Meze Audio 109Pro - the all-new Dual-Composites dynamic headphone
Sep 15, 2022 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21
Dear friends of Head-Fi,

We know you’ve all been waiting patiently, so here it finally is! After much anticipation, we are beyond excited to officially introduce you to the newest addition to our lineup of Romanian-made products: the 109 PRO!

Made from carefully curated and responsibly sourced materials, including walnut wood, zinc, manganese steel and vegan leather, the 109 PRO is a comfortable, lightweight, yet highly durable headphone capable of producing a natural, vivid, engaging listening experience.

Powered by a 50 mm dynamic driver, this headphone is a demonstration of our commitment to go beyond the faithful reproduction of sound to deliver pure emotion.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-15 at 17.31.28.jpeg

How we’re making this happen:

At the heart of the headphone is the 109 series Dual-Composites diaphragm featuring a Beryllium-coated semicrystalline polymer torus, a cellulose-carbon fiber composite dome and a copper-zinc alloy ring stabilizer.

• The superlight but stiff cellulose composite reinforced with carbon fiber makes it possible for the W-shaped dome to reproduce high frequencies (5Hz-30KHz) with incredible detail, clarity and definition. This composite is superior to conventional alternatives used in dynamic drivers, and its low mass and stiffness helps avoid resonances that may lead to harmonic distortion.

• The ultra-thin torus (22 microns) surrounding the dome is constructed out of a Beryllium-coated semicrystalline polymer, which contributes to greater clarity and a faster transient response. Around the circumference of the membrane, the ring-shaped stabilizer made of copper-zinc alloy improves the absorption of vibrations to reduce distortion even further.

• The diaphragm is encased in a high-precision machined aluminum frame that has superior rigidity to typical plastic frames and retains perfect surface flatness, which is essential for the precision assembly with the diaphragm.
As our first dynamic open-back headphone, the 109 PRO is made to surpass even our highest standards of comfort, design and audio reproduction. We hope you’ll love it just as much as we do!

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-15 at 17.31.34.jpeg

TECH SPECS
  • Transducer Size: 50mm
  • Frequency Response: 5Hz - 30KHz
  • Sensitivity: 112dB SPI at 1KHz, 1mW
  • Impedance: 40 Ω
  • Weight: 375 gr (13 oz) without cables
  • Ear-Cups Black Walnut Wood

ACCESSORIES
  • Case: Hard EVA pouch
  • Two cables included:
    • 1.5m soft TPE cable with 3.5mm jack
    • 3m soft TPE cable with 3.5mm jack
  • Adapters - 6.3mm jack adapter

Want to know more? Head over to 109Pro office website.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 15, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 21
Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 21

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 21

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 21
Credit to @Resolve for the measurements and his impressions. As always his work is top notch and very much appreciated.

Meze 109 Pro.jpg

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 21

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 21
Questions for Meze. In the pictures I have seen of the driver, there is of course a metal mesh to protect the driver from being damaged by direct contact. But I don't see any kind of fabric mesh to keep dust, debris and hairs out of the driver. Usually there is some sort of fabric mesh either over the driver or part of the earpads to keep anything from getting into the driver. I realize not having a mesh will probably give a more open sound but I would worry about long term problems. Am I wrong in not seeing any kind of mesh protection for the driver?

And this is just my personal observation, but from reading about the 109 Pro for months and seeing projected pricing, I was hoping for the price to be $699. I will wait for an open box or used one if I decide to purchase. Not complaining about the pricing as I know an immense amount of time and effort have been put into getting it to market, just my own personal situation.

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 21
Questions for Meze. In the pictures I have seen of the driver, there is of course a metal mesh to protect the driver from being damaged by direct contact. But I don't see any kind of fabric mesh to keep dust, debris and hairs out of the driver. Usually there is some sort of fabric mesh either over the driver or part of the earpads to keep anything from getting into the driver. I realize not having a mesh will probably give a more open sound but I would worry about long term problems. Am I wrong in not seeing any kind of mesh protection for the driver?

And this is just my personal observation, but from reading about the 109 Pro for months and seeing projected pricing, I was hoping for the price to be $699. I will wait for an open box or used one if I decide to purchase. Not complaining about the pricing as I know an immense amount of time and effort have been put into getting it to market, just my own personal situation.
I had the same exact thing on my mind

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 21
Heard about these when first announced and was hoping for 99 Classics pricing but I guess I'll be passing on these. Look great though.

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 21
I bought them. I'll have them on Saturday. I'm optimistic and I of course expect them to sound good but I'm also factoring build, the quality of interacting with them and comfort in. In the same way I won't like something that sounds bad I also don't like things that sound good but fail at build, interaction and comfort. We'll see if they're good but also how relevant their pricing is once they're in hand and over ear.

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 21
I bought them. I'll have them on Saturday. I'm optimistic and I of course expect them to sound good but I'm also factoring build, the quality of interacting with them and comfort in. In the same way I won't like something that sounds bad I also don't like things that sound good but fail at build, interaction and comfort. We'll see if they're good but also how relevant their pricing is once they're in hand and over ear.
I got them today and I'm giving them the once over. Initially I have a migraine so I'll drop in tomorrow sometime with first impressions when sound doesn't hurt my head.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 21
And I thought I was having a good day already....

some hifi announcements get me WAAAAY more excited than others...
this is my favorite hifi news of 2022 (although Mojo2 did make me feel a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling towards the industry...-not that I have looked into them.)

Meze seem to be capable of 'divining' some great designs in terms of delivering natural music, and an appreciatable sound quality.
The 99s, to me, seem like a gift to audiofoolz (like my home seems to contain), and I know of people who own HD800S and want some 99 for 'closed back sound'.
Dekoni pads for the 99 still waiting for- perhaps I should just keep my focus on the 'horizon'.

Nice one team Meze- whatever you throw away (in terms of design testing) certainly makes the products that make it to retail absolute short list products.
Well done (keep up the good work)
'smiles with'

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #15 of 21
I'm not a fan of the Empyrean and also not of the Elite from their tonal performance👎
but for their 109Pro 👍
Actually, the Liric should have sounded like this for 2.000 euros
So my blessing and thumb gets the Pro 👍👍

NOMAX

@ Mircea....well done 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back