MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #4,441 of 5,587
Well… this didn’t take long. Ordered them 24hrs ago and they’re already here. Along with a long awaited 1960s Siemens Long Plate Triple mica tube.

I have a feeling this evening will be a good one… music, new toys and a dram or two of single malt!

D09C4080-8EB1-4E17-847E-16AD8387E672.jpeg
Enjoy and share your impressions! :wink: :beerchug:

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #4,442 of 5,587
Will do. I've been listening to the normal Alcantara pads and I was enjoying them with acoustic and classical. May take a few days to get a feel as to the differences as I'll need to revert back to a tube I know well when comparing the three sets of pads.

At the moment, the new tube is running in after I tested it for shorting etc. No problems with it so far so should be a case of running it till at least 50hrs before making a comparison to the 1970's version I have.

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #4,443 of 5,587
Will do. I've been listening to the normal Alcantara pads and I was enjoying them with acoustic and classical. May take a few days to get a feel as to the differences as I'll need to revert back to a tube I know well when comparing the three sets of pads.

At the moment, the new tube is running in after I tested it for shorting etc. No problems with it so far so should be a case of running it till at least 50hrs before making a comparison to the 1970's version I have.
Take your time.

Tubes are fun, but can be a nuisance at the same time (faults, random unexplained noise, failures). I see why they are worth the struggle though. When the universe aligns, they reward you with unmatched sonic bliss. :)

I also find the og Alcantara pads in some cases superior to the hybrids when it comes to certain acoustic or classical recordings. Upper mids and treble sounds more open and more natural. With all other genres though you loose too much on bass extension, bass impact and body. Hopefully the new angled Alcantara found a better balance between the two older pads.

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #4,444 of 5,587
Yes... I like the extra spatial detail but if you pop on some EDM they suck the life out of the low end. The hybrids shine there.

I've been lucky so far with tubes. I've only had one really duff tube (touching wood)... Those Siemens tubes I mentioned above are amazing when you can find them. If you like the Mullard m8136, you'd like the Siemens 5814a Triple Mica tubes. The 60's are supposed to be better than the 70's versions but time will tell. The 70's version was amazing so hell, if it sounds the same I'd be happy at that!

One thing I'd say about the new Meze pads... they seem really well made. The shape, cut of material etc just feels bang on and comfort is outstanding. I'll have a good listen later but busy converting more FLAC albums to PGGB format.

Mar 25, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #4,445 of 5,587
Yes... I like the extra spatial detail but if you pop on some EDM they suck the life out of the low end. The hybrids shine there.

I've been lucky so far with tubes. I've only had one really duff tube (touching wood)... Those Siemens tubes I mentioned above are amazing when you can find them. If you like the Mullard m8136, you'd like the Siemens 5814a Triple Mica tubes. The 60's are supposed to be better than the 70's versions but time will tell. The 70's version was amazing so hell, if it sounds the same I'd be happy at that!

One thing I'd say about the new Meze pads... they seem really well made. The shape, cut of material etc just feels bang on and comfort is outstanding. I'll have a good listen later but busy converting more FLAC albums to PGGB format.
I love the Mullard M8136 12AU7s. I find them way superior to any other 12AU7s, although I have to add I am still relatively new to tubes and only heard a handful of 12AU7s. The Mullard M8136s have the most balanced sound with the best body, bass extension, impact and clarity so far. Of course, they have to be matched with the proper 6V6s on my HA-3A, but they are solid winners for me so far.

I will keep an eye out on the Siemens offerings, as others mentioned it too, I just still find all the tube variations a bit overwhelming to take in. Still feels a bit like a lottery to me even with the same names. Platters, colours, shapes and manufacturing dates all can make a difference. Yet in general I am in love with tube sound: sweet, spacious, natural. I prefer my current Cayin amp with my chosen NOS tubes to any SS amps I have ever owned including GSX-Mini, iFi Signature iCan, Bryston BHA-1, Soloist 3XP, Chord TT2.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #4,446 of 5,587
I'm with you there... both the M8136 and Tube amps vs SS. Best move I ever made! Love em :L3000:

Oh... also keep an eye open for Telefunken ECC82's... they're rather nice as well. More dynamic than the M8136 but a really nice alternative when switching around.

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #4,448 of 5,587
There was a glass protection screen in front of the tubes on the Nirvana. It would protect them from someone (better half) leaning over to the window and bumping them.

Well, as I preferred the screen off, I found it easier to ban her from the office 😂

Of course, it meant dusting duties fell to me but hell, it was a small price to pay :L3000:

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #4,449 of 5,587
There was a glass protection screen in front of the tubes on the Nirvana. It would protect them from someone (better half) leaning over to the window and bumping them.

Well, as I preferred the screen off, I found it easier to ban her from the office 😂

Of course, it meant dusting duties fell to me but hell, it was a small price to pay :L3000:
Haha, yes! It is more about protection from others, but have to add I need to protect myself too. There was a tube burn happening a few weeks ago. :)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #4,450 of 5,587
I think what we sometimes forget is that at the end of the day we love music and the equipment in our audio chain including our headphones are tools to deliver, to connect us with music.

Sure, you can get lost in certain technicalities of certain equipment, stop and admire them for some time. But after the initial admiration you have to ask yourself if they will really help you to connect with your music?

