpg

Certainly, a lovely design as we've come to expect from Meze - these are no less lux than their full-fledged flagship open-backs. The texture on the magnesium frame reminds me of that found on DSLR's, it gives them a nice tactility and high-class feel in the hand. The pads are super deep so these are very much an over-ear headphone as opposed to some portable headphones that are more semi-over-ear. They also have a wide, breathable headband and shed a lot of weight relative to a full-size design at 391g. In turn, I found them to be very comfortable for longer listening sessions at home in addition to offering an awesome seal and passive isolation for portable listening too.

DSC02357.jpg

Sonically, they are nicely balanced resembling the company's flagships more than the former 99-series. The Liric is also surprisingly spacious with near open-back levels of dimension and separation, very impressive! You don't get the natural fall off of an open-back, but I think many listeners will be impressed here.

DSC02354.jpg

The tuning is interesting too. What stands out coming from Meze's open-backs is the reduced upper-bass warmth and slightly crisper lower treble giving it a bit more bite and engagement than before. This works in tandem with a noticeably harder-hitting and more sub-bass focused low-end giving them more fun factor and weight. I do think the midrange will be contentious, however. As before, they are well-structured with a good amount of lower-mid body. But I am hearing a 2k dip that means vocals are slightly diminished, especially relative to the almost vocal-empowered Empyrean and Elite. I wouldn't say they are hollow or thin as they retain a pleasant smoothness and density through the upper-mids.

Overall, appears many companies are ramping up their closed-back game and this is a trend I am happy to see as a big fan of portable headphones. I think these are a premium but very serious competitor in this segment and a good foil to the open-back models with its more engaging tuning. Happy listening and happy to answer any questions on this model :)

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 1,488
Congratulations they look amazing!

Let me do some nagging here on the official thread.

The Liric are very likely to draw Elite/Empyrean users that they need a portable friendly solution with the same sound quality.

Why didn't you keep the same 4 pin mini XLR plugs so we can use our upgraded cables?

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 1,488
Impressive!

Definitely going to have to check these out.

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 1,488
Are you guys really expecting people to pay 2k for a pair of headphones without detachable earpads?! Maybe you should be more clear about that drawback instead of hiding it in the manual?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-15_090958.png
    Screenshot_2021-11-15_090958.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 1,488
Got mine ordered, will share impressions soon.

My only Gripe even before they arrived are the changed connectors. Now I need to invest in aftermarket cabling again...

They look gorgeous and I can't wait to listen to them

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 1,488
This works in tandem with a noticeably harder-hitting and more sub-bass focused low-end giving them more fun factor and weight.
yes-hockey.gif

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 1,488
So my two questions

1) Are the Cushions user represable or are fixed glued non represable?
2) How the liric compare to Sony MDR-1ZR?

Just providing an update here, Andy announced the pads are not intended to be easily removed. However, they can be user replaced via a service kit down the line. See the full post here.

The pads are non-replaceable as they are part of the audio design. We'll see if Meze has an update/instructions on this down the line.

I will compare to the Z1R in my full review coming in early Dec :)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 1,488
Our friends at Woo Audio posted an unboxing Video.

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 1,488
The pads are non-replaceable as they are part of the audio design. We'll see if Meze has an update/instructions on this down the line.

I will compare to the Z1R in my full review coming in early Dec :)
If they are not replaceable then probably can't compete with the Z1R, not sure if the stelia has replaceable Pads too.

I'll be reading this thread, and hopefully you will post here so I can read/watch your review.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Pfgo
Back