Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #466 of 3,412
I think I've checked them all. I was hoping someone would know where to find one in stock now. I'll just have to keep checking for stock.
The 4.4mm version is quite popular and seems to be sold out everywhere in the US. I'd reach out to all those who carry it to see when they expect new stock, perhaps they'll do a special order/preorder for you as well. An alternative is to go with the 2.5mm version, which is the same length and is in stock, and use an adapter.

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #467 of 3,412
Yeah, I think I may end up returning these later this week. I don't want to, but the lack of protection on the driver is really a dealbreaker for me. It absolutely sucks as these may be my favorite headphones of all time (at least that I've had the opportunity to use) between the comfort, price, build, and overall fun I'm having with them. But I'm just too paranoid to keep them long-term with the drivers exposed as they are.

Maybe Meze will look through this thread and implement some kind of mesh for future shipments of these.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #468 of 3,412
I think you can blow canned air over the surface of the driver to remove any dust particles. At least, most headphone driver can handle that amount of torque as long as you’re not blasting right into the driver.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #469 of 3,412
Yeah, I think I may end up returning these later this week. I don't want to, but the lack of protection on the driver is really a dealbreaker for me. It absolutely sucks as these may be my favorite headphones of all time (at least that I've had the opportunity to use) between the comfort, price, build, and overall fun I'm having with them. But I'm just too paranoid to keep them long-term with the drivers exposed as they are.

Maybe Meze will look through this thread and implement some kind of mesh for future shipments of these.
I personally wouldn't rush with a return. Wait for Meze's reaction first, they probably have an explanation that would calm most people down. I have owned the Empyrean and Elite for years and never had any issues with hair/dust/dead skin inside the cups. They look as clean as on day one, although I keep them on an omega stand when not in use. Perhaps I just shed skin slower than most other audiophiles? :D
A dynamic diaphragm is very different though, but the mesh might actually provide enough protection or perhaps the 109s diaphragm material is less prone to these things.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #470 of 3,412
I personally wouldn't rush with a return. Wait for Meze's reaction first, they probably have an explanation that would calm most people down. I have owned the Empyrean and Elite for years and never had any issues with hair/dust/dead skin inside the cups. They look as clean as on day one, although I keep them on an omega stand when not in use. Perhaps I just shed skin slower than most other audiophiles? :D
A dynamic diaphragm is very different though, but the mesh might actually provide enough protection or perhaps the 109s diaphragm material is less prone to these things.
You're probably right, but I'd still rather return them and then wait to buy them again down the road once more people can comment on this design (it'll probably take at least a few weeks before enough feedback is in to make that decision).

Just rather be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to making returns.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #471 of 3,412

I think you can blow canned air over the surface of the driver to remove any dust particles. At least, most headphone driver can handle that amount of torque as long as you’re not blasting right into the driver.
A rocket blower like the ones used by photographers is probably better than canned air.

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #472 of 3,412
Could someone please measure the inner dimension of the pads? Like on this picture:
* Bolded lines red and orange: inner width and heigh of the pads (space for ear)
* Bolded blue lines, how far driver is from the edge of tha pad that touches with head.
* Thin red and orange line: inner pad dimensions from the place when pad starts to curve.
@benjifx19 @CTR640 , anyone?
1663676150885.png
not sure if anyone replied to you on this one. i have to go find a better ruler here. but i can measure this for you.

the shorter red line is just over 3 inches. the shorter orange is about 2.25" but i've got rudamentary tools here. measuring where it starts to curve sounds even less accurate. plenty of space for my ears though I may have small ears. i will try to follow up tonight.

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #473 of 3,412
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #476 of 3,412
Obviously you not read my post since i wrote focals have a small mesh . "Since focal headphones do not have the grill either, only a really small mesh between the driver and the ear." With grill I meant protection....
Sounds like a language barrier, there is "a honeycomb metal grill" and a mesh glued to it, nothing is "exposed".
Just look at the picture, at least it is the way it's on Clear MG, do you own some Focal model that have drivers naked without metal honeycomb with mesh in front? Mind posting picture?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #477 of 3,412
My Elegias also have this mesh. My new (came today, yay!) 109 Pro does not. The one thing that's not really so great about the idea of putting the headphones back into the case when not using them is that you have to take the cable off because it won't zip closed with the cable plugged in to the ear cups. Maybe just resting it closed is enough?

It would be nice to have some feeling of protection here. Looking at it, gotta be honest - it's pretty darn open there.

Does the mesh offer that much protection though? It's not super fine and it may offer some, but it's not like poking something in there is going to be saved by the thin mesh. I'm sure it may help with hair maybe...I can see holes in that mesh on the Focal headphones with my eyes so hairs are going to go through. Sure, it may not be that easy, but it can happen. Dust? Absolutely getting in there.

But sure, a blower brush that you'd have from photography (if people still use these, I do have one somewhere) should work fine as it's very gentle. Or a turkey baster haha. Something to just gently blow DRY air. Not your mouth, especially if you're already drooling over these headphones.

You know, I've been losing hair...I might as well just shave it all off. Problem solved!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #478 of 3,412
These headphones sound pretty great. EQ is pretty minimal, which is also great.

The smaller cable that came in my box doesn't work. Yikes!

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #479 of 3,412
You're not crazy, lol. I have the Liric as well (my end game closed back) and these sound better (in my opinion at least. I also think the 109's sound better than the Empryeans as well, so maybe I'm also crazy 😂). These really punch WAY above their price range. I just think many people aren't giving these a chance since Meze seems to have this stigma from many enthusiasts that the sound quality of their headphones don't match their asking price.
I think that says nothing about the 109. The Liric is sound wise heavyly overpriced. Build quality like a 2000 usd and sound wise like a 500-700 usd headphone. Especially if you compare to the Focals or Hifiman. So could be that the 109 is normal priced.

Michaels reaction of directors Garage in terms of the Lirics price is priceless and he has a lot of much more expensive stuff in his videos:

But I like the Liric a lot for build and there is more than sound quality.

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #480 of 3,412
I think that says nothing about the 109. The Liric is sound wise heavyly overpriced. Build quality like a 2000 usd and sound wise like a 500-700 usd headphone. Especially if you compare to the Focals or Hifiman. So could be that the 109 is normal priced.

Michaels reaction of directors Garage in terms of the Lirics price is priceless and he has a lot of much more expensive stuff in his videos:

But I like the Liric a lot for build and there is more than sound quality.

I definitely disagree about the Liric sounding like $500 cans. What? LOL, dude.... have you heard the Liric's? They sound spectacular, especially with a bit of EQ. It's one thing to say you don't like their sound signature but they do not sound cheap at all man. They're right up there with the Focal Stellias (which are $1,000 more btw). And if you check out most reviews on Youtube they'd agree more with my assessment than the one you posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back