I have heard a good amount of technically brilliant amps, DACs and headphones from the Chord DAVE to Susvara, Chord TT2, HE1000SE and so on. Yet for me I want something tangible, meat on the bones, lifelike, something I can virtually touch and feel, connect with. To me this is good R2R DAC tech and tube amplification. And the Elites are pretty awesome headphones to sit on top of this as an audio tool that prioritises a tonally sweet, lifelike reproduction instead of only being an analytical machine and polished studio tool (like the LCD-5 for example).

I was surprised today, how much more I prefer my Pegasus R2R (with purple fuse upgrade) and Cayin HA-3A (with NOS tubes) versus the otherwise really good Naim Atom. What does it mean? Do I finally know what I like? Is R2R and tubes a recipe for others too? Who knows. At the end of the day I am simply loving and appreciating what I have now.

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #4,451 of 5,587
My Elites arrived yesterday and I started coming from Empyrean with angled pads to Elite with the angled pads and I was planning on really taking my time to decide between the 2.
Please don't get me wrong, the Empyrean is a very good headphone but Elite is really living up to it's name. The Elite is giving me all that Empyrean was giving but just a bit more (if that makes any sense). Don't expect a night and day difference but it's there, always there. Without knowing what Elite would bring I would be very happy with Empyrean but now... let's just say that I just sold my Empyrean :wink:

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #4,452 of 5,587
Well… that didn’t take long. Ordered them 24hrs ago and they’re already here. Along with a long awaited 1960s Siemens Long Plate Triple mica tube.

I have a feeling this evening will be a good one… music, new toys and a dram or two of single malt!

D09C4080-8EB1-4E17-847E-16AD8387E672.jpeg
Wow, 24hrs and they already landed?! That’s impressive! Please let us know your thoughts!

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #4,453 of 5,587
My Elites arrived yesterday and I started coming from Empyrean with angled pads to Elite with the angled pads and I was planning on really taking my time to decide between the 2.
Please don't get me wrong, the Empyrean is a very good headphone but Elite is really living up to it's name. The Elite is giving me all that Empyrean was giving but just a bit more (if that makes any sense). Don't expect a night and day difference but it's there, always there. Without knowing what Elite would bring I would be very happy with Empyrean but now... let's just say that I just sold my Empyrean :wink:
They are completely different headphones. That thinner and stiffer diaphragm makes a huge difference. I like the Empyreans too, but IMO there is no real contest between the two top Mezes. I don't understand those reviewers who say the Elite is only a better version of the Empyrean. That is a very superficial statement. The Elites are next level compared to the lovely Empyreans. A clear and more mature evolution levelled up.

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #4,454 of 5,587
I think what we sometimes forget is that at the end of the day we love music and the equipment in our audio chain including our headphones are tools to deliver, to connect us with music.

Sure, you can get lost in certain technicalities of certain equipment, stop and admire them for some time. But after the initial admiration you have to ask yourself if they will really help you to connect with your music?

I have heard a good amount of technically brilliant amps, DACs and headphones from the Chord DAVE to Susvara, Chord TT2, HE1000SE and so on. Yet for me I want something tangible, meat on the bones, lifelike, something I can virtually touch and feel, connect with. To me this is good R2R DAC tech and tube amplification. And the Elites are pretty awesome headphones to sit on top of this as an audio tool that prioritises a tonally sweet, lifelike reproduction instead of only being an analytical machine and polished studio tool (like the LCD-5 for example).

I was surprised today, how much more I prefer my Pegasus R2R (with purple fuse upgrade) and Cayin HA-3A (with NOS tubes) versus the otherwise really good Naim Atom. What does it mean? Do I finally know what I like? Is R2R and tubes a recipe for others too? Who knows. At the end of the day I am simply loving and appreciating what I have now.

I really like the Naim Atom HE on it's own... and it performs great as a pre into the Nirvana...but when I had to send the Nirvana in for repair, I found it hard not having it. The music just felt lacking in comparison. Once you go tubes it's hard to go back to SS only. But, I do love the functionality of the HE so for me it's an ideal partner to the Nirvana. I also like to minimise the amount of gear I use these days... used to have a complex system and now it's two boxes! Less gear more music!

@juannycash Will do... it'll take a few days to get used to them and swap around with the others but so far.... they score very highly in terms of comfort alone. Most comfortable by far!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #4,455 of 5,587
I really like the Naim Atom HE on it's own... and it performs great as a pre into the Nirvana...but when I had to send the Nirvana in for repair, I found it hard not having it. The music just felt lacking in comparison. Once you go tubes it's hard to go back to SS only. But, I do love the functionality of the HE so for me it's an ideal partner to the Nirvana. I also like to minimise the amount of gear I use these days... used to have a complex system and now it's two boxes! Less gear more music!

@juannycash Will do... it'll take a few days to get used to them and swap around with the others but so far.... they score very highly in terms of comfort alone. Most comfortable by far!
The Uniti Atom is extremely convenient, multifunctional and easy to use. IMO this makes it very appealing, and sound quality is more than decent too. It should satisfy 60%-80% of headphone users easily. The rest of us keep searching and paying a lot more money for those relatively small improvements.

I don't think I could ever go back to SS only after tubes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back