Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #616 of 3,450
Ok, you're triggering the OCD crowd. Please confirm the headphone stand has rubber feet or at least don't take pics of your V550 with the scratched cabinet :D
rubber feet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #617 of 3,450
Has anyone tried EQing the 109s? Looking at the FR graph, I would personally want to apply a high shelf down at around 10khz. Otherwise the FR looks quite good. Maybe a touch of wide peak gain centered around 1800khz as well. Anyone tried and can comment on sound quality after EQ?
here you go buddy :
Preamp: -4.8 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 97 Hz Gain 20.0 dB Q 0.70
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 105 Hz Gain -11.8 dB Q 0.70 -> Bass
Filter 3: ON LS Fc 210 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 0.70 -> Warmth
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 400 Hz Gain -3.8 dB Q 0.24
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1050 Hz Gain 4.1 dB Q 0.18
Filter 6: ON HS Fc 1800 Hz Gain 9.9 dB Q 0.58 -> Midrange accuracy / shoutiness
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain -16.1 dB Q 0.90
Filter 8: ON HS Fc 7900 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 0.70 -> Timbral accuracy / sibilance
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 0.6 dB Q 3.50
Filter 10: ON HS Fc 11000 Hz Gain -9.3 dB Q 0.70 -> Airiness

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #618 of 3,450
Have had the 109’s for just shy of a week. Absolutely love them. Have strong preference for IEM’s but occasionally try headphones that mostly end up on eBay. These are keepers. Lovely build, super comfy, great technical ability, realistic timbre particularly vocals and an overall very enjoyable tuning. Value for money is off the charts on these IMHO.

Great synergy with the RS6. Obviously won’t be the last word on technical performance or resolution, but I find really quite addictive as a lively, fun, slightly warm pairing excelling on vocals.

Only downside; stock cable is utter garbage but that’s par for the course at this price point I guess.
Nah, I don't think that's at this price point. Even the stock cables for the 99 Classics are much better than this garbage.
Heck, I might throw the stock cables for the 109 in the trash can, not kidding really. It's laying around in my room collecting dust. Have no idea why Meze simply couldn't include the Liric cables.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #619 of 3,450
Nah, I don't think that's at this price point. Even the stock cables for the 99 Classics are much better than this garbage.
Heck, I might throw the stock cables for the 109 in the trash can, not kidding really. It's laying around in my room collecting dust. Have no idea why Meze simply couldn't include the Liric cables.
Interesting. I didn't even touch the stock cables as I already had a balanced cable from Meze. I might try just to see, but their balanced upgrade cable is good. I think it was around $60? Something like that.

It's 2.5mm unless there was some other option I missed. Haha, I got a little dongle going on there on my desktop. XLR to 2.5mm and then into ifi iematch to attenuate the insanity of the amp I have. However, on the go (aka my couch downstairs, not going far, I'm not traveling with these) with the BTR5 it's perfectly fine as it has 2.5mm out.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #621 of 3,450
The 99 cups were too narrow and too shallow.

How is the 109 in that regard?
Big, fluffy, soft, velour.

Interesting. I didn't even touch the stock cables as I already had a balanced cable from Meze. I might try just to see, but their balanced upgrade cable is good. I think it was around $60? Something like that.

It's 2.5mm unless there was some other option I missed. Haha, I got a little dongle going on there on my desktop. XLR to 2.5mm and then into ifi iematch to attenuate the insanity of the amp I have. However, on the go (aka my couch downstairs, not going far, I'm not traveling with these) with the BTR5 it's perfectly fine as it has 2.5mm out.
Don't touch the stock cables or they will give you ptsd.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #622 of 3,450
Sep 29, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #623 of 3,450
Little disclaimer...at Canjam London this year I briefly heard the Clear MG but this was in a noisy environment so please feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt.

All the feedback I heard of the Clear MG prior to listening to it aligned perfectly with what I heard. If you look at frequency response graphs of both the original Clear and the Clear MG...you can clearly see that the MG would influence a slightly warmer tonality. Of course, as you probably already know, frequency response graphs don't tell the whole picture, however, I know for a fact that almost all feedback from people who've compared the Clears/Clear MG say the MG is definitely warmer.

Now...I got the OG Clears...I had an extensive listen to the 109 Pros and they subjectively sounded a little brighter than my Clear...not by much though. This could be a perception of the 109 Pros cause there appears to be less mid bass punch on them vs the OG Clears which could appear to make the Meze's sound brighter.

Audio is complicated and so are our ears lol....it's hard to describe things when there are so many damn variables at play that changes how we perceive sound, dammit lol

Ultimately...if you're really interested in the 109 Pros...you'll just have to make that leap of faith and purchase them. It's the only way you'll get to hear them properly on your own setup. If you buy them and realise that they're not for you....well, you'll have to cross that road when it comes buddy! :grimacing:
Were the 109s you heard fresh and new, or did they have some decent hours on them?

Sep 29, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #624 of 3,450
The 99 cups were too narrow and too shallow.

How is the 109 in that regard?
I never used the 99, I can only compare to the HD800s next to me but they aren't quite to HD800s level of space. They are not Focal sized though. My ears will touch the inside of virtually all focal headphones to an annoying degree. With the 109 I can sense just a slight touch... sometimes not. I'm not sure what makes it different. End result though is as far as ear space goes these are just one level below HD800s. Probably the same amount of space I had with the Arya / Ananda in terms of depth.

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #625 of 3,450
I never used the 99, I can only compare to the HD800s next to me but they aren't quite to HD800s level of space. They are not Focal sized though. My ears will touch the inside of virtually all focal headphones to an annoying degree. With the 109 I can sense just a slight touch... sometimes not. I'm not sure what makes it different. End result though is as far as ear space goes these are just one level below HD800s. Probably the same amount of space I had with the Arya / Ananda in terms of depth.

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #628 of 3,450
How are people liking the 109 for rock and metal?
I like the 109 for rock. Actually I like it on a tube amp for classic rock. Though typically like it on a solid state amp. I like it both ways, but more so on solid state, the one genre of music (so far) that I don't mind the tube amp for is rock.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #629 of 3,450
How are people liking the 109 for rock and metal?
It's a pretty fun all-rounder. Great with most genres. There are a lot of poorly recorded/mastered, but otherwise fantastic rock and metal albums. The 109 Pro won't do much to hide that, but for the worst offenders a little EQ really takes the edge off.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #630 of 3,450
It's a pretty fun all-rounder. Great with most genres. There are a lot of poorly recorded/mastered, but otherwise fantastic rock and metal albums. The 109 Pro won't do much to hide that, but for the worst offenders a little EQ really takes the edge off.
That's good to know. I'll definitely take that into consideration. I have quite a bit of rare, lesser known hair metal band albums. Rough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back